Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times

Advertisements

First, please understand that I have spent hours and hours on this board reading tons of fantastic information. But since you all seem so accomodating, I find it necessary to ask for your feedback.

I have job offers in Federal Way and Beaverton, OR. Assuming that the jobs are identical, could y'all help me out in my decision process?

I'm 41, happen to be a single straight male, and am moving from Dallas and Austin, TX. My favorite days are overcast, I'm totally ok with that part. But I want to live, and therefore work, in a spot that really immerses me in the beauty of the region, while still accessing traditional "city" elements.

I might not get all these but I want: view of mountain(s) from my new home, access/view of water, be it lake or ocean, and more snow than not. I will have to be, I suppose, within a half hour of Beaverton or Federal Way, and am coming up to vet out the companies in a couple weeks. My goal is to decompress thoroughly. I want to become outdoorsy. I will be renting a SFR with a yard.

Again, I've tried to avoid cluttering the board with another "should I move there?" post. I KNOW I'm on the way, I just need your advice regarding the optimal spot.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Although I like Beaverton, I feel that the Seattle/Tacoma suburbs (especially Federal Way) are generally much more attractive and easier on the eye than many Oregon suburbs like Hillsboro/Beaverton. From your considerations, mountains and water are more accesible in the Sound than in Portland. The whole region in the Tacoma area has great views of Rainier, whereas all you'll really see in Beaverton are the West Hills, maybe. Of course in Sea/Tac you have the Puget Sound literally right there against the cities, but there are also several rivers in the Portland area. Neither really ever gets any snow to speak of, with exception to this crazy winter that was severe for most of North America.

Really, it's hard to go wrong either way. Both incredibly beautiful regions, both close to great cities, close to recreational opportunities. But I have to say I believe Federal Way has the edge as it is a bit more scenic with views of the Cascades and the Puget Sound. Portland area might be a little easier to meet people and make friends because of the supposed Seattle freeze. Pretty much a toss up.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times
If I were to live, say, a half-hour away from FedWay or Beaverton, where might be optimal places? I might seem contradictory when I mention that access to some semblance of nightlife, in the shadow of a mountain, giant trees, while also on the shore of a giant body of water, where it snows more than less, is kind of what I'm looking for. Pipe dream?

Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,675 times
I can only speak to Beaverton. You can get some pretty decent views of Mt. Hood from the Beaverton/west side area, when the sun is out. But really nothing in the way of seeing water. 1/2 hour away from Beaverton would put you in Portland, or south suburbs, or (to the west) Forest Grove. Within that radius and based on your criteria, you might as well stick with Beaverton itself.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:20 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
You'll have views of mountains wherever you are. Whether that mountain is Mt. Hood is dependent on how much you want to pay for housing.

Frankly, neither Federal Way nor Beaverton would be my first choice of where to live in either place if you're looking for a "natural" feeling neighborhood. In Portland, you might look at Johns Landing. Small neighborhood, but seems to have rentals that aren't outrageously expensive.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:01 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
If I were to live, say, a half-hour away from FedWay or Beaverton, where might be optimal places? I might seem contradictory when I mention that access to some semblance of nightlife, in the shadow of a mountain, giant trees, while also on the shore of a giant body of water, where it snows more than less, is kind of what I'm looking for. Pipe dream?
The whole Tacoma/Federal Way area is in the shadow of a mountain, large (maybe not giant) trees, and on the shore of Puget Sound.

Having snow near a giant body of water is antithetical, so that is somewhat a pipe dream. It just doesn't really snow here that much except on TOP of the looming mountains. The folks in the Washington and Seattle forums could direct you on optimal places in that region and advise you on the nightlife situation.

I'm thinking that might be a better bet for you.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM

493 posts, read 664,906 times
I've got a friend who relocated and bought a house in Fife, which is a bit south of Federal Way on I-5 but not at all far. Also I lived in Kent/Renton area for almost a decade...I personally don't care at all for the South Sound region of Seattle and would not hesitate to choose the Beaverton/PDX area over again. (Which is where I live now.)

Best idea is to come visit both areas since YMMV of course

Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
You also need to do some math. OR has a 9% income tax with a very low starting threshold but no sales tax. WA has no income tax but has a sales tax of about 9-10%. (grocery store food might be exempt)

If you have a high income and live frugal then go to WA. If you have a low income but spend money like a drunken sailer then OR is better from a tax standpoint.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
Beaverton traffic is the pits. Not sure about Federal Way but I think they won an award a few years back for best traffic signal synchronization.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:51 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Both cities are trying to become more urban centers, as opposed to auto-centric suburbs. Results in both are mixed. I've seen some plans for mid-rise residential for Federal Way, not sure about Beaverton. Both suburbs are somewhat old, as suburbs go, with many homes built in the 1950's & 60's, but Fed Way might be a little newer overall. I would say it is easier to get to downtown Portland from Beaverton than it is to downtown Seattle from Fed Way.
As for scenery, both have nice vistas, but there are certain parts of Fed Way with BOTH Sound and mountain views. But you'll pay for those views!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland