Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 PM

141 posts, read 478,296 times

Advertisements

Hello, me and my wife are in our late 20s,we both are college educated, i have a bachelor degree in Criminal Justice, and she have a degree in Information Systems Secuity (computer field).We would like to move to Portland. We want to live in a neighborhood where other young professionals live, also is there any good schools that deal with autism.I been in love with Portland since my brother graduated from Concordia in 2003

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 11:15 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,476,846 times
It has been several years since I worked with the Urban League of Portland, things may have changed, but that would be where (were I in your situation) I would make my first call.

Black, white, or polka-dot, jobs in Portland are often found by networking. Find employment first.

You will have no problem finding a neighborhood that works for you, you will be welcome anywhere. I don't know which schools deal with autism best but I am confident that there is a community of parents with special needs children who will help. Again, network.

I wish you the best. Portland is a wonderful place to live BUT at the moment employment is an issue for everyone.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,533,009 times
Nell is right on. I suggest searching the boards here, as well on craigslist.

If you have what you really need but not necessarily "want" where you are: relax & research at your leisure!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:43 AM

141 posts, read 478,296 times
Thanks Neil Plotts, and Sarahkate_m for replying to my post, right now we live in Dayton Ohio and both have steady employment i am a Community Control Officer ( in Ohio thats what we call a Probation Officers) and my wife work at a hospital doing coumpter mantience.After looking at Portland job situtation its not as bad as anything in Ohio,but since we have steady employment we just gone wait until the economy pick back up before we make any decisions thanks.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:10 PM

682 posts, read 2,412,755 times
A good place to start gathering info on schools/networking is Autism Society of Oregon, and you might also check with Portland State University's special education/autism studies department (http://www.ceed.pdx.edu/autism/). They will have a fairly good idea about the programs in the area, or at least where to start looking.

Last edited by figmalt; 08-30-2009 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Added web link.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:09 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,533,009 times
Here are some links for you to explore:

State employment:
State of Oregon Jobs Page

Portland & surrounding cities, gov't employment:
Regional Governmental Jobs - CascadeLink

I'm excited for you & your family. *sincere smiley*

Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: