Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 PM
emh emh started this thread

298 posts, read 851,678 times

Advertisements

Can someone recommend a market that carries Asian food, particularly Thai ingredients?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 05:05 AM

38 posts, read 111,687 times
Definitely check out Uwajimaya. It is mostly a Japanese market, but it has a section for Thai foods & sections for other Asian foods as well. I have always enjoyed shopping there. Uwajimaya

Fubonn Supermarket also has many Thai foods in the store. (I LOVE that store.) It is more of a general Asian market - and HUGE. Fubonn Shopping Center -- The Largest Asian Shopping Center in Oregon

Old 02-05-2009, 11:17 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
There is an Asian food market a little down the street from the corner of 30th and Hawthorne (going East) but I don't know what type of Asian food they specialize in.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the info.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:40 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
There's also a small Thai market on Broadway in Beaverton, and a place whose name is "Viet-Thai Market" on TV Highway in Aloha.

There's a large Asian market at Allen & Lombard in Beaverton, but I think it's mostly Chinese. It's big enough that they might have other cuisines also. And near the Rose Garden arena in Portland is Anzen, which, like Uwajimaya, is Japanese-owned but eclectic in its products.

There are a lot of Thai restaurants in this area; you could ask the servers where they shop.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:15 PM

7 posts, read 30,907 times
My favorite is Lily Market, and they specialize in Thai, on about 112th and Halsey, they have a really great deli with Pad Thai, salad rolls, all kinds of stuff! Their pad thai is just about the best I've had and gives you 2 meals for about $4.50. It's large and has produce and just about anything you could want.

If that's too far, there's one on 50th and Powell, in the Fu Bon mall on 82nd between division and powell. But Lily Market is the best

Old 02-06-2009, 04:06 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
I don't know about in all neighborhoods, but in mine plain-old grocery stores carry a fair selection of Asian or Thai ingredients.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:03 PM

147 posts, read 578,114 times
plain old grocery stores usually have sub par ingredients. For example - coconut milk will make or break curry. Yes, Fubon and Uwajimaya have crappy coconut milks too, but they also have the good stuffs - Chaokoh and Mae ploy.
And remember friends don't let friend buy low fat/light coconut milk.
Oh yeah, if you don't know how to cook thai food, that will break the curry too.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo4 View Post
plain old grocery stores usually have sub par ingredients. For example - coconut milk will make or break curry. Yes, Fubon and Uwajimaya have crappy coconut milks too, but they also have the good stuffs - Chaokoh and Mae ploy.
Oh yeah, if you don't know how to cook thai food, that will break the curry too.
I took a Thai cooking course in Chiang Mai several months ago. This will be my first time trying to cook Thai on my own. Hopefully everything will turn okay.

Thanks again for all the input!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:19 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo4 View Post
Mae Ploy is what I buy at my plain, old grocery store. I'm sure it depends on the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland