Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,438 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've read so many great advice comments on here, and yet still not found anything to answer my questions directly, so I decided it was time to venture a comment.

I've got the potential for a job offer in the Beaverton/Aloha area. Now, I know I don't want to live in Aloha, and I've heard mixed things about Beaverton. I don't have enough saved to buy a house yet, so I'll be renting at least for a year or two. I'm moving from Bend, where I'm used to such low crime that it's a bit daunting to me moving to a place bigger and riskier.

Are there any good areas of Beaverton that would be safe for a single woman who's paranoid about crime? I'm looking for something safe, and quiet preferably. I'm not against commuting if it means a better area, I've heard Tigard and Tualatin are nice to live in, but seeing as I've no clue as to what traffic is like (I've heard it's horrid), I'm not sure how practical that is, and should I be searching closer in to Beaverton?

Does anyone have any good recommendations for areas, or even apartment complexes with good reputations that are safe?

Thanks so much for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 08:38 AM

716 posts, read 2,816,745 times
I'd check out the Orenco Station area in Hillsboro. (very easy commute to Aloha/Beaverton and it's pretty nice).

Old 06-09-2009, 12:28 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
The Tanasbourne area around 185th and Cornell is another possibility.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:35 PM

63 posts, read 222,082 times
I would look around the Cedar Hills area of Portland/Beaverton. Nice area close to St. Vincent Hospital, easy access to MAX (light rail) to get into downtown if you choose.

Simply because you want to be convenient to Beaverton, I would recommend you stear clear of Tigard/Tualatin. Not really any convenient way to get from Tualatin to Beaverton and both cities require that you use Hwy 217 which is a very slow moving corridor between I-5 and Hwy 26.

Here are links to crime maps which may give you a better sense as to the safer areas and the types of crime being committed in any given neighborhood.

Beaverton Crime Map Link: Beaverton Police: Crime Maps & Statistics

Portland Crime Map Link: CrimeMapper Detail Report

You may need to use another mapping tool or Google Earth to see where homes/apartments are located and then use the crime maps to get a better idea as to where they are.

My perspective is that Portland and the majority of its suburbs (especially those on the west and south sides) are safe places to be. Common sense should rule over all, but the number of stranger to strager violent crimes is very low. Certainly any city of size (Portland is over 500K) or large metro area (Portland metro in close to 2M) is going to have crime. Don't let it rule your life. Making decisions out of fear is never the way to go IMHO.

Hope this helps and welcome to the City of Roses!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,051,528 times
Beaverton is about the safest and nicest place I can think of in the middle income arena, it's certainly one I would pick (have picked soon) that's near public transit. Aloha a bit farther west gets into some run down areas, I wouldn't suggest it. If you are looking for nice areas I would suggest Murry Hill (though you would probably have to park and ride the Max if you went in town) and Ceder Hills area. Beware of 26 and 5 during rush hour, it can be stroke inducing.

Portland is lower then average in violent crimes (1.5x), but in thefts and property crimes it is higher (3-3.5x). Keep valuables and pricey electronics out of sight, to take the risk people need to see what they gain.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:51 PM

205 posts, read 589,070 times
Hi. I'm not really sure how to phrase this, but I've heard stories about the outskirts of Portland being somewhat racist. I've heard this from more than one person they were of different races ( Caucasian, Filipino and Hispanic).

Any perspective from someone who is a local?

Thanks.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:38 AM

63 posts, read 222,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetta View Post
Hi. I'm not really sure how to phrase this, but I've heard stories about the outskirts of Portland being somewhat racist.
I think you phrased it perfectly is you are asking if Portland or its suburbs are racist.

In all honesty, I find this question a bit hard to answer. I would say that Portland is a very tolerant city but at the same time Portland has an incredibly low minority population. over 75% of Portlandians are white and no other race makes up more than 7% with Hispanic at 6.8% and African American at 6.6%. Pretty easy to be tolerant when everyone looks just like you do.

In addition, Portland is a very segregated city. You could certainly find neighborhoods with a more racially diverse mix but it is less common. Ethnic diversity is more prevalent than racial diversity.

Now when it comes to the suburbs, I think that you will find that some of the suburbs are less tolerant than others but I will not speak to that for fear of getting flamed. Since I was born and raised in Portland (and still live here today), I can speak to what I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland