Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 AM

295 posts, read 1,179,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
Does B.S in Information Technology with a focus in Database Administration count for anything in those parts, or has the layoffs in Micro$oft flooded the market?

Hi there,

Let me see if I can address your question. I work in the staffing industry in Portland. Your question really depends on what kind of database's you are focusing on. Do you know Oracle? Which version? Is it SQL? Access?

If it is Oracle - you might stand a better chance. If it is another version, there are a lot of people who are DBA's here right now who are looking for work. I know that I have a bench full of them and the jobs are scarce.

If you PM me I would be happy to talk with you further and maybe take a look at your resume to see if I can help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:27 PM

11 posts, read 54,366 times
Any suggestions for someone with 5-1/2 years of experience in sell-side equity research covering real estate with Masters in Finance? I am looking to do something with the masters degree, like switching to consulting (not as a financial advisor, though) or even more accounting-related work. I currently have a job, but am located in Chicago, where there seem to be a few more related openings than in PDX. I grew up in Oregon and all of my family lives in Portland, Eugene or Coos Bay, and I need to relocate back home as soon as possible.
Any helpful suggestions out there?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:42 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I get messages from Aerotek Staffing agencies (Staffing Agency - Staffing Services from Aerotek) and US bank for similar skills in that area, but I wouldn't put your hopes up to getting anything in another state in the next 6 months. There are more accounting type positions then really finance level, but there are a few corporate positions as analysts (especially in health care). Family always comes first, but don't leave a paying position for nothing if they aren't moving quickly, or at all, unless it's really of utmost importance.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:43 PM

44 posts, read 229,314 times
Just as an example: my husband was laid off in October and hasn't had a single interview until today, despite applying to many jobs that he is very qualified to do. The interviewers said that in the 2 days that they had the job posted on Craigslist, 300 people applied. They only interviewed 10 people. We'll see where is goes...

So there are jobs out there, sure, it's just that there is a lot of competition for them. Oh yeah, and this job my husband applied to -- it pays $10/hr. and he has 10 years of experience in the field.

Portland rocks and sucks both at the same time.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
So there are jobs out there, sure, it's just that there is a lot of competition for them. Oh yeah, and this job my husband applied to -- it pays $10/hr. and he has 10 years of experience in the field.
I remember back in 2001 looking for a job in my field of 30 years. I had been earning about $18 an hour from a company whose home office was in California but all I was being offered was $10.00-$12.00 an hour from companies whose home base was Portland. They wanted my experience but didn't want to pay me for it. I think that is rather common here.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:54 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I remember back in 2001 looking for a job in my field of 30 years. I had been earning about $18 an hour from a company whose home office was in California but all I was being offered was $10.00-$12.00 an hour from companies whose home base was Portland. They wanted my experience but didn't want to pay me for it. I think that is rather common here.
Wages are always higher in the larger cities in California - the spouse worked for a large Fortune 50 engineering firm and they tried several times to transfer him out of the Portland area to either San Jose or San Diego, offering a substantial raise and a "housing bonus" if he'd take it. Likewise, some transferees in to Portland from those places got pay cuts when they moved.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:00 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
No one ever wants to pay a good wage unless they have to, I've been around department heads who are trying to get away with paying Ph.D.'s under 30k. When I heard some one complaining there were no takers for that job I swear I about smacked him...but I contented myself with just a dumb look.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,636 times
I have to agree with subsound that Portland's job market is tight (8.1%). I moved there five years ago on a whim with a college degree and several years real-life work experience, and it still took eight months to find a decent job (a great gig at an awesome law firm). I eventually ended-up at a non-profit and that job was eliminated due to a budget shortfall in January... 2008. Except for a holiday gig at Macy's, I've been unemployed for over a year. Given those circumstances, I have recently completed a temporary move to eastern Ohio and am looking for work in Pittsburgh (6.3%) while I stay with family.

I recently learned from a friend still working at my old firm that, when they recently placed an ad for part-time reception/secretarial help, they received over 500 resumes! Including those from attorneys and senior paralegals!

If you truly have your heart set on the Rose City, remember that you're not the only person who wants to move to Portland. It is a very popular city and deservedly so. But, unfortunately, their job market has always had a lot of trouble keeping up with that popularity... good times and bad.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 PM

9 posts, read 37,687 times
In addition to nursing, a CDL is not a bad thing to shop around as there is always demand for that, even in a depleted economy.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:30 AM

121 posts, read 374,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyboots4 View Post
In addition to nursing, a CDL is not a bad thing to shop around as there is always demand for that, even in a depleted economy.
wow!!
this is the first time I've ever seen anyone mention "CDL" on this site. and your exactly right. Driving truck will always be in demand, and in any economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland