U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 05:31 PM

635 posts, read 1,656,351 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I was curious what is fun in Portland? What are the coolest things to do there? I will only be spending three days there, so I was curious what are the best places for tourists to go during that time span.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 09:26 PM

5,273 posts, read 13,509,795 times
That question can be answered any of 1,392,816 ways depending on what you feel is fun.

Do you enjoy zoos or strip clubs or motor touring or downtowns or museums or restaurants or parks or hiking or Vespers or shopping.....

Now, for me, and if I'm staying in the 'big city', I'd go to the

World Forestry Center World Forestry Center

OMSI Home

Oregon Historical Society Oregon Historical Society

Take a drive up the Columbia National Scenic Area and make a few stops Columbia River Gorge NSA - Welcome!

Drive to Cannon Beach Cannon Beach Chamber and Information Center (503) 436-2623

Walk down NW 23rd Ave and have a bite to eat at Santa Fe Mexican Restaurant Nob Hill & NW 21st and 23rd Avenue Neighborhood Guide

And things like that Portland Visitors & Tourist Information - Travel Portland

Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 PM

77 posts, read 234,483 times
If you are into spring blooms, I'd go to the Japanese Gardens and would also drive out to Hood River and drive the 'Fruit Loop' route. It will be gorgeous around that time.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 11,215,073 times
Yeah, a lot depends on what you like to do. How old you are. And also, where you're coming from. Tell us some of that, and I'm sure we'll give you lots of recommendations.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 AM

321 posts, read 1,066,296 times
The top things to do in Portland ... are: Visit the Japanese Gardens and/or Chinese Gardens. They are very different from each other, but both are exquisite and world-class. Visit Powell's Books - the largest indie bookstore in the US, I believe. Visit Multnomah Falls and the viewpoint a little further down the road (it's called Vista Point or something like that) - these are outside of town - about 30-40 minutes, and you'll drive along the Columbia River (called the Gorge) as well. If you're coming on a weekend, you could see Saturday market (which also runs on Sundays) - it's an open air market. In April you might also be able to check out the Rose Gardens in Washington Park - they are just across from the Japanese Gardens, so you could do both of those in the same trip.

You might also want to take a 40 minute drive up to Timberline Lodge, where parts of the Shining were filmed. Mt. Hood is beautiful all year round. You can have an expensive lunch there (but the food is good).

If you're here on a Wednesday, visit the Farmer's Market in downtown Portland (over by Portland State University). Yummy stuff. There are other farmer's markets, but you'll have to look up what days they're held on. You can also do a tunnels tour ... I think night time tours are great. There's a lot of history of Portland involving the tunnels and the old maritime days.

Hmm ... what else? Take a walk along the Willamette River - from the Waterfront Park across the Steel Bridge over to the Eastbank Esplanade.

Fun neighborhoods to check out: Hawthorne/Belmont blocks. Mississippi. Alberta. The Pearl (over by Powell's Books). If you like Basketball, you could maybe check out a Blazer's game (I don't know when the season ends). If you like soccer, you could maybe catch a Timbers home game.

There's lots of stuff to do - Portland is fun! If you're into the outdoors, definitely go hiking. You could stay in city and check out Forest Park, or you could hit one of the gazillion hiking trails - just take a peep online or in a trail book at Powell's. There is also trail at Multnomah Falls. Another favorite place to visit of mine is The Grotto - it's not far from the airport. It's a Catholic place and you can pay a small amount (a few bucks maybe) to take the elevator up to the park-like gardens and see the mother's chapel and the tiny little red chapel, and some gorgeous wooden depictions of the stations of the cross. I'm an atheist, but I still love that place.

Have fun!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:54 AM

21,697 posts, read 25,941,098 times
If you are from the chilly Midwest or East, follow the suggestions regarding flowers. Everytime my relatives come visit me from Illinois in the springtime they really brighten up to see the beautiful flowers Portland has this early in the year. It's early to them and not to us so it's always a really pleasant surprise.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,404 times
An absolute must to get a feel for Portland in my opinion is to go to Portlands Saturday market Home. Lots of unique things to shop for an more simply a great place to ppl watch an enjoy some portlanders keeping oregon wierd

Old 04-11-2009, 11:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,493 posts, read 47,550,958 times
don't miss the Rhodie garden, (SE PDX / Reed College) this is prime season
Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden

The Gorge is specular at the moment (Especially out east, where it is a rare shade of many greens)
GORP - Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area - Oregon
The Dalles City Guide and Getaways
Maryhill Museum of Art

I suggest eastbound on WA side (SR14) (for great pics Be sure to stop at Cape Horn, and the rest area at MP 61)Washington State Highway 14 from Vancouver to US-97 near Goldendale.
cross Columbia river at Biggs Jct, the westbound on I-84 . If you have time... You can go westbound on frontage road at Biggs Jct to Deschutes River Park, and on to Celilo to rejoin 84. Nice places westbound are "The Dalles" an ag town with interesting historical buildings. (Take the old highway to Mosier if you have time), tiny town with nice flowering orchards at the moment, and Rowena is very nice at the moment.

Hood River (trendy but nice, will be having a blossom Fest end of month).

I-84 west till you can get on the Historic Scenic Highway (Near Bonneville Dam). Bonneville Dan has nice gardens, visitor's center and fish hatchery (with 7' sturgeons).

Just west, after Crown Point, be sure to stop at Portland Woman's Overlook, for a nice eastfacing photo with late afternoon sun (You can hope, sun...) (From where the pic on the above gorp site above was taken,,, During the spring!)

Old 04-11-2009, 06:27 PM

6 posts, read 11,015 times
brew pubs!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland