Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
Ah yes "Freedom of Speech, as long as you agree with me", right?

I don't agree with the OPs views, but I do believe in freedom of thought, freedom of speech, and freedom of association.
Thank you for allowing me to express my views. I have mine he has his. Those are mine so there you go.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:05 PM

107 posts, read 278,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Thank you for allowing me to express my views. I have mine he has his. Those are mine so there you go.
Yes your view that people you disagree with should be silenced is duly noted. Its not really the opinion that is a problem, its the call for action on said opinion. "I disagree with you" and "moderators do something" is not the same thing...

I do agree with some of the comments that the OP may not find the Portland area that agreeable to his views, but maybe that doesn't bother him.

Anyway, I don't agree with the OP and don't want to expend more time defending him, so carry on with the pitchforks and torches......

Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
quote=HiggsBoson;8793719]Yes your view that people you disagree with should be silenced is duly noted. Its not really the opinion that is a problem, its the call for action on said opinion. "I disagree with you" and "moderators do something" is not the same thing...

I do agree with some of the comments that the OP may not find the Portland area that agreeable to his views, but maybe that doesn't bother him.

Anyway, I don't agree with the OP and don't want to expend more time defending him, so carry on with the pitchforks and torches......[/quote]

Wow! Exaggerate much? Go back and read my post. Where did I ask the Mods to "do something" about his posts? All I said was I didn't want to see him here; meaning here in Portland following the thought someone else stated which I quoted; that this would not be the place for him.

Then I apologized to the Mods if that was too strong a statement. I did at no time ask them to "do something" about his being on the board which is what I think you are implying. He can spew his prejudicial views (including the one he made about the people of my religion) here all he wants. Far be it from me to stop him.

But I do agree with PNW-Type-Gal that this is not the town for him. And that I will stand by. Got it? So let's move on.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:36 PM

109 posts, read 319,373 times
If this were a forum on equal rights, gay marriage, racism, or any number of other topics Michael's personal opinions on homosexuality and racial diversity would be welcome. This is none of those. His personal prejudices are not adding anything to the conversation other than the mild amusement of seeing what nonsensical rambling he'll post next. I'm not trying to squash a dissenting opinion, I'm saying nobody needs to know your opinion on that topic in this forum. It adds nothing and only serves to be divisive.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
English is not Michael's first language, nor was he raised in American culture. I used to volunteer with the "English as a Second Language" Adult Learning program, and it was very common to meet people from other countries, especially people who were a sort of religious refugee, who shared many of our cultural values (family, education, the value of hard work) but frequently had strong positions on ethnic, religious, gender and racial divisions that caused them no end of trouble in the employment world.

What we frequently worked on was helping people learn where the line was in expressing beliefs, especially in a work or social setting, and what the definition of free speech versus hate speech was. For instance, one of our clients was outraged to learn that he could not quiz potential employees on their religious backgrounds, nor could he turn away potential female employees because he believed they should be at home (with or without children).

Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Lots of room for freedom of speech and expression at the public venue of your choice, but City Data is a private web site with specific rules of conduct.

Members are asked to please use the Report Post feature to deal with any Terms of Service issues they may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland