U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-01-2009, 05:48 PM
 
544 posts, read 1,370,255 times
Reputation: 115

Advertisements

Hey. I wanted to ask how things are in the restaurant and landscaping industries in Portland. I would think those 2 sectors would be amongst the strongest since the restaurants are in high demand + landscaping could be done all year round there and not seasonal. Thoughts?
I feel my plan is coming into place with me moving to Portland at the end of the day and the 2 sectors Im considering to get work in are landscaping and culinary. Why do I have this feeling that all my personal interests and even career choice match up with my plans to move to Portland? I dunno, I feel this is destined to happen.
Anyways, get back to me on this subject.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Oceanside and Chehalem Mtns.
716 posts, read 2,634,553 times
Reputation: 530
I can't imagine 2 worse careers in the city with the second worst unemployment in the entire country.

The first things that get cut out of a families discretionary budget when things get tough are going out to eat and services like landscaping.

Who said these careers are in strong demand? Some second rate trade school? I hate to pop your bubble but you could be in store for a very tough time. Come on up and see if you can find something before you make a commitment to move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Beaverland, OR
588 posts, read 2,694,920 times
Reputation: 470
Meltinjohn, are you serious? Restaurants are in high demand? Where, pray tell, did you hear this? Many restaurants are closing due to lack of business. People are not going out to eat as much in order to save money.

Many folks and some businesses are cutting back on landscaping as well, and I would not call it a year-round business by any means.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 PM
 
544 posts, read 1,370,255 times
Reputation: 115
I say it because Portland is a hub to many restaurants ntm, there are still many cheap eats around, although not as low as the foodtrucks but the mid graders can get business like say Montage. That was a full ****ing house when I went last yr lol. There is a reality where restaurants do do well, its just the one you choose to see. When I move there, it might not be for another 3 yrs which it will pick up by then also, so I am thinking of that. The Portland now, wont be the Portland in 3 yrs or so, altho it will be a very similar Portland, it will be picked up in those areas I feel ntm I envision Portland to get back on its feet with the environment sector.
If restaurant cooks arent in high demand, then everything there has to be struggling.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,090 posts, read 11,370,276 times
Reputation: 4120
Restaurants are really suffering, even though it's really a foodie town. There are great educational venues that push chefs/managers in Portland, and a great number of education opportunities, but even before the downturn it was pretty saturated with graduates. I think in 3 years it might have recovered, but right now even decent restaurants are mostly empty (great ones are still doing good).

Montage is always kicking, it's a hipster/student local...cheap/decent food, funky atmosphere, and perfect location. You can still see a number of vacant store fronts where other eats were and have closed up shop. I really don't think the environmental sector in the area is going to be a golden cash cow like many think either. During such a bad recession the last thing people are going to be spending money on is green products that cost a great deal more then other related goods (they simply can't) and many state taxes are not advantageous to businesses in the area (more companies located in places like Seattle). Even when people had money before the downturn they didn't buy fewer better products, they bought more cheap crap products.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 08:08 PM
 
544 posts, read 1,370,255 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Restaurants are really suffering, even though it's really a foodie town. There are great educational venues that push chefs/managers in Portland, and a great number of education opportunities, but even before the downturn it was pretty saturated with graduates. I think in 3 years it might have recovered, but right now even decent restaurants are mostly empty (great ones are still doing good).

Montage is always kicking, it's a hipster/student local...cheap/decent food, funky atmosphere, and perfect location. You can still see a number of vacant store fronts where other eats were and have closed up shop. I really don't think the environmental sector in the area is going to be a golden cash cow like many think either. During such a bad recession the last thing people are going to be spending money on is green products that cost a great deal more then other related goods (they simply can't) and many state taxes are not advantageous to businesses in the area (more companies located in places like Seattle). Even when people had money before the downturn they didn't buy fewer better products, they bought more cheap crap products.
3 yrs is most likely a good time when restaurants will be kicking even more. People need to save their money right now to be able to afford it.

I dont know what to believe on the whole tho. Some say that because theres more people than there are jobs, that its harder to get work but then again, I hear that tons want to drift and go there without any intention of working, but collecting government checks so, hard to say whats what sometimes. I know getting a job there isnt impossible since I heard of stories where people lucked out even lower wage, but its most likely the hardest work bracket for sure since some lawyers might be flipping burgers and what not.


When I meant the environment sector , I didnt exactly mean this go green zeitgeist style economy. I meant Landscaping and things where your out in the nature and environment. You might have mistaked me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,090 posts, read 11,370,276 times
Reputation: 4120
I never spoke about the landscaping sector...so complain about those who did, I don't know crap about it and nor do I care. I do know the restaurants around me are suffering, one Spanish (not Mexican) has people outside to grab people who walk by (I don't mind, they are tasty)...and there is a number that have failed around my home, some I don't mind that were bad but some that did that were pretty good.

There are a great number out of work...it's a fact of life right now no matter what you may think. We had our admin assistant position go up with 1k resumes being sent in to apply. Less so for complex positions, but still more then 100 for jobs requiring a masters and 5+ years experience. Wait till you are really gunning for it 6 months before hand when you are planning 3 years ahead. With such great change in the economy it makes no sense to be making your go/no go decision now, especially in such a rapidly changing industry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 AM
 
3,805 posts, read 8,618,212 times
Reputation: 4963
It's very much a reality here - -and most everywhere, I'd imagine. I've been here for a month, and while I have several Financial Services-type offers, none carry a salary that can carry my n - - bills. So I'm scooting back to Austin to melt and work with a buddy for a few months to solidify my nest egg.

Be precise. Come on out for as long as you can afford, while still allowing yourself the resources to go back home and really prepare, once you are certain of the move and your opportunity(ies).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 08:33 AM
 
544 posts, read 1,370,255 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I

There are a great number out of work...it's a fact of life right now no matter what you may think. We had our admin assistant position go up with 1k resumes being sent in to apply. Less so for complex positions, but still more then 100 for jobs requiring a masters and 5+ years experience. Wait till you are really gunning for it 6 months before hand when you are planning 3 years ahead. With such great change in the economy it makes no sense to be making your go/no go decision now, especially in such a rapidly changing industry.

Indeed. I think I am doing the right thing by waiting a few yrs to attempt it. In a yr, Ill have my debt all paid off or before, Ill have even more money saved, so I could be able to do Portland in 2-3 yrs.
Whatcha mean by this?

"Wait till you are really gunning for it 6 months before hand when you are planning 3 years ahead."

Gunning for it 6 months beforehand? Where you get 6 months from?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2009, 08:36 AM
 
544 posts, read 1,370,255 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
It's very much a reality here - -and most everywhere, I'd imagine. I've been here for a month, and while I have several Financial Services-type offers, none carry a salary that can carry my n - - bills. So I'm scooting back to Austin to melt and work with a buddy for a few months to solidify my nest egg.

Be precise. Come on out for as long as you can afford, while still allowing yourself the resources to go back home and really prepare, once you are certain of the move and your opportunity(ies).

Ah so you cant make your bills out there on the salary?

Your moving back to Austin to get a better nest egg but then your coming back to Portland?
I am in Massachusetts now to gain a nest egg and when it gets big enough, I can take a shot out there again.
Now when you move to Portland, do many have to expect that its extremely possible that they could be bounced back home with their family if they run out of money there even if they bring enough for a yr or 2?
Is the cycle like a zig zag where they could go there and live and then move back and then even come back to Portland? If so, that would be hell. When I move there, I plan to stay for good with no chance of returning home so thats why I want to move there maybe with a degree in something that can be put to use out there so I wont have as bad of a time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top