Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 04:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,865 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Portland from Anchorage, AK on the 21st (just paid for the plane tickets today, so exciting!), but we didn't get around to calling for apartments and setting up dates to look at a few. I know I should have done this quite a while back, but we've been so busy with everything else. I was wondering how long it may take for us to find an apartment once there. We are a young couple (25 and 21) with a 2 year old boy. My fiancee will have a job waiting and this will be our second apartment. No credit history whatsoever (unsure of whether that matters). Looking for a 2br 1 bath unfurnished for $650 or less a month. I'm planning on calling around to set dates tomorrow. Do you think it would be possible to find one within a few days? (2-5 days). We won't have much to spend on hotels, so finding one soon is important. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 06:26 AM

27 posts, read 227,462 times
use portland's craigslist and see what you can see. there are some deals to be had, but I haven't seen many 2br places for less than $700.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:22 AM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times
If you find a 2br apt for $700 you had better really look over the neighborhood where it is at. You might want to look in Vancouver, to get your rent down a little, but Im not sure even there $700 would get u much 2bd.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,865 times
Thanks so much anodyne!!! I know it's been a long long time since I posted the original post, but I did take your advice and looked on craigslist. I found an apartment in Tigard for $650 a month & it was nice living there when for the time that we did I now live in Beaverton and couldn't be happier! & thank you also, oregonrain! I tried Vancouver, but it was a little too far and the few places I looked at weren't as nice as the Tigard one that we found previously. I'm sure that there are nice places in Vancouver; I probably just didn't look enough into it since I was satisfied with the Tigard apartment. Thanks again for your guys help!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:15 AM

34 posts, read 63,439 times
Xyanne,

I am in a similar boat as you... Were you able to find the apartment quickly? Since I have yet to go to Beaverton, I am unsure as to where to start looking. Going to get an apartment for about 6 months before I take the plunge and move the rest of the family up there.

Any recommendation you can provide would be great on how you did your search and what (area) to avoid...?

Old 07-15-2009, 12:04 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I assume your employer is in the Beaverton, Hillsboro area. That is where you should look.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,014 times
say this is my first time so please don't laugh to hard at me . I have meet this great person and I would like to keep her and her family in my life. do ass living places allow couples that are engaged to share a places and does medicare have a problem with that.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Landlords are concerned about getting paid and not having their property abused. Rarely are they involved in marital status.

Perhaps you are confusing Medicare with Medicaid or SSI. The former does not look at household income, the latter may. You need to research that more.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:04 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonandharris View Post
say this is my first time so please don't laugh to hard at me . I have meet this great person and I would like to keep her and her family in my life. do ass living places allow couples that are engaged to share a places and does medicare have a problem with that.
If you bring income into the residence, then it will affect any benefits that are income based. Other than that, you are going to have to ask the management of the building what the policy is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland