Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:25 PM

170 posts, read 193,971 times

Advertisements

Portlanders dress like the dust bowl folks of the 30s depression era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 02:59 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I think the census about casual and even frumpiness is all accurate. But if you want to dress better, please do not feel that you shouldn't.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:59 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Come on folks.
This isn't the 90's, or the 2000's, or the 2010's.

With so many transplants moving to Portland it's now become an amalgam of styles from folks all over the country interpreting their own version of "Portland Style".

You are looking at what America does when it "dresses down".

Portland is not "unique" anymore.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:33 PM

548 posts, read 816,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
As frumpy as possible. Any shirts with buttons (not counting flannel) and chances are you will be overdressed.
From the NW here, but lived in old-school Northeast cities for years. Every time I visit Oregon, I try to pack casual enough to fit in, and every time I end up feeling too formal. As in a polo shirt, Dockers, and shoes Rockport or Bostonian list under 'casual' is way too dressy for pretty much anything you'd do in Portland.

pdxMIKEpdx is right that the gap has narrowed, though. 20 years ago in Boston if you worked at a bank you'd be in a suit and tie unless you were a custodian, and the nameplates at the bank teller windows only said "Mr. Cabot" or "Ms. Lodge", not "Darlene! "

Old 01-31-2016, 05:48 PM

609 posts, read 808,471 times
Frumpy. Socks and sandals. Wear hiking boots or hiking shoes everywhere you go including out to dinner, to the theater, to a wedding, etc.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:37 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholoveskitty View Post
Haha, is it possible to go nude and not arouse someone?
You've obviously never seen me in the nude. I couldn't budge a hermit ten feet off a rock ledge.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:42 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Come on folks.
This isn't the 90's, or the 2000's, or the 2010's.

With so many transplants moving to Portland it's now become an amalgam of styles from folks all over the country interpreting their own version of "Portland Style".

You are looking at what America does when it "dresses down".

Portland is not "unique" anymore.
Yes. This is so accurate!

Old 01-31-2016, 10:17 PM

311 posts, read 348,437 times
In a cafe today I saw a man wearing a kilt (at least I think it was a kilt otherwise let's just call it a fairly short skirt), some sort of sports jersey, those Vibram Five toe shoes, and a super greasy very long beard. The only thing he was missing was a man bun.

I can't shed my east coast prep but I've gotten a little edgier over the decade I've lived here.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:42 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,277 times
It might be hard to believe for some on here, but among a population of over 600,000 there's actually a wide range of fashion choices and styles. Overall Portland is pretty casual--as is much of the West Coast(where East Coast preppie style has laughed at for decades), but if you went to a tony Pearl District bar or restaurant or trendier bar on the east side, you'd look out of place wearing hiking boots instead of fairly nice clothes, though no one would really care for the most part. If you wear a suit (or even smart casual) to a dive bar or some hippie cafe, you're going to possibly look out of place. Likewise people who aren't working 9-5 jobs, don't have much reason to dress up here.

People at my office dress pretty average, though it's much more casual than what I'd see in Boston. But all the same, if I dressed in raggedy clothes or sweatpants to work, I'd be looked at as nutcase or even sent home. People among certain groups are going to dress better than others as is the case everywhere, so people on my early bus to work tend to be dressed professionally and much better than the people on the bus a couple hours later(who often look a little disheveled).

In general though you'll see Portland dressing a little more "smart" as it sort of becomes a more average city and gets even more concentrated wealth in the city center. The same thing happened in Seattle and Vancouver over the years.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:36 PM

15 posts, read 13,886 times
Dress code is none existent here. They all look like there going to chop some trees down in the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: