Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 01:09 PM

44 posts, read 107,932 times

Advertisements

Earlier this year, BusinessWeek called Portland the Country's unhapppiest city. I've never been to Portland, but it seems exciting to me. Do you think it's unhappy?
America’s Unhappiest Cities: Portland, Ore. - BusinessWeek

Unhappiest U.S. cities:
1. Portland, Or
2. St Louis, Mo
3. New Orleans, La
4. Detroit, Mi
5. Cleveland, Oh
6. Jacksonville, Fl
7. Las Vegas, Nv
8. Nashville, Tn
9. Cincinnati, Oh
10. Atlanta, Ga
11. Milwaukee, Wi
12. Sacramento, Ca
13. Kansas City, Mo
14. Pittsburgh, Pa
15. Memphis, Tn
16. Indianapolis, In
17. Louisville, Ky
18. Tucson, Az
19. Minneapolis, Mn
20. Seattle, Wa
Have you been to any of these cities? Do you think these cities are sad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:22 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Read the forum for a little bit. You'll find out.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:01 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
All I know is when people move from one place to another they form impressions. They are constantly observing their new surroundings, and the local populations are a big focus of that observation. With that said as far as Portland goes I will say the following.

I have never been anywhere, where I have seen so many people that seem so depressed or passive aggressive as here. I have never met or run into so many people, that speak about being in rehab or therapy, or seem somewhat detached from reality as I do in Portland. I've never seen so many people that never say hello or a population that is so disproportinate in age, values or whatever. Truthfully Portland seems like a city that is depressed in itself. It is literally overwhelmed with indigent people and drugs, and the crime level is much higher than a medium size city should be dealing with. Much of the crime in this city is assault and battery and crime for drugs, that is a red warning flag in itself. All and all the city and many of its citizens seem oblivious to all of this, and therefore as far as I am concerned that lacking or caring is depression. With the increase in shootings that are gang related, enough is enough. There is more interest in keeping the local slogan "Keep Portland Weird" and building more and more streetcar lines, than focusing on more important issues. I think it is a very fiscally irresponsible city and has no realistic control over how it spends money. Its dividing classes of have and have nots is so open and in your face, Im sure it contributes alot to a depressing vibe. I definitely don't think the problems the current mayor is having in this city, is doing any good at all and just shows the state of mind here.

I do think georgraphically this is a beautiful region of the country, but between the strange politics and the many quirks in the population groups, its to much for some people. It isn't the weather that made my final decision to look elsewhere to retire to, it became the people, the strange politics and general lack of interest in reality here.

So know I don't think Portland gives the impression it is a very happy city and I think its a shame. I think its a shame because Im told this use to be a very special city in America, and I can see how it probably was. It really is a shame.

From what I hear Lousiville is an up and coming area, but it depends on what a person feels makes a place up and coming. There are many people that hate Jacksonville, quite alot actually but then again someone else might love it.

Don't ever go by everything you read. One should always visit and spend enough time in a place to see if it fits right. Make one's own impression, not thru the eyes of another.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I lived in Portland for 10 years before moving down to Salem and I loved the city. I had a completely opposite experience of jimrob1. I'd be totally happy to move back there.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:01 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
where do they get this information is what I want to know. Unhappy -based on--what?

EDIT-nevermind, I read the article. Ridiculous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA1994 View Post
Earlier this year, BusinessWeek called Portland the Country's unhapppiest city. I've never been to Portland, but it seems exciting to me. Do you think it's unhappy?
America̢۪s Unhappiest Cities: Portland, Ore. - BusinessWeek

Unhappiest U.S. cities:
1. Portland, Or
2. St Louis, Mo
3. New Orleans, La
4. Detroit, Mi
5. Cleveland, Oh
6. Jacksonville, Fl
7. Las Vegas, Nv
8. Nashville, Tn
9. Cincinnati, Oh
10. Atlanta, Ga
11. Milwaukee, Wi
12. Sacramento, Ca
13. Kansas City, Mo
14. Pittsburgh, Pa
15. Memphis, Tn
16. Indianapolis, In
17. Louisville, Ky
18. Tucson, Az
19. Minneapolis, Mn
20. Seattle, Wa
Have you been to any of these cities? Do you think these cities are sad?

Old 07-26-2009, 02:12 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
where do they get this information is what I want to know. Unhappy -based on--what?

EDIT-nevermind, I read the article. Ridiculous!
I agree. It's hogwash. You can make numbers say just about anything. Why else would Portland end up on all the other lists of what a great place to live it is. Heck, the New York Times has been raving about us for years. It's all in a persons perception. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
I always wonder why journalists make up weird articles like that. Cherry pick some random stats together and a city is both the best and the worst city in America. There are good things and bad things, part is touched in many articles on a broad sense...but it's up to each individual how they perceive it.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM

588 posts, read 2,829,105 times
This inane list is meant to sell magazines. Nothing more, nothing less. For whatever reason, some people like lists. If Businessweek published a story about the top 15 meadows for a dandelion to grow in, people would buy that too. Don't waste your time with this drivel.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:08 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
The list contains mostly areas hit hard by the recession with high unemployment... it is easy to find negative indicators of that environment but to hype unhappiness is a gimick to fill an article.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:15 PM

133 posts, read 191,314 times
Whoever wrote this list in Business Week, remember it's their personal opinion. They can make it however they want. It's all hogwash, just like another poster said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland