Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:53 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I've never,ever had a problem finding a job and I've been working since I was 16. I'm 52 now, moved to Oregon in November and have yet to be granted an interview. It's tough. I love Oregon but this is getting ridiculous. I'm gonna ride it out, keep sending out at least 10 resumes a day and hope for the best.
Thankfully I have resources to fall back on. No one should move here without a solid job first.
Yup. I am semi-retired, and am extremely fortunate to have a small pension to fall back on. Otherwise, I would not be able to survive here.

Last year, I was offered a good-paying, highly technical job. They came looking for me, not the other way around. I was not able to take the job at that time.

I got a telephone call this week, asking if I was still interested (they still had my resume on hand). I said yes. Now, I was told, they have over 100 well-qualified applicants and are holding interviews next week. A hundred applicants for a part-time job, from no applicants a year ago.

bukuloo - I think everyone wishes you the best. We're all really not that grumpy, just maybe a bit shell-shocked. I am, anyway. If I lived in Fla I'd want to get out as soon as possible, too. Don't let anyone stop you, just have enough for a return ticket to family or friends where ever they may be. FWIW -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 PM

19 posts, read 37,238 times
pdx- is it really that hard to find a job or is everyone making it out to be worse then it really is?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:38 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a113antonia View Post
pdx- is it really that hard to find a job or is everyone making it out to be worse then it really is?
Feel free to try it out, best of luck for you to succeed. If not tell me what corner you're panhandling on and I'll give you a few bucks. I wouldn't risk my family to this situation, I like living indoors, but to each their own...

Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
A friend's son (I forgot with what degree) moved here in August. He applied the other day for a day time bartender job at a local bowling alley and there were 40 people applying for that part-time job. Intel just laid off techies and Freightliner is going to lay off white collar workers in the very near future.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Shell shocked is a good term for it. Every day more businesses close. I still like to think that anyone who really desires it can find work but...wth. I'm just glad I'm not looking.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:15 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I must say I find this thread pretty discouraging. My brother and I are hoping to move to Portland at least eventually, but this puts quite a damper on it. What about blue-collar type jobs? I currently work in a warehouse and was hoping to do the same when I move. Looking online I found one or two openings for similar things, but if I had to compete for 100 other applicants the odds wouldn't be very good. Granted, if they were all former IT people or similar I suppose I would have the advantage of experience, but still...

Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Eventually is good...maybe by the time you're ready to move, this recession or whatever it is will be over. I think that blue collar jobs are being hit pretty hard right now as well.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I suppose I won't have much choice. I've considered moving to Portland if things get better or I lose my job here. Option #2 wouldn't be the best idea, but on the other hand, if I didn't have a job anyway, why not? Hopefully it won't come to that, but things aren't looking good. I hope to visit in May or June, regardless.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:14 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I must say I find this thread pretty discouraging. My brother and I are hoping to move to Portland at least eventually, but this puts quite a damper on it. What about blue-collar type jobs? I currently work in a warehouse and was hoping to do the same when I move. Looking online I found one or two openings for similar things, but if I had to compete for 100 other applicants the odds wouldn't be very good. Granted, if they were all former IT people or similar I suppose I would have the advantage of experience, but still...
It is what it is. Check out the Portland Tribune on this subject.

Oregon’s unemployment rate climbs to 9 percent

Old 01-28-2009, 02:27 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,967 times
Im also in FL looking to move out and go there to Portland but i might be in the same exact boat as bukuloo. Gotta find out more tho.
Im looking to get there in a year and a half at most or before I turn 30.
I have a job coming up that pays under 10 dollars to start but a yrs worth of work can do the trick I think then I can go out there.
I am looking at taking 3-4 bags to live out of when I do make the trip and I have no furniture to bring so I can take everything I need in my car. I envision a big adventure when I can finally do it and get out of this hotbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland