U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 AM

3,784 posts, read 5,820,522 times

Advertisements

Don't count on a degree to get you anything jobwise. We have plenty of folks with Bachelor and Masters degrees in minimum wage jobs or worse, out of work entirely. Just stay where you are, build up a nest egg, and check back in a couple of years to see how we're doing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 02:58 PM

7,090 posts, read 11,402,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Gunning for it 6 months beforehand? Where you get 6 months from?
Well, looking at a location and making concrete plans on the situation to be the same 3 years down the road in a period of massive change is kind of odd. As the time to your go/no go decision is so far off it's best to make more focused plans as the time you want to change locales gets closer. I would say 6 months beforehand is where you want to make the concrete go/no go.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:50 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,081,501 times
I held off replying to this because I have been trying to find the article I read where it talks about landscapers going out of business because people are doing their own landscaping as a way to save money. I apologize because I can't find it but it you want to take my word for it, there was such an article printed in either the Oregonian or Portland Tribune a while ago.

Apparently, many homeowners who formerly used that service feel they can no longer afford the luxury. If I find the actual article, I will post it for you.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:29 PM

588 posts, read 2,702,115 times
Just posted by the Oregonian --

Another local restaurant bites the dust.

Nope, restaurants are definitely NOT a hot field right now.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:55 AM

544 posts, read 1,375,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Don't count on a degree to get you anything jobwise. We have plenty of folks with Bachelor and Masters degrees in minimum wage jobs or worse, out of work entirely. Just stay where you are, build up a nest egg, and check back in a couple of years to see how we're doing.

Id only get the degree in culinary or something. I know the story about those with masters in say criminal justice or rookie attorneys who have a wicked time. It doesnt matter at all, but I feel for culinary it does and can be useful if you go to school for it with the restaurant influx and all.
It would most likely be 2-3 yrs when I check back into going anyhow so..maybe that will be the time.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Just posted by the Oregonian --

Another local restaurant bites the dust.

Nope, restaurants are definitely NOT a hot field right now.

Right now maybe but in 3 yrs, it could bounce back.

If every sector is totally dead there, all I can say is that it may not be much more than a city where people are on benefits everywhere or on some sort of government aid. It looks like with many businesses not doing good that either the cheap eats will be open still or the beer because beer doesnt add up usually like a restaurant bill, but they wont be hiring many people or whatever else.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Id only get the degree in culinary or something. I know the story about those with masters in say criminal justice or rookie attorneys who have a wicked time. It doesnt matter at all, but I feel for culinary it does and can be useful if you go to school for it with the restaurant influx and all.
It would most likely be 2-3 yrs when I check back into going anyhow so..maybe that will be the time.
An acquaintance of mine graduated from the School of Culinary Arts a year ago and has only been able to score jobs at either fast food restaurants or bakeries part time. Going to cooking school is just another one of those criminal justice or rookie attorneys you mentioned. I think it would work for other cities but like all the other professions, the market is saturated with chefs and restaurant workers here.

Unless you are in the medical profession I just don't think there are any available jobs and won't be for some time.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:10 PM

7,090 posts, read 11,402,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Unless you are in the medical profession I just don't think there are any available jobs and won't be for some time.
Very true, though even the medical profession is suffering quite a bit. At my own we have laid off 1,200 people in 2 planned events.

Plus, and I hate any sort of conspiracy theories (only movie I can watch that comes close is The Matrix), there seems to be more sort of "phantom layoffs" recently as well. People are being fired for reasons that make no sense. One person was fired for being in the hospital for a month without a doctors explanation...the problem is she has never admitted to the hospital in the last 5 years. Another was fired for continuous bad reviews in the last few years, she has a copy of them and all are above 90% (including one she just had). These positions will not be filled.

I really don't like how they are going about the layoffs in many of the industries around here, many aren't McD's workers...a good number are highly educated and experienced people. Anyone who gets laid off like that will have the grudge of a lifetime against that company.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Very true, though even the medical profession is suffering quite a bit. At my own we have laid off 1,200 people in 2 planned events.

Plus, and I hate any sort of conspiracy theories (only movie I can watch that comes close is The Matrix), there seems to be more sort of "phantom layoffs" recently as well. People are being fired for reasons that make no sense. One person was fired for being in the hospital for a month without a doctors explanation...the problem is she has never admitted to the hospital in the last 5 years. Another was fired for continuous bad reviews in the last few years, she has a copy of them and all are above 90% (including one she just had). These positions will not be filled.

I really don't like how they are going about the layoffs in many of the industries around here, many aren't McD's workers...a good number are highly educated and experienced people. Anyone who gets laid off like that will have the grudge of a lifetime against that company.
Subsound, sometimes I think we both work for Voldemort Inc. although I know that's not the case. At old Vold we have a mystery going on it's called "The Case of the Disappearing Old People Who have Pensions."
The company offered pensions to employees as a mutual firm but then stopped them in 1999. Those who had them were grandfathered in to keep them. However, before they can collect, they have to give the company three months notice they are going to do so and jump through a few other hoops.

People are getting "laid off" just before they can declare their 3 months, or having declared them, are being fired for no noticeable reasons. I mean, does it take 20 years with the company to determine someone isn't doing their job? The company will say they are cutting back but then after the dust settles, some 20-something will have been hired to take the would-be (or would-have-been) retiree's place.

Then there is the "Now You See Them, Now You Don't" employees. One woman who was hired as part time walked because she was attending school which is the reason she could work only part-time. Then they hit a heavy spell and badgered her to work more hours. Eventually they told her she would have to leave school in order work more hours to keep her job. The reason for this was they suddenly decided they needed a full time worker. She walked. The "Deatheater" in charge of the department was very angry this employee left. I pointed out that they would have let this woman go anyway as soon as they found a full-time person to replace her because she wasn't going to give up school. She just beat them to the punch.

I myself was demoted from a job at Voldemort that I liked and forced to take a cut in pay. Three others were in the same boat in that department. I was told I wasn't doing my job up to par yet I had all my reviews up until then which said I was doing a stellar job. Nothing but praises all around. I don't know what the others were told.

The four of us were never replaced in that department. We all had to take lessor jobs with the company at lessor pay or leave. My job now calls for mass quantities of overtime to make up for the people let go in my present department as well as mass quantities of stress.

Truth to tell, if I were living in another town and got a job offer here, I would still come with plenty of money to fall back on in case the company that hired me decided to throw me under the bus.

Oh and recently I was told by one of the "Deatheaters" that I shouldn't complain about my status because as she put it "With a 12.5% unemployment rate in Portland be glad you have a job. "

I replied "That's like telling a starving person here's a piece of meat; it's poisoned but it's food so don't complain."

Old 07-05-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
An acquaintance of mine graduated from the School of Culinary Arts a year ago and has only been able to score jobs at either fast food restaurants or bakeries part time. Going to cooking school is just another one of those criminal justice or rookie attorneys you mentioned. I think it would work for other cities but like all the other professions, the market is saturated with chefs and restaurant workers here.

Wow so even for that, you cant score jobs other than fast food or bakeries part time.
However, at least these people still get jobs even if it isnt up to what they went to school for by any stretch so, as long as you got work in Portland (40 hrs a week assuming these low wage jobs are) without any extra bills like car payments or high credit card debt, Id look at that factor myself since as a city, I love Portland.
How can a city be so great, but then it can just turn around and bite you on the ass? I have to really think this over for sure!
So its not just feeling lowered as far as your job rank, but it can also mean part time hours only in a low wage work job. Thats a tough one to swallow especially if you are trying to do it without government aid.
There must be a reason why Portland is called a tease city.
Im probably better off trying to go for a culinary degree and try to do something in a smaller city that needs some of these things that Portland already has.
I know coffee shops are a dime a dozen there, so opening a voodoo doughnut type place would probably not work in Portland. I am kinda torn tho. Private message me someone if you care to.
I like the idea of going to a city with all this good stuff in abundance like restaurants and coffee shops already there like Portland does, but at the same time, I like the idea of going to a city with very little and trying to make something of it maybe with a few other ppl so it improves. Like a small city with a small group of weirdos and just try to start our own **** from scratch like a rebuilding project or a free city project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland