Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM

33 posts, read 120,763 times

Advertisements

Hipsters? Total tools. Douch bags, the whole lot of them. In the eighties they looked like a flock of seagulls. In the 90's they looked like Seattle grunge. Hipsters are today's young adults who desperately want to be cool. Most of them were probably uncool as kids and are trying to make up for lost time. Hair gel, even applied by the gallon, will never make you cool. The rest of the world laughs at the fine trim of your goatee. Hipsters are a bunch of eye-brow plucking softees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 01:45 PM

33 posts, read 120,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
Portland doesn't have any hipsters. Just ask any hipster you see!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
And Gresham doesn't have any rednecks! Just ask anyone driving a pickup truck and listening to Toby Keith! LOL
Hilarious, guys.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:39 PM

536 posts, read 2,153,663 times
Ugh, don't even get me started. I'm not a fashionista by far... but skinny jeans have got to go.

I remember few years back I heard about Urban Outfitters and was super stoked because I heard they had some hip hop gear. I ended up walking in and finding some headphones, slipmats and such, but once I got into the clothing section I almost puked from all of the hideous over priced vintage looking clothing & the people that shopped there.

Who seriously think's a guy in girls jeans is hot? And are girls, trying to make it look like they have an a$$ wearing jeans that hug their ankles instead? Not to mention wearing a keffiyeh & not even knowing what it's even about.

/rant. ha
peace

Old 06-18-2009, 08:02 PM

252 posts, read 960,356 times
As much as everyone is hating on hipster fashions, I have give them some credit for at least caring about their appearance. Too many Portlanders seem to give little to no thought about their physical appearance when they leave the house.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd.LA View Post
As much as everyone is hating on hipster fashions, I have give them some credit for at least caring about their appearance. Too many Portlanders seem to give little to no thought about their physical appearance when they leave the house.
Just a cultural value I think. Ya know?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
I always thought being a hipster required that you had to look like you just rolled out of bed.

Of course, some people take things a bit too far almost to be purposely ugly...seeing a woman this morning on the bus (nothing struck me as hipsterish, just bad taste) she took the liberty of wearing a bright pastel purple jacket, a safety orange hoodie, make up the color of a blue of a baboon's butt, and her hair looked like she glued roadkill to her head. Now I pretty much have a face for radio, but I don't go out of my way to sear people's eyes and make myself hard to take your eyes off in disbelief.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:24 AM

12 posts, read 53,033 times
I think youse guys are getting to old to know whats cool and what's not.
Try to remember how you felt during your high school and college years about anybody older than your age group?

I bet you are all over 20!
23 is the new 30.

Oh, almost forgot,,,,,,

Get off my lawn!

Oh and as an aside, I have a 35 year old neighbor who I guess is trying to hold on to his youth.
He is the very definition of "Hipster". Classic text book example. You could write a whole wikepedia article about Hipsters with just his picture.
I've met his "hipster" freinds (I go over for a beer sometimes). Mostly 15 to 20 years younger than him.
In my opinion (and we all know what statements like that tend to preface), for the most part they all should have the initials D. and S. with a capital "oosh" in the middle for their names.
But it's all an act for attention.
I think the key to being a hipster is the way you dress, and having an air of "cool obscurity", while looking poor but having money to spend.
I just remind um that in ten years they will be more like me than the cool they are right are now.
Old T-shirts will still be cool, but they won't.
But I'm 62.
What do I know.

Last edited by ColoQuadRacer; 06-19-2009 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Cause I'm old.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 18,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoQuadRacer View Post
the initials D. and S. with a capital "oosh" in the middle for their names.

What do I know.
Douche comes from the French, the CH makes the SH sound.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:39 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Napkin View Post
Douche comes from the French, the CH makes the SH sound.
Watch out. Anyone who knows French might be considered a hipster by the posters on this board! Just kidding.. LOL

And why the word douche can be applied to a lot of hipsters, it also comes to mind for the fake tan crowd and popped-collar crowd from Beaverton who pack downtown dance clubs like Barracuda on the weekend. In fact I'm accustomed to primarily refering to that crowd as douche-bags..

Old 06-23-2009, 01:42 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
At least we don't have "Guidos" here.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland