Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,418 times

Advertisements

A family I know visited Portland last summer and loved it. They were visiting during the nice time of year (July) and enjoyed touring around in 75 degree sunshine. They liked the lack of humidity and bugs. They loved looking at Mount Hood floating over the City. They loved the Midwestern feel of the City and the beautiful neighborhoods. They loved Portland so much that they moved the family out there in September.

Almost as soon as they moved out to Portland the winter rainy season started. My friends had never looked into the climate and were shocked when it went weeks without seeing the sun. It rained and rained and rained. This winter was one of the worst Portand had ever seen. If it was not raining it was snowing or sleeting. Throw in some ice storms and freezing rain and depression kicked in like crazy. Last month they moved back to Virginia, feeling foolish and naive.

Anyone else move to Oregon without looking into the climate and finding out it is so rainy and cloudy 8 months of the year?

Old 04-05-2007, 11:33 AM

120 posts, read 279,310 times
Default Winters are tough but it gets easier over time

This was my third winter in Portland after moving from San Francisco. I did visit in winter before moving (something I recommend for anyone considering moving here) so I had some idea what I was getting into.

I don't love winter here - it really can be quite gloomy - but I manage to cope, mostly by getting exercise and forcing myself to do things outdoors as much as possible. I have a very energetic dog who needs long walks every day so that helps. If you can afford it, it also helps to get away to someplace sunny during the winter.

It's not for everyone though, that's for sure.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:34 PM
wtg

15 posts, read 76,979 times
Are winters in Portland darker/gloomier/lengthier than in Seattle?

Old 04-05-2007, 12:47 PM

10 posts, read 48,654 times
Default Portland vs. Seattle

Are winters in Portland darker/gloomier/lengthier than in Seattle?

We lived in Bellingham and now just 30 minutes outside Portland. I'd say Seattle is nicer. Portland is colder, icier, stormier.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:01 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
In the long run, Seattle and Portland are similar. Statistically, Seattle gets a little more snow and rain and is overall a little cooler, in both the summer and the winter.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:19 PM

26 posts, read 173,137 times
Portland may have had more snow freezing rain this winter, but I doubt they had a ton of rain. We live down in Eugene and compared to the past 13 years I have lived down here, I thought the rainy season wasn't nearly as bad as other years. Spring has come a lot sooner. There were some more snow days than usual. But not TONS of rain. Just the usual rain fall. I think the first year the rain is kind of a shock, the second year it can be depressing, by the third year you either tolerate it and get used to it or not. I like the humidity and green year round.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 AM

268 posts, read 1,194,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
A family I know visited Portland last summer and loved it. They were visiting during the nice time of year (July) and enjoyed touring around in 75 degree sunshine. They liked the lack of humidity and bugs. They loved looking at Mount Hood floating over the City. They loved the Midwestern feel of the City and the beautiful neighborhoods. They loved Portland so much that they moved the family out there in September.

Almost as soon as they moved out to Portland the winter rainy season started. My friends had never looked into the climate and were shocked when it went weeks without seeing the sun. It rained and rained and rained. This winter was one of the worst Portand had ever seen. If it was not raining it was snowing or sleeting. Throw in some ice storms and freezing rain and depression kicked in like crazy. Last month they moved back to Virginia, feeling foolish and naive.

Anyone else move to Oregon without looking into the climate and finding out it is so rainy and cloudy 8 months of the year?
I'm sorry they didn't do their research. We're relocating from Omaha, Nebraska to Portland this summer and knew about our relocation in September. So nearly every day I compared the weather between the two. Yes, it's incredibly gray/rainy in Oregon but when I did the side by side comparison, there were MANY days where the temps here were FRIGID and out there tolerable. So you need to weigh what's important to you. I'm going to miss the people in the midwest and our school system but not the bitter winters.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:34 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
I'd also say that for some people, researching it and experiencing it are two different things. We work in high tech, where there are a lot of layoffs/ transfers/ job hopping, and we've seen people move into the area thinking they were prepared for the winter weather and then move away again, unable to cope. We've also seen a lot of people move here and fit in just fine and come to love the area.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:08 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,009 times
I think what it comes down to is maybe being prepared and not lying to yourself, people can sometimes convince themselves of things. It's not Alaska or even Canada for that matter here, its rainy, its cold and its hot, not much unlike most areas from what I gather....the biggest factor I am most concerned with for myself is affordablity and earthquakes, not so much the weather.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:49 PM

550 posts, read 3,266,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
I think what it comes down to is maybe being prepared and not lying to yourself, people can sometimes convince themselves of things. It's not Alaska or even Canada for that matter here, its rainy, its cold and its hot, not much unlike most areas from what I gather....the biggest factor I am most concerned with for myself is affordablity and earthquakes, not so much the weather.
I absolutely agree with you. I actually love the weather in the PNW. At least it isn't boring.

Honestly, though...it's all about what you can put up with. Some people love hot and sunny weather. I don't. Living in New Mexico or Arizona would be my specific type of hell.

I love the changeability of the weather in the NW. Some of my fondest memories as a kid were walking home from school in the rain. By the time I ended up at home I was soaked to the skin from the rain and stomping in the water puddles. But if you're not prepared for or accustomed to inclement weather, it could grind on you after a while. Personally, I enjoy an overcast and cold day as much as a sunny and warm one. Just for a different reason. It's the perfect day, to me, to cuddle up with a good book and a cup of tea in front of the fireplace.

It isn't too tough to find affordable living. And the earthquakes are not too common, so long as you're not along an active fault line. (Some areas historically get more earthquakes than others. Might not be a bad idea to check that out with the USGS before you decide where to live if it's a huge concern to you.) I lived for 30 years in the NW and experienced two earthquakes ever. Only one was due to Mt. St. Helens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland