Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,293,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondeera View Post
Regardless of what the courts install, it's extremely unlikely depositions will be handled via anything except a live CSR anytime in the foreseeable future. The court system is massive and slow-changing. Even the most advance voice recognition software doesn't do as good a job as a live reporter. In many cases, in courts with voice recorders you just end up with a CD that needs to be transcribed anyhow, or the court directs you to a reporter to have it officially transcribed (I deal with courts in CA, WA, NV, ID, UT, TX, NJ, and elsewhere, as well as many District and Appellate courts). Being a CSR is a great job with a good level of independence. My CSR friends make easily over $100K per year with no signs of slowing.

Not quit accurate. I dated a court reporter a while back. She was working in an auto dealership washing cars and running parts. Her job had been eliminated by a digital (DVD) recording system. That was in Eugene. Portland is doing the same thing and few attorneys use court reporters around here. Most of these schools are "Pay for Diploma" mills. It is a dead end profession. Displaced by technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 PM

254 posts, read 441,656 times
Really? Who takes your depositions then? Elves? Do you enter video as evidence at trial, without transcription? I'm not saying that zero court reporters have lost their jobs, but there are plenty still gainfully employed. Honestly, I bet you'll see a change in the tide eventually. The audio is usually terrible and sometimes downright unintelligible. There will be a huge lawsuit in a criminal case at some point and reporters will return to court rooms.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,293,324 times
I just told you. It is all being done electronically on DVD now. They can go to any part of testimony in an instant. This isn't the tape recorders of the past. The system the government (City, County, State) uses actually electronically transcribe the audio on the fly.

It's all done by the court clerk now.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:18 AM

1 posts, read 623 times
Remember this that court reporting is big thing , It always give us best oppurtunity.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 1,734 times
I disagree. The court reporting industry is alive and booming. It is true that technology is improving, but the need for humans is still there. Some attorneys like video depositions, but it is a lot more expensive. It is cost effective to use a standard court reporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland