Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,346,612 times

Advertisements

So, here is the low down on me. I love the nightlife, I love beer, art, local music and culture. I am tired of spokane and am going to move to Portland by November 1st. Where would be a good place for a 26 year old male who brews his own beer, owns his own clothing company and such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 01:02 AM

46 posts, read 116,097 times
Omaha.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,006,484 times
Southeast Portland comes to mind first.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 8,317 times
Haha... You would fit in Omaha for sure! That's funny. However, as nice as living in Omaha is, I'm ready to peace out for Portland this fall, Hoping to find the same kind of neighborhood you are. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious80 View Post
Haha... You would fit in Omaha for sure! That's funny. However, as nice as living in Omaha is, I'm ready to peace out for Portland this fall, Hoping to find the same kind of neighborhood you are. Good luck.
I dont live that far from Portland as it is and the cost of living isnt that far off. I will be going with extra money for emergencies and plan on taking a trip there next month to line up a job and maybe a house or apartment.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:40 PM

716 posts, read 2,809,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Where would be a good place for a 26 year old male who brews his own beer
233 SE 12th Avenue. (ie right next door to Steinbarts)

However Portland water tends to be from reservoirs which is good for lagers/pilsners but bad for ales and stouts. If you want to brew stouts and ales you need well water and you'll be better off in Eastern Oregon.

I don't blame you for wanting out of Spokane. I hear you have to drive to Idaho to get real laundry soap. Either that or put up with poopy butt underwear streaks.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
233 SE 12th Avenue. (ie right next door to Steinbarts)

However Portland water tends to be from reservoirs which is good for lagers/pilsners but bad for ales and stouts. If you want to brew stouts and ales you need well water and you'll be better off in Eastern Oregon.

I don't blame you for wanting out of Spokane. I hear you have to drive to Idaho to get real laundry soap. Either that or put up with poopy butt underwear streaks.
and there is no culture here in spokane. There is nothing to do unless you want to golf, hike, or go to a movie. The nightlife only exists at dive bars on the weekdays and any a few bars have anything worth going to on the weekends. Plus we have like 3 or 4 taverns and they take advantage of the craft beer lovers. charging up to 4 times what the retail cost is. We also only have one or two brewpubs and they both put out ok beers. I love craft beer and want to be somewhere where it flows like water. Portland is one of if not the craft brew capital of the world.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:45 AM

89 posts, read 236,300 times
fractured_kidult

Oh, your not just a woofin'. Spokane is a dung heap. Some cool people here yet there's a lot of nothing people perpetually on the make.

I'd suggest looking at places to live that are close to where you'll work, or live in a place that makes it easy to commute for whatever it is you do for a living. Unless your two business are where it is at.

When in Portland, go to SW Nebraska in John's Landing. Go to the Fulton Pub and Brewery. The Fulton is a McMenamins is just so awesome. They have a Captain Neon's fermentation chamber - where the beer is alive!

McMenamins - Fulton Pub & Brewery Home

Multnomah County, the county with Portland city in it, can be expensive and sort of a mess with traffic and income taxes. Try somewhere in Clackamas County like Milwaukee perhaps or you do indicate Oregon City.

The Portland music scene rocks from any of the current rock West Coast band tours, to all variety of folk (I like the Irish Traditional), and more. Seek out the Doug Fir. (Doug Fir Lounge - Portland, Oregon). Also, Kell's in Portland (Kells Irish Restaurant & Pub - Portland, Oregon - Home of the largest St. Patrick's Festival in the Northwest - If you can't go to Ireland, come to Kells! (http://www.kellsirish.com/portland/index.php - broken link)).

Yeah, Spokane is a giant cultureless white turd. The dating is crap for men in Spokane. In Portland, many more womyn than men.

Northern Lights and the Spokane Brewery are okay. These craft brews are supreme in Spokane but they are nothing what you get in Portland. Or try Sierra Nevada in Chico. Like McMenamins, Sierra Nevada keeps the stout in nitro charge. Try the Ken's Communication Breakdown burger at the Fulton. Excellent!

If you don't mind the distance, you can consider Hillsboro or Beaverton in Washington County, well West of Portland yet accessible by the 26 and the MAX and by bike.

Hope that helps.

MacDuff
--
Yay, Portland!

Spokane? What a culture-less dung heap.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 AM

89 posts, read 326,691 times
Check out the St John's neighborhood. There is a new place called Plew's brews where they are into making craft beer. St. John's is a up and coming neighborhood that is affordable. Easy commute to downtown. It only take me about ten munutes on highway 30 to get to the Pearl district. The St. John's bridge is beautiful too. St John's Bridge, Portland, Oregon - Archiplanet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland