Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhwe View Post
So being literate is what makes them so damn rude? I guess I mistakenly referred to them as yuppies as I often see them with baskets filled to the brim of hardcover books and clothes more expensive than their BMW. Now I'm obviously not talking about everyone at Powell's, but the majority, are just plain out rude. The others are mostly the local homeless who sit and read until the next church is serving a meal. They really hate those people, even the ones who shower! They look down upon anyone who isnt as wealthy or high status as they are and it's just so damn obvious in this store.
Damn yuppies and their hardcover books! Most people at bookstores strike me as being a little cold(including myself)--but its like a library, not exactly a place for random small talk. Hey, they might be yuppies but at least someone is contributing to the local economy.

Powell's is okay---it's just a little too overflowing with tourists when I visit for my liking..It is good when I have to find a last minute gift or travel guide to some random location.

Quote:
Dallas? The only people I've ever seen or knew in Dallas were crack heads. And I have close friends from Texas (one from Dallas) and they've said the same thing. I probably didnt see enough of the city though. Who knows.
What were you doing hanging out with crackheads in Dallas?

Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
I lived in and worked in downtown Dallas for 13 years and also in downtown Portland. Dallas was much more yuppified and much more clothes conscious than Portland. I liked Dallas and Portland both, just different. Dallasites are more outwardly friendly than Portlanders. Oregonians are more reserved, but I would never classify them as rude. What constitutes rudeness? Just because a person can afford to buy books and clothing does not make them rude. Or, just because they're not smiling all the time. When I go to Powell's I'm interested in reading, not chit chatting. I guess I'm not really a yuppie, cause I wait for most books to come out in paper. Maybe the rude Powell people are buying used hard covers. LOL

P.S. Crackheads may be in Dallas, (although I chose my friends wisely) but meth freaks are in Portland.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 PM

12 posts, read 47,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Damn yuppies and their hardcover books! Most people at bookstores strike me as being a little cold(including myself)--but its like a library, not exactly a place for random small talk. Hey, they might be yuppies but at least someone is contributing to the local economy.

Powell's is okay---it's just a little too overflowing with tourists when I visit for my liking..It is good when I have to find a last minute gift or travel guide to some random location.

What were you doing hanging out with crackheads in Dallas?
Never said I "hang out" with them, I've just come across some while traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I lived in and worked in downtown Dallas for 13 years and also in downtown Portland. Dallas was much more yuppified and much more clothes conscious than Portland. I liked Dallas and Portland both, just different. Dallasites are more outwardly friendly than Portlanders. Oregonians are more reserved, but I would never classify them as rude. What constitutes rudeness? Just because a person can afford to buy books and clothing does not make them rude. Or, just because they're not smiling all the time. When I go to Powell's I'm interested in reading, not chit chatting. I guess I'm not really a yuppie, cause I wait for most books to come out in paper. Maybe the rude Powell people are buying used hard covers. LOL

P.S. Crackheads may be in Dallas, (although I chose my friends wisely) but meth freaks are in Portland.
The employees are rude too. You think someone in a retail position would have some type of customer service skills. I can understand the wanting to read and not chatting. I use my laptop in Powell's all the time, I have time to sit here and eavesdrop sometimes, the attitude of the people here is just upsetting.

This guy had his bag on a chair next to him, another guy said "excuse me sir, is someone sitting here?" he replied with, "what? theres plenty of other seats" spilled his own coffee because he was overreacting, and started yelling at the guy, saying it was his fault. (There's only two sections with outlets for laptops, that's probably why he picked that area to sit in) I just see this type of attitude in a lot of people here. But I guess I can see that as being "reserved"... or something. Anyone is capable of this behavior, I know, that does not make someone a yuppie.
I just wanted to make a yuppie bashing thread since there's a homeless bashing thread, I believe in equality. I heard Portland is pretty big on equality.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Moderator's Note:

So now that we have the OP admitting s/he was merely trolling, let's give this subject the amout on attention it truly deserves and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland