Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 7,571 times

Advertisements

I have been renting a single family home in Portland, OR. My tenant has not paid rent for the month of May'10. The rent is due on the 5th of each month. He deposited part of the rent on the 6th and mentioned that as he was having income issues; he will deposit the remaining part of the rent on the 12th. I wanted to work with him and accepted the proposal. However on the 12th, he only goes ahead and deposits part of the rent. I have been trying to reach him on his cell phone, office phone and his 2 emails but with no results. He has been avoiding me and I am left with no options but to evict him. Can someone please guide me through the process of eviction? I have maintained the property myself and want to make sure I do everything according to the legal process in Portland. One other thing, I have been living in California for the last 2 years making it hard for me to be there physically. I really wish I had hired a property manager. I intend to for my next tenant.

Thank you in advance.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:06 AM

321 posts, read 1,136,137 times
I would suggest that you check with the county and state if you want to proceed with an eviction. I am a landlord too, and this stuff can be tricky. You do not want to make any missteps.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:21 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,485,745 times
Aside to this thread.....

Can a landlord evict without a court order in Oregon?
In previous states I have lived in, the most a landlord can do in the poster's case is give the tenet 30 days notice of cancelling the rental agreement, and the tenet's loss of security deposit due to late payment.

To actually force a tenet into homeless status and put his belongings in the street for being less than 30 days late in rental payment... I would guess a landlord would need a lawyer on annual retainer to advise you on city and county public policy on that. But I don't know.

This sounds like a very gray legal area to me. But I haven't lived in Oregon all that long.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:39 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
You cannot expect posters on a web site to "guide (you) through the process of eviction." Circumstances are often such that all facts and occurrances are not stated and chances are you will be getting more opinion than true legal advice. You should take a look at the Orgeon Landlord Tenant Laws. Even if you are an absentee landlord you should have this handy if you are renting property in Orgeon. You will probably have to consult an attorney in California who can interpret Oregon law or hire an Oregon attorney long distance.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:43 PM

259 posts, read 601,935 times
I'm not in your position (although I've been a landlord in the past), but it seems kind of harsh to me that you want to evict him when he's paid part of the rent and isn't even 30 days past due yet. It looks like he's trying very hard to pay it, despite having some financial problems. I'm not sure you even have a case for eviction yet.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:48 PM

172 posts, read 537,257 times
Find an Oregon attorney who specializes in landlord/tenant law. I am sure there are a bunch. They can handle most aspects of the eviction for you. I will say, as a landlord myself, contemplating eviction when someone is only behind a partial month of rent and is not yet 30 days behind is a bit aggressive. Give them until the end of the month and then decide. Have you given them with a written demand for the past due rent? In the mean time you can call a few attorneys and see what they say and what they would charge you to handle the eviction. If you do not wish to use an attorney there is a high probability that you could screw up all of the paper work and notices, etc which could set back the eviction process several months. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,436 times
Default heres what u have too do hire a person too serve him papers of eviction, then you can rent the place too me

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoller_portland View Post
I have been renting a single family home in Portland, OR. My tenant has not paid rent for the month of May'10. The rent is due on the 5th of each month. He deposited part of the rent on the 6th and mentioned that as he was having income issues; he will deposit the remaining part of the rent on the 12th. I wanted to work with him and accepted the proposal. However on the 12th, he only goes ahead and deposits part of the rent. I have been trying to reach him on his cell phone, office phone and his 2 emails but with no results. He has been avoiding me and I am left with no options but to evict him. Can someone please guide me through the process of eviction? I have maintained the property myself and want to make sure I do everything according to the legal process in Portland. One other thing, I have been living in California for the last 2 years making it hard for me to be there physically. I really wish I had hired a property manager. I intend to for my next tenant.

Thank you in advance.

sorry that you are going threw this mess, just hire a person too serve him papers and then he will move out...
then you can move me in. I will pay the bills on time and keep the place looking like new

[EMAIL="mrgmueller@yahoo.com"]mrgmueller@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 PM

18 posts, read 42,721 times
on the other side, if you are a landlord who wants a reliable tenant who pays on time every month send me a message, I am looking for an Aug 1 move in and have prior landlords for reference!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
I'll pay the bills on time too, but is that the point? None of us know beyond today in this brave new post financial meltdown world. Do you really want to rent from a landlord that considers his eviction options before a single month has passed with no rent? Is it that much of a seller's market?

H

Old 05-25-2010, 03:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'll pay the bills on time too, but is that the point? None of us know beyond today in this brave new post financial meltdown world. Do you really want to rent from a landlord that considers his eviction options before a single month has passed with no rent? Is it that much of a seller's market?

H
Not to mention he is living in California where he chooses to remain uninformed about the laws in the state where he owns property. I know I am biased. I have a problem with absentee landlords. In Chicago they were also known as "slum lords."

I am not saying this guy is one of those but he is typical of someone who thinks he can rent property without having the responsiblity of learning the rights of both himself and his tenant just because he doesn't live where the property is. If it is so "hard" for him to rent out property in another state he probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: