U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:09 AM

38 posts, read 160,683 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I'm visiting soon to look around. If we can move to Beaverton (husband gets a job) we want to live in an area of Beaverton that is safe and has good schools. I know that this is most of Beaverton. I also know that some areas of Beaverton are more expensive than others. Can any locals recommend more affordable areas of Beaverton that don't sacrifice safety and school quality? Either specific areas (near _ park) or neighborhoods. Schools don't need to be the absolute best, but should be good, most of the schools in Beaverton would be fine. I also prefer areas that are a little more established vs. new homes with no trees but it's not a priority.

Thanks so much!
Allison
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 10:35 AM

5,274 posts, read 13,843,767 times
Although I try and avoid the Beaverton area due the screwball way the streets are laid out, I did speak to a friend there and 30 year Beaverton resident. She states that pretty much all the schools are the same. However, as far as a place to live, she states to avoid the blocks around large apartment areas as there tends to be a lot of crime and filth. The neighborhoods away from those areas are pretty much the same (except for the newer sub divisions). Prices are dropping fast and if you're shrewed, you can make a very good deal on a house.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:51 AM

588 posts, read 2,737,723 times
South Beaverton has well established neighborhoods and good schools. The Murray Hill area has very good schools, but also is very pricey. Northern areas of Beaverton, in the Bethany and Cedar Mill region also have nice neighborhoods and schools Stay away from areas around Aloha, an unincorporated area between Beaverton and Hillsboro. Every house in Beaverton is supposedly within walking distance to a park. The Tualatin Hills Nature park is very nice, as is the Fanno Creek greenway in south Beaverton.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Default thanks

Thanks guys for taking the time to post.
It sounds I have a lot of good options. I love that there are so many parks there. Where I live, we don't have that. Going to the park with my kids is probably my favorite thing to do.
The apartment areas are a no-go and it sounds like Murray Hill is a little pricey. I like that there is a more established area. Is South Beaverton as pricey as Murray Hill (in general)?

Any other areas that are established and more affordable than say, Murray Hill?

Old 01-24-2009, 01:51 PM

588 posts, read 2,737,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allimiller View Post
The apartment areas are a no-go and it sounds like Murray Hill is a little pricey. I like that there is a more established area. Is South Beaverton as pricey as Murray Hill (in general)?

Any other areas that are established and more affordable than say, Murray Hill?
I would say the Murray Hill and nearby Cooper Mountain is the most expensive area in Beaverton proper. For what its worth, I live in south Beaverton and really enjoy the area. The houses range from 15-35 years old, and there are lots of trees. I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old in the nearby public school. The school gets high ratings and has lots of parental involvement, which is good. You can go to Windermere Real Estate and type in zip code 97008 to see all the current for sale homes in the south Beaverton area, as well as their exact location.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:35 PM

Default woo, trees!

Thanks Juggler, I really appreciate it. If I had the choice, I would definitely live in an area with older homes and more mature trees. I used to know someone who lives north of 26 and around her area are homes that all look the same (all new) and there are no trees. It's actually quite ugly. I was hoping that all of Beaverton wasn't like that. Thanks for the info.

I've read all over this board that people are saying to stay away from Aloha. I know the schools in the Aloha area are not good, but is it actually unsafe, or just unsafe for Beaverton? I can't say that i'm interested in living near there after all that i've read, but i'm just curious.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:20 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,946,453 times
Look at Hyland Hills and Cedar Mill. They are more established neighborhoods than Murray Hill yet still pretty desirable.

I have lived in the Aloha area for 1.5 years and have not had any problems. However, there is an alarming increase in grafitti tagging. In general, the Aloha area has some rougher parts that I wouldn't consider, but there are some very decent neighborhoods as well.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:59 PM

John, Thanks for the info on the areas to check out! Are the areas you mentioned (Hyland Hills and Cedar Mill) less expensive than Murray Hill and Cooper Mountain? I'm definitely looking for the most affordable-nice area of Beaverton (good schools, safe, neighborhood-like vs. being on a large street).

Also, thanks for the info on Aloha. My husband lived in an area of Beaverton (only for 8 months-before we were married-he couldn't get a job and moved back) that was close to Aloha. He said he didn't think Aloha was all that bad. Maybe it's just "bad" compared to Beaverton. To my knowledge, schools in Aloha aren't good, so I probably wouldn't consider the area. However, if I were looking there, what areas are "decent"?

Thanks!
Allison

Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM

493 posts, read 611,699 times
Aloha is mostly part of Beaverton school district but city itself has gone downhill. There's really nothing stopping you from any of the communities on the west side of the river.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:38 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,847,460 times
For older homes try the Terra Linda or Oak Hill Neighborhoods in Cedar Mill. Both have grade schools right in the subdivisions. Sunset High is a 5-10 minute walk from Terra Linda. Terra Linda is still unincorporated, so real estate taxes are lower. Plus, there's a neighborhood association, but no HMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland