Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times

Advertisements

wonderful post with wonderful observations!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal2009 View Post
I previously came from Dallas, Texas. For me there isnt anything more golden than what we have here in Portland, Oregon. I understand the complaints about the weather, as the grey days can get monotonous and tiring, and the traffic here suckas well, but I for the life of me cannot understand the other complains about this city.

Just today riding my bike from Hillsdale to Rocky Butte I was able to see all the wondeful amenities this city has to offer. There are so many wonderful neighborhoods surrounded by large, lush trees and beautiful roses, in which the houses dont have the same cookie cutter design like in Dallas, these houses actually have some character. The great non corporate/chain restaurants in the middle of the neighborhoods I find absolutely delightful and rather european, not to mention some of the weird shops you find on the eastern side of the city. And then you have beautiful parks like Mt Tabor and Rocky Butte which offer some of the most beautiful views in America. Where else can you get a view like that in a major city outside of maybe Seattle and San Francisco, maybe Denver? Also being able to ride my bike on the street freely without feeling like a moron. People here accept bicyclists and the cycling community here is second to none in the entire USA.

On the way back I passed by several max lines and was once again reminded how awesome the transportation system here is. Coming from Dallas, I cant get over the fact that you can get anywhere in the city by bus or the max. In Dallas, they can only dream of such a concept.

I can understand if you have lived here for a while, you just get bored and want to experience something else. Then you start to project your boredom on the city and start ripping it apart. Also a city is an easy scapegoat for unhappiness. I just wish people would realize that many of us come from cities which cannot even compare to Portland in such amenities as nice neighborhoods, good transportation, weather, great outdoor recreation etc..When you come from a place which lacks all of these things and beyond, you will realize why people come here and love it so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:06 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,129 times
DreamWeavin, when I bought my house in Beaverton in 1999, I had neighbors just like yours. Two weeks after I moved in, a "For Sale" sign went up in their front yard, and a month later, they sold the house to a really cool people. (Unfortunately, they had kids and moved to a bigger house three years later, but the current neighbors are okay.) So don't lose hope!

Nice post, Neal2009!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:38 PM

thanks, one can hope!! OT but I'm now going to have to invest in a Home Surveillence(sp) system with a recorder due to petty vandalizing that might turn into worse. Gonna catch em on camera tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
DreamWeavin, when I bought my house in Beaverton in 1999, I had neighbors just like yours. Two weeks after I moved in, a "For Sale" sign went up in their front yard, and a month later, they sold the house to a really cool people. (Unfortunately, they had kids and moved to a bigger house three years later, but the current neighbors are okay.) So don't lose hope!

Nice post, Neal2009!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
You can get a good full system at Costco, they have been having them on some hefty sales on them lately. It's not something piecemeal and really cheap, but the hardware and software is a fully integrated set you just need to find a good place, mount, and keep the power going.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:24 PM

not a member there,but thanks anyway!! I appreciate your responding.
Checking online at Amazon now. Found that Lowes,Sears and even Walmart has them

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
You can get a good full system at Costco, they have been having them on some hefty sales on them lately. It's not something piecemeal and really cheap, but the hardware and software is a fully integrated set you just need to find a good place, mount, and keep the power going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland