Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 AM

402 posts, read 1,019,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
You can say whatever you want whenever you want. It's a free country, so they say. I say it's a problem in Portland and you're basically saying it isn't because you've visited and not seen the problem. I'm just saying us Portlanders would know better as to whether it is or isn't a problem. The way you come across, it's as if you think you know better than the people who live there ("...why even bring it up if it's not a blaring problem?"). I'm not saying that's what's going on with you, but that's the way your posts come across.
Agreed. I think it is hard on the internet to get ones point accross, or just to communicate things in general. On the net, things like tonal inflection and non-verbal gestures are lost . . . for example, I could have this same debate with you with a smile on my face.

Of course, you know way more about the city than I do, and you have a much better perspective on the problems there. My recent posts were directed at the people that seemed to want to focus only on negatives. The point of my thread overall was that I had a really good time there and was so impressed with the city that I wanted to share my experience and give other people some insight from the other side of the coin, from a visitor.

Lol I think (have to go re-read it to be sure) I mentioned 5 great points about Portland, but somehow people took special offense to one point I made about not being exposed to homeless.

I guess I am a little confused about it because for a good portion of my life I lived next to San Francisco, which has the highest per capita percentage of homeless in the country. But, no one around here seems to talk about it or even care (I don't mean "care" in a negative way). Maybe it's a bigger deal in Portland because the long time natives see the increasing homeless as a trashing of their city? I don't know, just my guess.

Not saying you were trying to influence people, but it sure seems like some people on this site try to do just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 01:20 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,114,326 times
Quote:
Because it IS a problem, especially considering the small size of Portland. And dude, you live in Sacramento. Not Seattle. Not Portland. A Seattleite is going to know more about the Seattle freeze than you. And a Portlander is going to know more about the pandhandler/homeless/street kid problem than you. Stop trolling around. Oakland is like one of THE MOST dangerous cities in the country. Everyone has their prejudices and biases, but you seem to have a really skewed perspective there.
Dude. Everyone has a skewed perspective. Even you. We all see things from our own perspective, and colored by our own experience. Anyone, whether they live in Portland or not, can open their eyes and see what's going on around them. And comment on it. You can't say her experience and opinion is any less valid because she doesn't live here. Someone local might know more about the programs in place, the ongoing history, etc. But to say what they see on the street? What makes living locally a higher qualification to give an opinion on that?

And quite frankly, a visitor to any city is much more apt to notice things out of the norm than are people who see it every day. Kind of like showing up to the high school reunion and noticing how everyone else seems to have aged so much.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:25 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,493,838 times
Now that homelessness has been covered, isn't it time to move on to discuss the rain?

Old 05-16-2009, 01:47 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,114,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Now that homelessness has been covered, isn't it time to move on to discuss the rain?
Dang. You say something like that on a GLORIOUS day like today?

Old 05-16-2009, 02:04 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,033,451 times
Casports fan,
Thanks so much for your positive posts!!!! Ive really enjoyed reading them. Personally, I think its terrific that you enjoy our beautiful city as much as you do, and that you see more positive than negative in it.
I lived in Portland for a few years, never got mugged, never got harrassed, never had any real issues, and that was as a female in my early 20s. I wasnt in the greatest areas, was smart enough not to go wandering around underneith the overpasses at 2am, so maybe that was part of it. lol
But anyhow, I wanted to say that I agree with your posts. Its nice to see someone posting about Portland/Oregon thats not all down and doom/gloom/danger lurking on every filthy corner.
Glad you enjoyed your visit. You have plans on staying?

Old 05-16-2009, 06:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
Hey, I agree Portland has some great things going on but that's not to deny there are wrong things like anywhere else. If I could retire here when the time comes I would be happy. But even working I can barely afford this town any longer.

I would be more than content to just keep stepping over the homeless people except if I stay I will go from being one of the steppers to being one of the stepees.

Last edited by Minervah; 05-16-2009 at 07:25 PM..

Old 05-16-2009, 07:20 PM

30 posts, read 259,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR29 View Post
I think there are people in this forum that have a vested interest in getting people to NOT move to Portland.

Well said!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR29 View Post
I think there are people in this forum that have a vested interest in getting people to NOT move to Portland.
Quote:
You can say whatever you want whenever you want. It's a free country, so they say. I say it's a problem in Portland and you're basically saying it isn't because you've visited and not seen the problem. I'm just saying us Portlanders would know better as to whether it is or isn't a problem. The way you come across, it's as if you think you know better than the people who live there ("...why even bring it up if it's not a blaring problem?"). I'm not saying that's what's going on with you, but that's the way your posts come across.

Im sure to Portlander's, the homeless seem to be a problem, but try and live in Phoenix, Arizona or even go to the nice part of Scottsdale and you will see what a real homeless problem is. I have been to Portland and yes, I did see some homeless people, but they were not aggressive or life threatening as they would be in AZ. Not once did I feel scared and I was alone at night.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The homeless or kids begging for money in Portland. TO ME, that has always been the signs of a very safe city. Almost NONE of those kids would survive anywhere else.

The fact that teens can get in trouble...hang around downtown SAFELY and get a little spare change as well is a pretty amazing fact.

Any other U.S. city, and it is more violent crime and significantly tougher characters that would view them as instant prey. Instead, they just kind of hang around the parks with little threat or problem.

This sums it up, well said!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post

Please do! I can talk about it all day. Does it really get you down in your first year of moving there? If so, how do you combat it? I heard taking extra vitamin D will help and a fairly sane mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland