Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 AM

53 posts, read 135,824 times

Advertisements

OK. I've posted this one too on the Connecticut forum, but the reason behind the urgent tone of my post is because we have to get out of our house by the end of the month!

So the countdown has begun for us and we REALLY need to decide: is it Oregon or is it Connecticut for us?

(NOTE: I don't mean to offend anyone with my perception on both places.)

So. It all boils down to this:

For us:

Oregon

Pros: Portland, its walkability, the fact that my husband loves it, it's on the West Coast, its diversity (we are a racially diverse family ourselves), its natural beauty, and of course, affordability.
Cons: Heard that public schools are not that great, the nearest big city is 2 hours away, AND, husband would have to work Saturdays and Sundays (he's in car sales)

Connecticut:
Pros: its proximity to two big cities (either NY or Boston depending on where you live), its natural beauty, GREAT public schools, AND the fact that hubby would have Sundays OFF (we have a 5 year old boy)

Cons: Cost of living, lack of diversity (comparatively to other parts of the country), pervasive suburban feel, and, from what I've read and been told, materialism and a little bit of a snobby attitude.

I don't know. My husband grew up in the Bay Area so he loves colder climates. He really likes Portland but we'd love for our son to have his family together on Sundays. I'm Asian, and so I need to feel some diversity around me. But all in all I can adjust almost anywhere as long as I'm not the only secular, liberal, "person of color" around...!

What would you do?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 11:17 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Your husband probably won't have to work on Sundays because many of the car dealerships are now closed on Sundays in lieu of laying off their sales people due to lack of customers.

Portland is the largest city in Oregon. Were you refering to Seattle?

Determine in which place you can find a job before you move and that will help you to decide.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Thanks so much for your reply! I knew some dealerships were closed on Sundays but I understood it was just a temporary measure due to the economy... is that true?

The thing that worries me right now is not only the "Sunday factor" but the fact that, high unemployment rates have a direct and immediate effect on the two biggest purchase items: houses and cars. So... I'm afraid that we wouldn't be able to pay our bills if there were no sales.

And yes, I was referring to Seattle... I know Portland is a great city, but I also like to have the option of having other metro areas around... just as an option, not that I'd be going there every weekend.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal_habitat View Post
Thanks so much for your reply! I knew some dealerships were closed on Sundays but I understood it was just a temporary measure due to the economy... is that true?

The thing that worries me right now is not only the "Sunday factor" but the fact that, high unemployment rates have a direct and immediate effect on the two biggest purchase items: houses and cars. So... I'm afraid that we wouldn't be able to pay our bills if there were no sales.

And yes, I was referring to Seattle... I know Portland is a great city, but I also like to have the option of having other metro areas around... just as an option, not that I'd be going there every weekend.
Seattle is a fun place. Even though it takes longer, taking the train up there is a beautiful way to go. I love to visit there. The car dealership thing should be temporary but who knows for how long. It will probably depend upon how soon the economy picks up.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 AM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Read the other posts. Don't move here and expect family wage job(s). (or any job for that matter).

If you come here then be prepared to be self sufficient for 1-2 years.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:46 AM

Hmmm. Yes, I've read this forum extensively lately and I must say, it's not really encouraging.

Thanks for your honest opinion. That's exactly what we need right now, to make an informed decision.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal_habitat View Post
Hmmm. Yes, I've read this forum extensively lately and I must say, it's not really encouraging.

Thanks for your honest opinion. That's exactly what we need right now, to make an informed decision.
You are wise to consider all risks and possiblities.

As everyone will probably tell you I am one of those "negative Nellies" whose mantra is "don't move without a job." But I think people really need to know all sides. I know if I wanted to move elsewhere and I do, I would want to know the bad as well as the good but some people feel their dreams are being shattered and don't want to hear anything but the postives.

Right now I have to agree with DaveFR.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:23 PM

Thanks, Minervah. My husband had two job offers when he was in Oregon last month, but again, given that he is in sales, we're worried about the effect of the economy on his actual potential to sell...

But you guys have been really helpful. I truly appreciate your honesty.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 AM

73 posts, read 197,910 times
Default Connecticut

Hi!

I just want to let you know that it is a typical STEREOTYPE that people are snobby in CT.We get such a bum rap! No disrespect to you but I am so sick of hearing that on these posts from people who lives thousands of miles away. I travel alot and know that no matter what region of the country I visit, there are always a group of people who are snobby.

On another note, CT is a beautiful state with so many different things to do whether it is going to the beach, hiking, antiquing, going to NYC or Boston...etc etc. CT is also the most temperate of New England. The schools are excellent and it has a wonderful quality of life.

I wish you all the best on making a decision and that you are happy wherever you decide.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:16 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
No collection of human kind is any different in one place then anywhere else, with culture being the same.

Car sales are so down everywhere it might be a problem pretty much anywhere you go, so having a fall back plan would be highly recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland