Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,152 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband and I have recently moved here from out of state, and I would love to start making some new friends. I travel a lot for work, and my husband works quite a bit as well. He has some networking things through his new job, but I don't have anything like it. I still work out of the state. Where is a good way to meet new people here in town? We live in Beaverton/Aloha

Thanks!!

Bridget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Bergfreunde Ski Club - Portland, Oregon

There are a lot of walking, hiking, and other types of athletic social groups in this area. I think the one above generally attracts 40+ age; my dental hygenist belongs to it.

If you're into outdoor activities, check with an REI store (there's one in Tualatin). They have intro groups and instruction classes for camping, skiing, etc.

Oh, there are several photography groups around town. I don't know about BVO, but I am sure they have community art classes, language classes and bird-watching groups, etc. Call the city ask to be added to their mailing list for the Community Center.

That's all I can think of for now. Welcome to Oregon!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:20 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
happened upon this thread.oh and hi Bridget!! Welcome!!
Sue, I see that you posted about photography groups and possibly birding.....we live in Newberg but hey Beaverton,Tigard and such are really nearby; hubby and I would love to get involved with groups like those. Can you direct me to a link or site I can check into that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Bergfreunde Ski Club - Portland, Oregon

There are a lot of walking, hiking, and other types of athletic social groups in this area. I think the one above generally attracts 40+ age; my dental hygenist belongs to it.

If you're into outdoor activities, check with an REI store (there's one in Tualatin). They have intro groups and instruction classes for camping, skiing, etc.

Oh, there are several photography groups around town. I don't know about BVO, but I am sure they have community art classes, language classes and bird-watching groups, etc. Call the city ask to be added to their mailing list for the Community Center.

That's all I can think of for now. Welcome to Oregon!

Old 01-26-2009, 11:01 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
I'll second the welcome to the Portland area.

To search out new friends, I think you need to decide first where your interests lie. Join a club, a group, take a class. Find people of like interests. In my adult years, it seems that the friends I make share common interests more than just proximity.

A few online resources for some groups might be:

Hands On coordinates ongoing or one-time volunteer events.

PortlandFood is a message board that often organizes casual events to visit Portland area restaurants.

Meet In Portland group has all kinds of activities planned by its members.

Meet Up has all kinds of groups with planned meetings or events.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 AM

28 posts, read 94,411 times
I don't actually live there yet, but at some point in my research I found this website ||Oregon Active - Adventures|| It seems like it would be a lot of fun.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:33 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
DreamWeavin', you're off to a good start with what Enrico and bukuloo posted.

I've always received the Activities Catalog from the Parks and Recreation Departments. That's a great way to find out what's going on and they detail free and age-appropriate classes, etc. Sorry, but I am not that familiar with what's going on in the west side, but those free Catalogues are a great way to get started. (PS: they are mailed to every postal customer in a particular city).

Also, check with Audubon Portland. I'm sure they have groups and outings for bird-watching all over the area. I believe there's a wetlands Nature Preserve right there in Beaverton.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:43 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
yea, thanks all; very helpful. I love Oregon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
DreamWeavin', you're off to a good start with what Enrico and bukuloo posted.

I've always received the Activities Catalog from the Parks and Recreation Departments. That's a great way to find out what's going on and they detail free and age-appropriate classes, etc. Sorry, but I am not that familiar with what's going on in the west side, but those free Catalogues are a great way to get started. (PS: they are mailed to every postal customer in a particular city).

Also, check with Audubon Portland. I'm sure they have groups and outings for bird-watching all over the area. I believe there's a wetlands Nature Preserve right there in Beaverton.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,152 times
Default Thanks all!

I appreciate all the links and information. I'll look into them in the coming week. :-)

More later, very busy day today!

Bridget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland