Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,157 times

Advertisements

My job is transferring me to Hillsboro. I currently live in the Los Angeles area and will be moving out there in April. I'm 25 yrs old, single and I have a dog (she's 50lbs) and a cat. I'm sort of lost when looking for apartments online. I'll be going out to the Portland area apartment hunting sometime between now and April, but I want to be prepared when I go.

My two biggest concerns are my dog and affordability. My dog is approximately 50lbs and I would like to live somewhat close to a park to walk her and play with her. I'm not concerned with the price of the deposits, but I would like to keep my monthly rent under $700.

I'll be working in Hillsboro, but I think I would prefer to live closer to the city or even live in Portland. I actually really enjoy the city and would prefer to have easy access to all it has to offer. I'm not too concerned about commuting because nothing compares to LA traffic.

I'm just really looking for some suggestions because I have no idea what I'm looking at while searching online (it gets to be kind of overwhelming). I don't know what the good neighborhoods are and what would be a good place to live for someone that's young and single.

Last edited by nattie83; 01-21-2009 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: font

Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Most people who work in Hillsboro live in Hillsboro. A certain percentage must commute to Portland. Two people live in Portland and commute to Hillsboro. That was a joke but with some basis in reality. I like Portland too but I live in Hillsboro. I am trying very hard to find a job here but if I must I will commute to PDX. I could have lived there (Portland) but chose not to. Hillsboro is much nicer. It is a little known fact but the average American commute is 20 minutes. As a lifelong NY'er I've never had a commute that was less than an hour. I've gone to Portland for interviews and when I tell them it took an hour to get there they are gobsmacked. They can't imagine sitting on a MAX train for one hour. I actually don't mind it after decades of far less pleasant subway trips that were often lots longer than one hour. Think of how much money and time you could save if you lived a mile or less from work? Portland will always be there when you want it. Forest Park is great for weekend romps with your dog. During the week local green spaces will certainly suffice for doggie's needs. Think about it.

H

Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
I'd agree ... not only that, but you'll get more apartment for your money the further you are from Portland. If you stick somewhat close to the MAX line, getting into town for entertainment will be a lot easier than making the same commute every day to work. And while it's not my side of town, I get the feeling there are more large apartment complexes west of the hills (which basically form the county line between Multnomah & Washington Counties) which would (IMO) afford better living for a young person. Provide you with more services and entertainment "at home."

Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 AM

252 posts, read 960,356 times
I knew a guy who lived downtown and worked out at Intel in Hillsboro and commuted on the MAX everyday, keeping his car parked out at some MAX station in Hillsboro for the last leg to get to work. This wouldn't really work for you though, especially with a big dog. Most of the apartments that you could afford for $700 on the west side of the city of Portland would be too small for a big dog or wouldn't allow a big dog anyway. I would look to Beaverton, near a MAX line like another poster suggested. Being near MAX would make getting into the city much more pleasant (no parking hassels or concerns about drinking and driving).

Old 01-22-2009, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 7,157 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I would prefer to not live in Hillsboro. I've visited when I went out there back in Dec. and though it was very nice; I would rather live closer to Portland. As I mentioned commuting is not an issue as I use to commute 1 1/2 hrs everyday before. I wouldn't mind living in Beaverton, it seems to be a nice go between. Any suggestions of where to find places that are close to the MAX? or any good websites that might point me in the right direction?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 PM

493 posts, read 664,906 times
Check out Bethany Village. I lived at one of the apt complexes right near the shopping center and they were leasing 1 bedroom places for $750 before I moved. You can walk right across the street the shopping center, has a pool/hot tub, should have a garage, and the neighbors are tame. Central Parc was where I lived.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:01 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,320 times
Im also one who would prefer to live right in Portland but if I had to, I would go a little further as long as it was on a max line.
I knew I had the right idea even tho I might have seemed picky about max line accessibility when talking to other people. Its really important to be on it I feel. I think I would prefer NE 82nd, NE 60th and past them tho for living altho Id look in Beaverton.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:35 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Basically housing costs radiate out from the city center on the west side. An apartment suitable for someone with a cat and dog in your price bracket will be difficult to find, let alone close to the city center. If I were in your situation I would send a 'housing wanted' postcard to the Vets in the neighborhoods you desire and ask them to post it on their bb.

All is not lost, read this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/portl...m-renters.html

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 01-31-2009 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: adtl info

Old 02-01-2009, 06:15 AM

92 posts, read 257,047 times
I'm moving to Portland to. Actually, I'm going to be living in Forest Grove where I went to college and commuting to Portland to work - I'm staying for 3 months and then moving to LA. Weird!
I think living close to Portland and commuting to Hillsboro is fine, as long as the cost is worth it to you. I think you'll do just as well living somewhere like Beaverton or even Tigard - there are plenty of places that aren't quite in Portland but close enough to get all the benefits of city. To be honest, I love the whole area; I don't think you can make a wrong choice.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Well, at least you are being MOVED to Portland. It's hard to self-transfer there.

I would say the West Side is better. Cedar Hills/West Slope are nice because more people who work for larger companies (and may be transplants themselves) live there. Living in the granola gulches (such as Hawthorne or Multnomah Village) would be deplorable and depressing...unless you're curio shop, used book store and lesbian-friendly.

If you HAVE to live in Portland, stay where the real estate is nicer and newer, there are more transplants and the neighborhood doesn't seek to make a "statement" of sorts. In orders, look to surround yourself with normal people.

I'm back in CA, but I, too, am originally from LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland