Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:01 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times

Advertisements

It makes sense though what drives what is defined as a hispter. You have drastically changing subcultures that become mainstream as fast as some marketing person finds it to advertise their product in the hip new way. So you have to jump to new ones as each becomes mainstream, quicker then they used to, and since so many have been done it can be easy to find a new one by recycling the old when you have no originality. You have counter cultures before that had the angst to see a problem and start a movement, only to work so hard and do nothing...no reason to care about what you identify yourself with. Plus you have those who are support by their families so they can live in hip surroundings, change thier styles constantly (while still looking poor and authentic), and be part of the scene every night while working jobs so they don't seem to care that could in no way fund it.

It all boils down to the same thing, people doing what they want to feel good and be special in only the way all their friends are trying to be special in...but nothing outside their comfort zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 02:12 AM

2 posts, read 5,080 times
so i just thought id throw my definition in here for fun... first off being a PSU student, a good place to start off for people watching and hipsters in their natural state... go to the PSU campus... or even just hang around the park blocks for a while (that is if you don't mind being pestered by people from green peace or children international) here you will see hipsters walk by who you can almost smell before you even see them. the main things you are looking for about their clothing is A. does it look like hand me down clothing from a second hand store and even for that state, is it unkept? B: is it plaid to the point that it'd make a lumberjack blush... or C: does it just carry what some might consider clever otherwise stupid comment on their shirt? (something ironic or obtuse to the point of being an absurd statement...) an example might be someone having a spoon on their shirt and under it saying "cerial killer" most of the time, it'd be more offensive. another thing you are looking for is what they are carrying on them. for males some might have what is called a small satchel or "man-purse" while wearing a belt over their skin tight pants that would be large enough to be considered a chest plate with some rediculous engraving on it such as a car brand. for females, you for the most part will NEVER see a purse on them. however, the lack of a purse would be replaced by either; a canvas bag with their favorite independant company/organization/band/something they threw together in their printmaking class slapped on the side of it, one of those eco friendly re-usable bags supermarkets are selling, or even sometimes (my personal favorite) a fanny pack. Now with either sex of a hipster (tho sometimes its hard to tell) you will notice that they will never just be walking... rather they will always have something in their hands, talking/texting on the phone or carrying a cup of coffee from their favorite hippie cafe with a cig dangling between the fingers of the same hand. Now as far as facial/hair features, their hair will always be unkept and men will have anything from a five o clock shadow to a full grown beard and with both sexes, will have at least 2-3 piercings. now i could go on and on but here i will stop, there are so many other things i could touch on, but it'd be like describing what makes a geek a geek? we all have some charicteristic of a hipster, its just some are so afraid to have anything in common with the next person, they will go out of their way to stick out.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:03 AM

184 posts, read 447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyp View Post
we all have some charicteristic of a hipster, its just some are so afraid to have anything in common with the next person, they will go out of their way to stick out.
To the point that they all look exactly the same. I hear them diss on cookie cutter mainstream culture, but they are exactly what they claim to hate. Followers with 0 creativity. I'm glad I'm a generation ahead of them, where being different actually consisted of doing something creative and producing something different, art, music, etc. Oh well, I guess it's off to American Apparel.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:36 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
While I've no doubt seen plenty of the people you've all been describing, I'm feeling happy at the moment that I'm oblivious enough of the names y'all apply to people to not have known who'd be declared a "hipster."

They're all just people to me, and I try to take them as they come, without assumptions or labels based on the way they look or dress.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
While I've no doubt seen plenty of the people you've all been describing, I'm feeling happy at the moment that I'm oblivious enough of the names y'all apply to people to not have known who'd be declared a "hipster."

They're all just people to me, and I try to take them as they come, without assumptions or labels based on the way they look or dress.

Oh Puh-leeeeeez.........,

You are SUCH a saint.

Last edited by GooberPeety; 06-15-2009 at 12:16 AM..

Old 06-15-2009, 07:15 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberPeety View Post
Oh Puh-leeeeeez.........,

You are SUCH a saint.
Saint? No. Just experienced. And out of it.

But thanks for registering just to post that.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
The hipster style from the last few years is sort of mainstream at this point--I see teen pop stars and kids at the mall wearing ironic t-shirts, skinny jeans and assymetrical haircuts. I don't know what's hip anymore, young guys in Portland seem to be growing heavy Grizzly Adam beards a lot these days.

But the real truth about the people defined as hipsters in Portland is that many are just kids trying to fit into a certain fashion sense that's cool in their little subcultures. Yeah there's some pretentious transplants who fit the negative stereotypes, and there are some who are still living off their parents or have a trust fund to support their lifestyle. But there's a lot of people who have a certain hip look, who are in actuality fairly intelligent and cool people.

Every subculture has it's own uniform --go to a country, rap, or heavy metal concert and you'll see a whole lot of people dressing alike. Which is the same with hip indie rock fans.

Who's a hipster is really a matter of perspective--many people who others would judge to be "hipsters" based on their outward appearance, are quick to express their dislike of everything "hipster". So all the hipster talk in Portland is kind of funny..

Last edited by Deezus; 06-15-2009 at 08:35 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 427,909 times
Portland doesn't have any hipsters. Just ask any hipster you see!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
Portland doesn't have any hipsters. Just ask any hipster you see!
And Gresham doesn't have any rednecks! Just ask anyone driving a pickup truck and listening to Toby Keith! LOL

Old 06-16-2009, 09:47 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
I just think "subculture" groups themselves are very ironic, especially to express individuality.

I just get a chuckle sometimes when new fashion and philosophy is lifted as some new enlightenment on the human condition, which is somehow better because it's new (or different combination of the old). Then you see the people who most want something to break away from what their parents believe and build their own identities pick it up like a flag. For many it's just a pantomime of believing since they choose to be excluded from one group, they must be part of another to feel belonging. Even then, once you get out of the hard core starters it becomes just another marketed group...like hating the Abercrombie & Fitch crowd so some one dresses in fashions from Hot Topic (Goth), Pacific Sun (Surfer), or Vans (Slacker/Skateboarder).

I just think psychology and motivations are interesting. People can do what makes them happy, everyone's different. Just thinking about it this way makes it funny when you see people mocking each other for "following the heard" when they are with a group dressed and acting the same way as them. It changes each day as fads come and go, I've lived through who knows how many, each doing the same thing in the end of people trying to fit themselves in the world as each thing might be the real change they are looking for to be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland