Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,033 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are in our early twenties and we are looking into moving to the Portland area. We have no idea what area of Portland we are looking for but we are interested in hiking/biking/running activites and would like to live near a park that would provide this. We would like to have a sense of community and be able to meet people easily where we move to. Rent is an issue along with transportation. Do most people have cars in Portland or do they walk or use the train? And we also pay $800 a month for a 2 bedroom/ 1 bath duplex (1800 sq ft) not including utilites. Is that impossible to find in Portland? Any advice would be appreciated with specific neighboorhoods. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 04:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Of course you have jobs to come to and/or a huge pile of money in case they don't work out.

As far as rent goes, it depends where you live. In popular neighborhoods like Hawthorne (SE) or The Alberta Arts district (NE) or really most decent areas you will find mostly one bedroom apartment for $800. If you go further away from the city you can get more for your money.

On the other side of town across the river on the SW side you may be able to find a two bedroom apartment in a large complex for that. There are parks aplenty and in Portland. The neighborhoods differ in their personality. The best thing to do is come and scout out for yourself.

I have lived in Portland for 30 years without a car but living near public transportation and shopping will cost you more. Still you can get a nice one bedroom apartment for $800 if you look hard enough.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
The only place I have ever been to where most people do not have a car is New York City. Portland is no exception and traffic can come to a standstill (seen it many times on my many visits). And I have been all over this country. NYC is rather unique in that regard and has the most developed mass transit system of anywhere. Minervah's post is more to the point - what are the alternatives to driving and the tradeoffs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: