U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:19 PM

4 posts, read 4,558 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a weekend visit to Portland this summer to see if it would be a city I can relocate to from the Southeast. I have a few questions: can anyone recommend hotels, restaurants, etc. that would be safe for a female traveling on her own? I'm thinking the Hawthorne district would be the most interesting area, but I do want to explore the art galleries and other cultural places in the downtown/Pearl area.
Also, is it easy to navigate the public transportation? I live in a small Southern town that doesn't even have a bus line.
Finally, if I were to move here, what neighborhood would you suggest for a single female teacher?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 08:39 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,018,268 times
If you are interested in staying at a hostel, there is one at 31st and Hawthorne. That will put you right in the Hawthorne area. Otherwise the many downtown hotels would serve. If you are staying on Hawthorne, you can take a bus right outside your door that will take you downtown and let you off at 6th and Main. From there you can walk up to 10th and take a street car to the Pearl.

If you stay downtown, you will be near all the buses that go everywhere as well as the street cars that run along 10th.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:28 AM

63 posts, read 205,040 times
ironikak:

First you should be aware that you are going to be visiting Portland during one of the nicest times of the year. July-early October there is no better place to be thann Portland as far as weather goes. Someing from the Southest you will be pleased at the low humidity and the moderate temperatures.

This may nor be an ideal time to visit to get a true sense of Portland weather...sort of the early dating stages in a relationship when everything seems great. As a teacher you may want to visit again during your spring break (March) or Chrisitmas holiday (late December) when you can get a sense as to what the weather is like the other 8 months.

Joking aside (sort of...) you are not going to find any hotels in the Hawthorne area as mentioned above. You best bet for hotels close to it all will be in downtown Portland. FOr something a bit more eclectic you may want to look into staying at the Kennedy School (Kennedy School Kennedy School Homepage brought to you by McMenamins (http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=57&id=465 - broken link)). This is an old school house that was purchased by the McMenamin Bros. and coverted in to a hotel/pub/etc... It is a little further off the beaten path but bus transportations would be readily avaialble and you could quite easily get to the Hollywood and/or Lloyd (NE Broadway) Districts which are great areas.

Fot transportation in Portland, go to www.trimet.org.

Be aware, hotels in Portland are not cheap when you are talking city center so just be aware. You may also find that "When in Rome..." and rent a bike to ride around a bit. Portland is a very bike friendly city and there are miles and miles of well marked bike lanes to get around. Don't know if you are much of a biker but you can rent bikes from Waterfront Bikes (Waterfront Bicycles) among others and the rate is anywhere from $100-$200/week including helmet, lock and maps.

Welcome to Portland and I hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,018,526 times
Someone mentioned a hostel in Hawthorne. I was browsing through the web and noticed that there is also another one in downtown.

What is the neighborhood like in the one in Hawthorne compared to the one in downtown. What are the pros and cons to both areas. Which one is more accessible to get around on foot and within walking distance to nice shops and bars.

An aquaintance that I know is driving up from California to Portland to stay for a few days. Even though he will be driving up, he doesn't necessarily want to do a whole lot of driving while in Portland. He doesn't read this site so I am trying to find out info. for him.

Does anyone know if those hostel offer free parking?

Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Regarding the two hostels, the one in Hawthorne is going to be more car fiendly since it is predominatly a residential neighborhood and there is no charge to park on the side streets. With that being said, there is not a lot of off-street parking for the residence so parking does fill up quickly.

The hostel in "downtown" Portland is actually a good 10-15 blobk walk from downtown central and the parking in NW Portland is about as bad as it gets.

Both hostels are in great walk-about neighborhoods with funky shops, great pubs and restaurants, and parks/greenspace nearby.

I would presonally recommend the Hawthorne Hostel but either would be a fine palce to stay...

Old 06-15-2009, 06:28 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,018,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonn8v View Post
Regarding the two hostels, the one in Hawthorne is going to be more car fiendly since it is predominatly a residential neighborhood and there is no charge to park on the side streets. With that being said, there is not a lot of off-street parking for the residence so parking does fill up quickly.

The hostel in "downtown" Portland is actually a good 10-15 blobk walk from downtown central and the parking in NW Portland is about as bad as it gets.

Both hostels are in great walk-about neighborhoods with funky shops, great pubs and restaurants, and parks/greenspace nearby.

I would presonally recommend the Hawthorne Hostel but either would be a fine palce to stay...
I second all of that. People really seemed to like the Hawthorne Hostel. It has a garden and porch and is very friendly looking. I don't know about the inside but if it's as nice as the exterior it will be fine. That will put the Hawthorne bus to downtown right outside your door. And you have all of the great shops on Hawthorne to take in. Not to mention restaraunts.

I don't know about the downtown hostel so I can comment on it.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,558 times
Thanks for all the great info. I scored a great deal at the Mark Spencer. It's not luxury, but it seems alright. I also coerced my best friend into coming out there with me, so I'm sure I'll have a great time regardless where I stay!
I do understand about the weather; I've been reading up on the area. It actually rains close to 70 inches a year where I live, so rain (or drizzle) is not an issue for me. The thing that worries me is the lack of sunny days. I grew up in So CA, so that could be a problem. I do plan on visiting in the winter to get a sense of it.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 AM

The Mark Spencer is a funky hotel with a lot of character. I think you will like it quite well.

You are going to be just a couple of blocks from Powell's Book Store (www.powells.com). A must see on any visit to Portland. You will also have very easy access to all of downtown. Portland's downtown is not terribly large. The Mark SPencer sites at the NW corner of downtown Portland and there is really not much that you can't walk to.

You will difinitely want to check out Hawthorn (#14 Bus), and Sellwood (#19 Bus). To find routes, visit www.trimet.org. I won't say they are always the best routes since they will tell you to get on one bus and ride for five blocks then get off and transfer...why not just walk the five blocks, but it will tell you the final bus to take. Just know that nearly all the buses in the city use the Portland Transit Mall which are 5th (southbound) and 6th (northbound) avenues in downtown and you are staying on 11th. Easy 5 to 6 block walk to get to the mall.

Enjoy your trip. Ask more questions. Feel welcome!

Old 07-13-2009, 01:48 AM

75 posts, read 224,893 times
Quote:

good to know.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:49 AM

75 posts, read 224,893 times
Quote:
The Mark Spencer is a funky hotel with a lot of character. I think you will like it quite well.

You are going to be just a couple of blocks from Powell's Book Store (www.powells.com). A must see on any visit to Portland. You will also have very easy access to all of downtown. Portland's downtown is not terribly large. The Mark SPencer sites at the NW corner of downtown Portland and there is really not much that you can't walk to.

You will difinitely want to check out Hawthorn (#14 Bus), and Sellwood (#19 Bus). To find routes, visit www.trimet.org. I won't say they are always the best routes since they will tell you to get on one bus and ride for five blocks then get off and transfer...why not just walk the five blocks, but it will tell you the final bus to take. Just know that nearly all the buses in the city use the Portland Transit Mall which are 5th (southbound) and 6th (northbound) avenues in downtown and you are staying on 11th. Easy 5 to 6 block walk to get to the mall.

Enjoy your trip. Ask more questions. Feel welcome!
good to know. buses are easy once you figure out the system..but this takes patience. so ...thats why i forum hop to let others do the work for me. jk. or am i?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland