Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM

14 posts, read 45,452 times

Advertisements

I visited Portland a few years back and I remember hearing that there was a project being developed on creating a little italy district in town. Does any one know if this is true? I think it was a great idea and awesome addition to the city..anyfeed back would be appreciated..thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 01:48 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,283 times
I vaguely remember reading about that but haven't heard anything further. We do have some great Italian restaurants, though, and there is an Italian club and an annual Italian festival.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 PM
emh

298 posts, read 852,010 times
Here's an old thread on the topic:

//www.city-data.com/forum/portl...-portland.html

I'm guessing the idea didn't pan out. The website for the project no longer exists:

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 PM

55 posts, read 146,468 times
In my 11 years in Portland I recall meeting only one Italian who in fact was only half Italian and from California. Portland did not seem to have any of that "Old World Catholic" stock so common in the rust belt. Where I grew up in suburban Chicago Everyone was either Irish, Italian, or Polish. I was quite surprised to discover the rest of the country wasn't like this although I found absolutely no hostility in Portland towards such. What Portland does have that I have never encountered elsewhere are very traditional orthodox christian Russians who grow Rasputin type beards and the women wear "Little House on the Prarie" outfits.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durian Beach View Post
In my 11 years in Portland I recall meeting only one Italian who in fact was only half Italian and from California. Portland did not seem to have any of that "Old World Catholic" stock so common in the rust belt. Where I grew up in suburban Chicago Everyone was either Irish, Italian, or Polish. I was quite surprised to discover the rest of the country wasn't like this although I found absolutely no hostility in Portland towards such. What Portland does have that I have never encountered elsewhere are very traditional orthodox christian Russians who grow Rasputin type beards and the women wear "Little House on the Prarie" outfits.
I grew up in Cleveland and our neighborhood was mostly Irish, Italian and Jewish. Cleveland had a Little Italy, Chinatown and many Eastern European neighborhoods. When I lived in Dallas, they were talking about creating a Chinatown. My friends and I had a good laugh over that one. Would they force all the Chinese people to move to their designated area. Ethnic neighborhoods are not created by city planners, they evolve by themselves. I find a lot of people here are of Scandinavian descent. I agree about the orthodox Russians. My daughter in law is Russian and was surprised there were so many here. I'd like to find a place where I could get Sicilian food, especially pizza, and a good Bialy's. The best pizza and Chinese I ever had was in Chicago.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
South Portland--currently the Lair Hill neigborhood and the south end of downtown, used to have a number of Italian immigrants in the early part of the twentieth century(along with Jewish and Irish communities). Unfortunetely most of this neighborhood was destroyed and rebuilt in the 1960s as part of large scale urban renewal. But compared to even places in California there isn't a lot of Italian-American influence in Portland..

Oregon History Project

Old 09-04-2009, 03:19 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Oh how I miss that neighborhood - destroyed by 'community redevelopment' .. now the home of high rise housing units, office buildings and a hotel . My Mom would take me to an Italian cobbler's shop and we would all have a glass of wine while he repaired our high heels. NW 23rd used to be like that when it was 'down on the heels'.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
I'd like to find a place where I could get Sicilian food, especially pizza, and a good Bialy's. The best pizza and Chinese I ever had was in Chicago
Nell if you find one of these let me know. I still on occasion order a Lou Malnotti's pizza over the Internet. Yum!

Old 09-04-2009, 04:42 PM

55 posts, read 146,468 times
The only Italians you'll probably bump into in Portland are in the witness protection program. Good Pizza is hard to find, not much in the way of the multitude of family run neighborhood Italian Restaurants you find in Places like Des Plaines Illinois. Also absent are the many Greek run family restaurants at very reasonable prices like Jimmy's in Des Planes Illinois. That withstanding Portland does have very good culinary taste, it's just not "Old World" style. The Wine selection at the local Safeways and Fred Meyers is phenomenal. Portland suburbs tend to be more "chain" oriented though.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:01 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Nell if you find one of these let me know. I still on occasion order a Lou Malnotti's pizza over the Internet. Yum!
We always have at least one Malnattis pizza in the freezer. Its gotten us through West Coast pizza. Their frozen, partially baked pizzas are 95% as good as the ones you get in the restaurants. It's surprising really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland