Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:44 AM

12 posts, read 19,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Culture - yes. Portland is full of creative people doing creative things.

Diversity - not so much. Portland is the whitest big city in the US.
If you believe Portland has no diversity, you haven't lived in such places as Iowa. Some people living in small towns here have never seen an African American. In Portland, I've noticed far more diversity (LGBTs, Latinos, Asians, etc.) than I see in Iowa. It's all a matter of perspective. Portland has the spirit of diversity palpable in the air, even if it isn't visible to those whose eyes have grown too habituated to their environment. Perhaps you don't know what you have right under your nose.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Exile View Post
If you believe Portland has no diversity, you haven't lived in such places as Iowa. Some people living in small towns here have never seen an African American. In Portland, I've noticed far more diversity (LGBTs, Latinos, Asians, etc.) than I see in Iowa. It's all a matter of perspective. Portland has the spirit of diversity palpable in the air, even if it isn't visible to those whose eyes have grown too habituated to their environment. Perhaps you don't know what you have right under your nose.
I certainly wouldn't argue with that but the OP was asking about Portland not small towns in Iowa. That would be like me saying in Chicago where I come from there is way more diversity than Portland. It's all relative really.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:16 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Certainly Portland is more diverse than a small town in Iowa. But there aren't any cities in Iowa that are close to the size of Portland. Metro Des Moines is less than one-third the size of Metro Portland (see Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

The poster I responded to is from Arizona. I assumed Phoenix, although I just re-read the post and he doesn't actually say that. But that was in my mind. Portland has less ethnic/racial diversity than Phoenix and other big cities, but any big city will have more diversity than most small towns. That's one of the reasons I like living in a big city.

Is that clearer, Exile?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
But one can't generalize about Californians. We're not all vacuous capitalists who want to take over Oregon and turn it into California.
I hope I didn't sound too harsh in my previous comment about Oregonians' attitudes about outsiders moving to Oregon. Sheesh, if I were Oregonian, I'd discourage people from moving there too, if they were intent on turning Oregon into the mess that has become of California. I'd hate to see Oregon change too much. What I love about Oregon is that it isn't California, where I grew up. I'm all for no growth restrictions, environmental protections, the friendly but reserved nature of the people, the open spaces and trees, trees, trees, green and lush all year round.

I suppose it's for the best that Oregon is so gray and rainy and lacking in sunshine. It keeps people out. If not, it is an absolute certainty Oregon would already be long since ruined. I remember California when I was a kid. The open spaces have all but vanished in Southern Cal. Its nothing but a morass of freeways, asphalt, construction, and the moneyed interests and their status toys and trophy wives and their ridiculous Rolls Royces cruising down Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles.

Gawd, no, I don't want Oregon to become all that.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Certainly Portland is more diverse than a small town in Iowa. But there aren't any cities in Iowa that are close to the size of Portland. Metro Des Moines is less than one-third the size of Metro Portland (see Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

The poster I responded to is from Arizona. I assumed Phoenix, although I just re-read the post and he doesn't actually say that. But that was in my mind. Portland has less ethnic/racial diversity than Phoenix and other big cities, but any big city will have more diversity than most small towns. That's one of the reasons I like living in a big city.

Is that clearer, Exile?
No need to make things "clearer," I understood what you meant. I've been to Portland many times. I think the reference to Portland's "diversity" in the comment made by the Arizonan reflects the perception that Portland has a willingness to allow various ethnic influences take root. It has a Chinese district, Japanese gardens, high quality ethnic restaurants, and it does have members of various ethnic groups fairly visible in the community, from what I've seen.

And Portland is progressive. Progressives generally embrace diversity. The voting record is 75% Democratic. People sense an openness. Perhaps it would have been more accurate to have described Portland as "tolerant of diversity," instead. Would that satisfy you?

I've lived long term in such varied locales as Arizona, New Mexico, Old Mexico, Iowa, Puerto Rico, California, Nebraska, and a few other places. I've seen plenty of "diversity" in my life. But not all of these areas are highly tolerant of LGBTs, non-Christians, or all racial and ethnic groups, even if there is some apparent "diversity." Actually, Arizona is mostly white and Hispanic, and predominantly Christian, and I wouldn't walk around in dark alleys or try to get a job if you're flamboyantly gay, but I could be wrong about that.

Anyway, what's the point of discussing this? Are you asserting that Portlanders are intolerant of diverse cultures and ethnic groups? That Portlanders would not tolerate non-whites, is homophobic, and would run non-Christians out of town on a rail?

Okay, you've talked me out of going there (kidding...).

Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Assuming people are racists or intolerant because of the color of their skin, and not the attitudes they choose, seems a bit odd. It's a loose loose situation that if one lives in an area that is primarily one color that they be considered intolerant.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Assuming people are racists or intolerant because of the color of their skin, and not the attitudes they choose, seems a bit odd. It's a loose loose situation that if one lives in an area that is primarily one color that they be considered intolerant.
Indeed. In case you hadn't noticed, I was being ironic. Or maybe you weren't directing that comment to me. Hard to tell with the way this forum is set up.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:42 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Indeed. In case you hadn't noticed, I was being ironic. Or maybe you weren't directing that comment to me. Hard to tell with the way this forum is set up.
Not at you, I agree with you. It seems to be a common thought that areas that are mostly white are racist...or assuming people who are white are racists. Heck, I've had people come up to me because I am white and call me a racist (or sexist because I'm male)...I had not even said a word, I was just walking the dog or walking down the street to pick up lunch. It seems a bit odd to think some one hates other skin colors because of their own skin color.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 PM

11 posts, read 19,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Heck, I've had people come up to me because I am white and call me a racist (or sexist because I'm male)...I had not even said a word, I was just walking the dog or walking down the street to pick up lunch.
This seems wild and crazy. Were you wearing an "I hate black women" t-shirt?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitybound View Post
This seems wild and crazy. Were you wearing an "I hate black women" t-shirt?
Well if you work downtown they may accuse you of being a spy. I had one homeless guy do that to my friend and me. We didn't think the spy guy was talking to us until he jumped right in front of us (we had heard him talking behind us) and pointed his finger at us yelling "Spies! I know who you are!" Then indistinct mumbling and stumbling off to harass the next targets.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland