Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:19 AM

88 posts, read 375,817 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
How viable is it to live in Portland without a car? Is it possible to own a single-family home (a very small yard is fine) and have walkable access to shopping areas and public transit around the city? What are some of the more walkable/transit-friendly parts of the city?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 AM

12 posts, read 62,382 times
Default Very possible!

Portland is a very walkable, bike-friendly town...and with a little research, you can find many great options for non-car living.

And, just FYI, should you need a car for the day, you can sign up for what is known as Flexcar where you can borrow a car for the day whenever you need it.

Portland has many neighborhoods throughout the area and each neighborhood, as far as I've gathered, has everything one would need: grocery, post office, schools, various businesses and services. There are like small towns within the city.

I live in east Portland and can literally walk to everything, including: post office, schools, grocery, coffee, copy shops, hair stylist, vet, dog groomer, auto mechanic, movie theater, community center etc, etc, etc...and I'm not even right in the city!!

This is what makes portland so great. As long as you don't mind walking in the rain, you'll love it.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:32 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
If you can manage to arrange your life so that you can use MAX and the Streetcar you won't even MISS a car.

On the other hand, a lot of what Portland has going for it is what is around Portland - the Gorge, the mountains, the ocean - so having a car or access to a car would be good. There was an article in The Oregonian this weekend that claimed that Portland has the highest percentage of hybrid car ownership in the US - buy a Prius and you'd fit right in.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:37 PM

88 posts, read 375,817 times
I do own a Toyota I'm still making payments on, so I can drive out of town when I want to get out to nature. :-) My wife and I would rather live with one car that we rarely need to drive, just as a lifestyle choice. Plus, you can buy a much nicer home when you aren't making two car payments and all the auto-insurance, gas, and maintenance expenses that go with them!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:42 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
I just had to walk home from Mt Hood Hospital today, a total of 4 miles, believe me its walkable, but I think its time for me to get packing, you can take my place here though.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:23 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I just had to walk home from Mt Hood Hospital today, a total of 4 miles, believe me its walkable, but I think its time for me to get packing, you can take my place here though.
Why are you ready to leave Portland?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:50 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElphinKnight View Post
I do own a Toyota I'm still making payments on, so I can drive out of town when I want to get out to nature. :-) My wife and I would rather live with one car that we rarely need to drive, just as a lifestyle choice. Plus, you can buy a much nicer home when you aren't making two car payments and all the auto-insurance, gas, and maintenance expenses that go with them!
It's totally doable. Our family is a one car family in an area without the fantastic public transit of Portland. If we can do it here, anyone should be able to do it in Portland.

BTW, Phoenix has REALLY crappy public transportation. As in, almost non-existent. Yikes.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:02 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
On the other hand, a lot of what Portland has going for it is what is around Portland - the Gorge, the mountains, the ocean - so having a car or access to a car would be good.
You can EASILY live in Portland without a car. Check out Sellwood / Westmoreland, Woodstock, Brooklyn, Hawthrone, Belmont, Clinton St. Area, Lads Addition, Laurelhurst, Park Rose, Irvington, Alameda, Nob Hill, Pearl, Lair Hill pretty much anything close to downtown.

And as for the couple of times a year or month or whatever that you need a car, check out www.flexcar.com (broken link). Many of these neighborhoods has a flex car parked on a city street for it's members to use. There is one 2 blocks from my house. It's an awesome programe too.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:32 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
It is true Portland has good public transport, but is not a pleasant experience. I would not use it as I feel is too dangerous for a female alone, especially the ride to downtown. The homeless are allowed to wander around at will, and can cause trouble. On the other hand, trying to get downtown and around town is miserable in a car, especially if you are not familiar with all the one way streets. So you are caught either way, not a good situation.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:21 AM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
Yes they are right during rush hour the transit especially the train has alot of working people on their way to work, The rest of the day, you see way too much, and it can scare a person to the point they do not want to ride it. What bothers me most on it,is paying full fare, and knowing so many ride free day after day, while trimet raises the fares more and more frequently. I also will vouch for the fact, you can get to most of the metro area by transit. You cannot do that in the rest of the country at least in cities of equal size, even some that are alot bigger than portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: