Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 9,578 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I recently picked up a brochure at my door regarding Mobile Internet service from a company called "Clear/Clearwire". They provide wireless internet service for laptops, home, and business.

Just wondering if anybody's had any experience with this company and the reliability of the service. I'll greatly appreciate any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:52 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,537,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly0239 View Post
Hello everybody,

I recently picked up a brochure at my door regarding Mobile Internet service from a company called "Clear/Clearwire". They provide wireless internet service for laptops, home, and business.

Just wondering if anybody's had any experience with this company and the reliability of the service. I'll greatly appreciate any feedback!

Let's see............... this is your very first post and you seem to be advertising a mobile internet service.

I flagged it.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:54 PM

290 posts, read 1,180,834 times
I agree with Blazer, but I'll reply. I've seen the card/brochure too. From what I understand that this is a wireless service based on Wimax. There are multiple factors to the service that I can think of (from the top of my head):

1. Over subscription ratio at the access point and the wireless channel
2. Wireless signal quality/strength at your location
3. Over subscription from the tower to Clearwire's pop
4. Clearwire's over subscription ratio at their links to the Internet providers

this just covers the performance you will experience. A lot of these are unknown and most providers will not disclose. There are also many other factors such as the company's technical competency and operations, redundancies in the system/design and uptime.

In short, if you want a mobile service, I think this service is very promising and probably worthwhile trying. If you want it for your home, it is promising but dependent on many factors. Do they have a trial phase? where you can try for say a month or two and if you're not happy you can cancel? if yes, go for it and let us know what happens.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 AM

5 posts, read 13,373 times
Hi Pauly,

I'm sorry that everyone seems to think you're an advertiser...that sux. I've been hearing alot about Clear lately, and have even considered signing up, but I don't know for sure the reliability of the company. I know they offer month-by-month plans, so if you're willing to shell out for a month, I say go for it. I think the convenience of being able to use a mobile device while on the MAX from Hillsboro to Gresham could definitely be worth it!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,537,162 times
If it's not a back handed advertisment, I apologize.

But I did notice that on the very same day you posted this, advertisements from newbies sprung up all over the various forums. Maybe this was a coincidence.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:30 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,049,927 times
It is, signing up a new account and praising the original poster is a pretty common trick. The guy from state laws just did it, people like the call it viral advertising. Reported.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 AM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
I'm just curious about the responses the original poster has gotten. I'm curious about Clear/WIMAX myself. Does that mean if I make a post inquiring about its quality I'll be "reported" on too? If I happen to turn to the citydata forum for advice on another product, does that mean I'll get reported again? What is the basis for the accusations being thrown at the OP? How do you know he isn't genuine in his request for info? Come on, we should all know that info on the web has to be taken with a grain of salt; but unless you can PROVE the OP's intent, lay off!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:00 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,466 times
They appear to be dumping a TON of $$$ into advertising right now. I saw their truck driving around town during rush hour last night. To me, that smacks of a company who prioritizes sales and not service to existing customers (the "Comcast method").

Old 01-20-2009, 12:20 PM

290 posts, read 1,180,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
They appear to be dumping a TON of $$$ into advertising right now. I saw their truck driving around town during rush hour last night. To me, that smacks of a company who prioritizes sales and not service to existing customers (the "Comcast method").
Advertising is normal.. don't think it is indicative of their service. In fact for being new, I can see why they are spending more on ads.

Like I said in my previous post, there are many dependencies to know if it is worth it or not. Look at the cable service for example. The providers advertise the best possible throughput but forget to mention that a lot of the bandwidth is shared at the neighborhood and backbone and Internet connection levels. This is the nature of the beast. All of them do it. So I would try before committing for a long time.

For me, reliability is most important. I want it consistent even during bad weather. And I want a provider that I can call for help when a problem happens and I want the help staff to have a clue.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,049,927 times
Humm, well could be posted in the proper sub forum //www.city-data.com/forum/internet/

Could be it is phrased an awful lot like puffery. It is very similar to other marketing posts I see. Same odd phrasing and similar play book as the last ad poster, been hearing about a great deal of companies doing viral marketing as the economy gets harder. Companies pull impersonations all the time, heck Belkin just got hammered for paying people to positively review it's products (Belkin: Belkin Apologizes For Review Fraud, Sort Of (http://consumerist.com/5134777/belkin-apologizes-for-review-fraud-sort-of - broken link)).

Also there is only one post, by a brand new person...and the second person to talk about it in a positive fashion is also brand new.

Also that they pretty much molest me every time I walk by, and have been to my home (pretty much broke the guys foot when he stuck it in the door).

Last edited by subsound; 01-20-2009 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland