Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 10:11 PM

398 posts, read 1,318,148 times

Advertisements

Hi all, does anyone commute between Hood River and the Portland area? What have been your experiences? I realize that there can be some sketchiness but realistically, how many days out of the winter is the commute not do-able? One? Two? Ten? How many days of the days that are do-able would you say it is white-knuckle driving, and how long does it take on days like that? I'm concerned about the ice moreso than the snow. I have been up and over the pass on 26 so many times in the snow, but I've never taken 84 through the Gorge in the winter. I will be moving to Oregon soon and commuting to Troutdale... still trying to decide which community to call home base. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 AM

Anyone? Anyone?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Don't you hate it when you get no responses??? I'll take pity on you and tell you what I think. Key word is "think" rather than "know". First thought is that commuting to Troutdale vs. Portland is a very different thing. Troutdale is much closer to Hood River than central Portland is. As I recall from news stories, Troutdale is usually the place where all the traffic is stopped when severe weather shuts down the gorge. My guess is that 6 maybe 7 days tops in an entire winter would be a troublesome, if not impossible commute. Not so bad in the grand scheme of things. I hope others with more firsthand knowledge will chime in. All in all, I don't think it's a factor that needs to weigh heavily in your decision on where to move. Personally, I'd live in Troutdale if I were working there. Shorter commute and closer to big city amenities.

Last edited by sayulita; 08-28-2009 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 04:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
I just saw the OP's post. Sayulita hit all the major points.

You don't need to worry about snow; there's no such thing as 'soft' snow in the gorge - it always turns to ice.

A commute is certainly doable, plenty of people do it. If the freeways get shut down, you don't get to work. It's also impossible for amateurs to predict the weather - but you can count on I-84 being closed down for two to three days every winter. IMO and experience.

Hood River is gorgeous. For me, it would be worth living there to chance four to five days per winter of icy/semi-icy roads. Keep in mind, if it's icy on I-84, it's icy in Troutdale.

"All in all, I don't think it's a factor that needs to weigh heavily in your decision on where to move."I absolutely agree with Sayulita here.

But I would live in Hood River rather than Troutdale if I had the option. That's just personal preference; the threat of ice wouldn't stop me from living where I wanted to.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:21 AM

499 posts, read 1,447,132 times
Many years ago when I was going to PCC in downtown Portland I had a language teacher who commuted there from Hood River. I don't remember his ever having missed a class so I would guess that for the most part you'd have little trouble getting thru the Gorge. Like SeeBee says, if the gorge is closed you just don't go to work that day.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:00 PM

Wow, I totally expected this idea to be shot down immediately! But I was pleasantly surprised with the nice comments I have received here. Thanks everyone! Slowly but surely I'm narrowing my search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland