Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times

Advertisements

Other than saying it was a long way to get anywhere - which is sort of the definition of a suburb - I said nothing at all that was stereotyping. You did, with your remarks about shoeboxes and the homeless. Aren't you being just a bit defensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
SUMMARY:

Everyone on this thread: Suburbs suck. There's nothing but big box stores and every one of them in America is exactly the same and worthless.

Me: [Stereotype about inner-city Portland.]

Sayulita: Wow you are judgmental and defensive.

(btw From time to time I do pass through Hillsdale in my evil automobile, and it does seem like a pretty nice area. I guess because it's within the city limits that it technically is the city of Portland - ?? - but it doesn't "feel" like the city, any more than the West Hills really feels like "the city.")

Old 06-12-2009, 05:55 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Just to clarify backdrifter, I was replying to John Shaft and his jabs about "overpriced shoeboxes" and puking homeless". I live in Hillsdale (which is very close to downtown) but am temporarily living out here in the suburbs. What you say is pretty spot on, but still a lot of nice folks live in the "burbs. But I guess some a pretty judgemental as well.
Just to clarify what I said too... I was mostly just replying to the OP's question if Seattle would be any better.

But I agree, there are some great people who live in the suburbs, and almost all of my extended family members live in suburbs of Portland, LA, Phoenix, or Yuma, and I'd say they're all great people. It's just the way of living that you have to live if you live in the suburbs (big box stores and car-oriented) is kind of a drag and that's what I was describing.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:32 PM

588 posts, read 2,828,940 times
I think you guys are making too big of a distinction between suburbs and Portland proper. I live on the west side and do a lot of bicycling in Beaverton and southwest Portland. As I'm riding through Beaverton, I see lots of large houses, lots of cars, some pedestrians, and lots of strip malls -- icons of suburbia. As I pass the sign that says "Entering Portland", guess what? I still see cars, and lots of them; I still see large houses (some are really large), I still see a few pedestrians, and I still see lots of businesses, even (gasp!) strip malls.

If you want to compare suburbia to downtown and the Pearl District, that'd be different, but most of Portland is not that different from suburbia. City limits are just a political boundary, nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland