U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:05 AM

339 posts, read 2,105,380 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one that thinks the MAX is extremely crowded even during the weekdays lately? I don't know why they keep increasing rates, because given how many people ride that thing, they must be making bank already!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 02:23 AM

682 posts, read 2,233,083 times
You assume that everyone riding is also paying.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
You assume that everyone riding is also paying.
ha, true, but they've been checking tickets a lot more often now. For 3-4 years, I could ride without buying a ticket and not even worry about it, but now, nearly every morning when I go to work, we stop at Kings Hill and get our fare inspected.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:13 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,126,497 times
Jumpman023:

Any chance the new Green line may be taking some light rail assets away from the current lines? I have seen them testing and doing operator training runs on the Green line all last week. Green line opens in something like 7 or 8 days? Yellow line schedule was toasted Last Monday and Tuesday as they tried to get the new North-South lines (tracks) Downtown to mesh with the older Red and Blue lines (tracks) as all left to head East over the river.

Phil

Last edited by philwithbeard; 09-05-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: New tracks, not new lines for Yellow, Red, and Blue

Old 09-05-2009, 10:47 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,196,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
ha, true, but they've been checking tickets a lot more often now. For 3-4 years, I could ride without buying a ticket and not even worry about it, but now, nearly every morning when I go to work, we stop at Kings Hill and get our fare inspected.
That's good to hear. People shouldn't be getting a 'free ride', if you will.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:06 PM

7,711 posts, read 13,623,781 times
I also think the Max is more crowded and will continue to be so. I think the new trains ordered though nice to look at, are not as practical as the older trains. They definitely will cause more crowding. The seating configuration is way off on these new trains. I don't know who designed them, but the seating arrangement is a very poor use of space on the vehicle. Many of the seats can't really be used by an adult becaue their is no room for their legs and feet. The overhead areas to hang on to, have been omitted except for a small area near one of the doors. With more and more trains on the tracks, I find the trains now stop between stations and just sit at times. More frequent breakdowns lately also.

I never got use to the manner in which fares are collected or not collected here. Quite frankly I have never heard of just stopping a train at a particular station and check fares. Checking such as Kings Hill and 82St but rarely other stations. Its not right and really it looks pretty discriminatory in many ways. I can tell you in most of America there is a set plan to collect fares and everyone is checked or they don't ride. Stopping a train at a few select stations frequently to check fares, would not last long in the big cities of America. A Lawsuit would be filed over discrimination. The constant stops at 82nd st for Fare inspections says a whole lot. I don't care for the honor system and wish it would stop. I think the Funding for Trimet extensions should cease, until Trimet can submit a plan for a Fare collection system that is fair to the public. I for one am sick of paying while so many ride free here.

I am glad that there is all this Light Rail here, but again the Fare System and some of the behavior, is beyond anything I have ever seen on Transit in America.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I also think the Max is more crowded and will continue to be so. I think the new trains ordered though nice to look at, are not as practical as the older trains. They definitely will cause more crowding. The seating configuration is way off on these new trains. I don't know who designed them, but the seating arrangement is a very poor use of space on the vehicle. Many of the seats can't really be used by an adult becaue their is no room for their legs and feet. The overhead areas to hang on to, have been omitted except for a small area near one of the doors. With more and more trains on the tracks, I find the trains now stop between stations and just sit at times. More frequent breakdowns lately also.

I never got use to the manner in which fares are collected or not collected here. Quite frankly I have never heard of just stopping a train at a particular station and check fares. Checking such as Kings Hill and 82St but rarely other stations. Its not right and really it looks pretty discriminatory in many ways. I can tell you in most of America there is a set plan to collect fares and everyone is checked or they don't ride. Stopping a train at a few select stations frequently to check fares, would not last long in the big cities of America. A Lawsuit would be filed over discrimination. The constant stops at 82nd st for Fare inspections says a whole lot. I don't care for the honor system and wish it would stop. I think the Funding for Trimet extensions should cease, until Trimet can submit a plan for a Fare collection system that is fair to the public. I for one am sick of paying while so many ride free here.

I am glad that there is all this Light Rail here, but again the Fare System and some of the behavior, is beyond anything I have ever seen on Transit in America.
+1, except it's not just the new trains that are crowded. Even the old ones are packed. There's just too many people nowadays.

I personally really don't like this green line thing either. It's already a pain to drive downtown with the MAX running in one direction, but now driving on 5th and 6th or whatever is going to be a pain now as well. I think we need to invest in a subway system or something. I concur with the fares thing. They should have someone at each station check to see if people have valid fares or whatever. Hell, that would be one way to create jobs in this recession. But I think tri-met needs a bit of an overhaul in general.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:41 PM

5,538 posts, read 22,641,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
An informal survey by KATU last year, when it was doing a report on Max free riders, found about 25% of riders were ticketless or without appropriate purchase outside of Fareless Square.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:53 PM

5,276 posts, read 7,537,824 times
I grew up using public transportation in Cleveland, Ohio, going through a turn style and everybody had to pay. No freeloaders that don't want to pay their fair share. I can't understand why they use the honor system here. Also, if Portland is so into saving the environment why did they go with a street level system instead of an an overhead transportation system. The savings in pollution caused by cars would be enormous. Think of all the gas burned while drivers wait for a Max train to pass. I used to love public transportation years ago, but it's too noisy and too crowded now especially with flu season approaching.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:28 PM

7,711 posts, read 13,623,781 times
I also grew up with transit, for me it was the Boston area. Turnstyles at both subway and streetcar stations. At the Commuter Rail Stations there are employees that check and then punch the ticket. No one rides free and I like it that way.

I agree the Transit Mall for this new Green Line was really not the way to go. It is a good thought, but I already see huge problems with this. The big problem with the Transit Mall is there is just to much traffic on it. Trains, buses, cars and people. It should have been just that a transit Mall, No vehicle traffic other than buses period.

I took the Max from Union Station up towards PSU today. It stops with all the traffic lights and really is slow. Yes where is all this concern for the enviroment, all this traffic means pollution. There are still tons of cars downtown, and the traffic is worse since the roads are all tied up now with trains. It should have been above ground or a subway. Since that was obvioulsy to expensive for TRIMET, the Transit Mall should not have included the Light Rail. It should have been as I mentioned buses only.

Im all for Transit but Portland's Trimet and its Transit projects, its wasteful use of money need to be looked into. There seems to be no end to Trimet's transit projects, but the company seems finacially irresponsible. Next they want to tie up the Broadway Bridge and build a streetcar line from the Pearl to OMSI. It sounds good but is it really needed. All these methods of transit are ridiculously slow and very expenisve. Trimet is also planning its light rail extension from Clackamas to Milwaukee. They should have put in a BART type system like San Fran, at least that has some speed to it. It would also be more practical on long routes like Gresham to Hillsboro. LISTEN TRIMET. All the stops downtown should be above ground or a subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland