Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2007, 07:02 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times

Advertisements

I have posted this on the Washington thread as well, I am basically trying to figure out which state would be better, in respects to housing, crime and weather, I know both are often rainy and can get cold, and being a Pgh native, that is certainly not a problem here, but if you could, please give me some feedback, I would appreciate it! THanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,454 times
Default Portland or Seattle?

We've done a lot of research on living in both areas. I'm from the Seattle area and my husband is from the Pittsburgh PA area. We chose Portland because it's more affordable than Seattle and gives us the same options for his job.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:39 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times
Thanks so much for your info Kristine!!! Have you found any safe, clean neighborhoods/towns? We want to rent first as the housing market now seems to be going south, we are scared to buy, esp coming from the east coast and not knowing the area very well here.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 32,474 times
I've recently moved from Seattle to Portland so maybe I can be of help.

I loved what Seattle has to offer, bigger city, national sports teams & stadiums located in the city making it easy to catch games. More senic, water and mountains to the east & west. Bigger employers & high tech companys. Of course the issues are high cost of living & traffic.

Portland is very nice as well, the weather is similar & it has a nice trendy downtown area (Pearl district) along with the normal business district. Housing is much cheaper, about $200K lower for a similar house in Seattle, and traffic is a little better.

Both places have similar northern west coast folks, though the drivers are really laid back in Seattle.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:24 AM

3 posts, read 6,454 times
Default Portland/Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Thanks so much for your info Kristine!!! Have you found any safe, clean neighborhoods/towns? We want to rent first as the housing market now seems to be going south, we are scared to buy, esp coming from the east coast and not knowing the area very well here.
We're leaning toward Multnohmah Village or St. Johns in Portland North. Our first house hunt is scheduled in the next couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: