Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 PM

16 posts, read 51,034 times

Advertisements

I have listened to NPR for years, most recently in Sacramento. I have been dismayed by the irritating voices of local reporters, music playing in the background of serious reports, the constant repeats of programs, and the huge amount of time given to World and BBC. Are these budget problems?
I have contacted OPB several times in the last 18 months and get no response.
Anybody got inside knowledge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
I don't know if they are budget related or not but I share some of your concerns and opinions. I can't say I have noticed music as a background to news reports but IMO the programming of the music fillers between broadcasts is offkey. Most programming is repeated twice daily and yes, during the last two months there have been an inordinate amount of 're-broadcasts'. My solution: stream the NPR station of your choice into the media player of your choice and connect with news and views programming you do respect and enjoy.

H

Old 08-26-2009, 11:30 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Most likely. OPB here in PDX is great. It does repeat though still, morning shows are repeated during the evening.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:49 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
So I guess you think the "irritating voices" and music are the results of budget problems? I guess a person with a really good radio voice would command more money at a for-profit radio network, so OPB's budget can only afford people with less appealing pipes!

Actually, I kind of agree with you. There are a couple of announcers who irritate me (one in particular with the initials A.B.) and some of the music choices seem out of place at times. However, the only time I hear programming from BBC is from 10pm to about 4am.

Small doses of OPB is the answer--maybe limit yourself to an hour or two a day. And if you're not a member, become one so they'll have more money to improve their lineup.

One last thing--when I lived in Corvallis we affectionately referred to OPB as "Only Portland Broadcasting" since the local reporting is so Portland-centric area even though it bills itself as a statewide resource. When they report about Pendleton or Lakeview or even Albany, the reports have the air that they are reporting from someplace that their entire audience is totally unfamiliar with.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:51 PM

16 posts, read 51,034 times
I've supported NPR stations for - uh - decades.
So - on a regular day at OPB, we have: "BBC World Service," "World Have Your Say," "BBC Newshour," "The World," and "BBC's The World Today."
A lot of hours out of the day.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:41 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
I appreciate global news. Public broadcasting also offers English language news from Australia, South Korea, Russia and eastern Europe (I can't recall which country), and the Commonwealth Club. As I listen in Seattle, Portland and San Francisco the offerings vary slightly. The local news is on TV.

Frankly the voice of the broadcaster is MUCH less important than the content. Diane Rehm Show is a prime example.

Portland has a fantastic public jazz station too.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,108 times
My opinion:
Stop using my tax money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland