Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:30 PM

12 posts, read 47,825 times

Advertisements

Why so many in Portland? And why are they the snobbiest ones in the entire country? For the economy and job loss being so ****ty I sure do see Starbucks (and even the local even more expensive coffe shops) still crowded everyday.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:42 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,477,576 times
Ah-h-h, you may have come across one or a dozen such people in Portland, however, my very small non-scientific sample (maybe only 20 Portlanders) in my 3-1/2 weeks in Portland have only small percentage were snobs. And those two were in the Medical profession.

However, if you want to talk about native Portlanders giving a stranger road directions that are accurate, concise, and lucid..... Well that's a whole 'nother thread; Trust me, a whole 'nother thread with lots of expletive words deleted.

Lost in Portland (thank God for the Bus system)

Old 09-07-2009, 10:13 AM

Never had problems with getting directions from someone...

The ones I'm talking about hang out in Powell's all day.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:48 PM

682 posts, read 2,420,287 times
---Hijack---

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post

However, if you want to talk about native Portlanders giving a stranger road directions that are accurate, concise, and lucid..... Well that's a whole 'nother thread; Trust me, a whole 'nother thread with lots of expletive words deleted.

Lost in Portland (thank God for the Bus system)
It's hard to give clear lucid directions when the streets change names every couple miles, or stop and pick up in a completely different area of town. Not to mention 6th avenue, 6th street, 6th place, etc. etc. ad nauseum. I wouldn't even attempt to give directions without a map. The city (and metro area) is laid out poorly. If the sign says "Exit ABC next left" they literally mean next left, even if it's only two feet past the sign. I finally bought a GPS, and I don't get lost any more.

---Hijack complete---

Otherwise, I haven't noticed any more or less Yuppyness in Portland than in other areas. Mostly the feelings of superiority and self-righteousness come from green living and environmental awareness. I'm all for living an eco-friendly, low-carbon-footprint lifestyle, but I don't need everyone else to rub their green consciousness in my face.

Last edited by figmalt; 09-08-2009 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: relate back to OP

Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,720 times
I just visited Portland about 2 weeks ago and I noticed not a lot of yuppies. It was kind of weird because you usually see a lot of yuppies in downtown areas. The one place I did see yuppies (not a lot, but a quite handful) was at Portland City Grill's happy hour..

Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,599,414 times
Forgive the naive question, but how can one spot a yuppie (is it always the BMW and pink polo shirt ?) and why are they such a disliked species, even in a tolerable place like Portland?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,247,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhwe View Post
Never had problems with getting directions from someone...

The ones I'm talking about hang out in Powell's all day.
Gee, I've never considered myself a yuppy, but I must be because I hang out at Powell's. The people at Powell's may just be avid readers. Portland is consistently in the top ten cities considered the most literate.
Portland, the 10th most literate city - Bookmarks Literary Blog - OregonLive.com

Old 09-11-2009, 04:29 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,106,102 times
IMO Portland is not really a yuppie-ish town. Go to Seattle to compare...or some place really yuppie like Dallas.

It is, however, a very hipster city. There is a difference.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:40 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,801,616 times
Other Leading Yup towns -Madison, Boulder and Burlington

Old 09-11-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Gee, I've never considered myself a yuppy, but I must be because I hang out at Powell's. The people at Powell's may just be avid readers. Portland is consistently in the top ten cities considered the most literate.
Portland, the 10th most literate city - Bookmarks Literary Blog - OregonLive.com
So being literate is what makes them so damn rude? I guess I mistakenly referred to them as yuppies as I often see them with baskets filled to the brim of hardcover books and clothes more expensive than their BMW. Now I'm obviously not talking about everyone at Powell's, but the majority, are just plain out rude. The others are mostly the local homeless who sit and read until the next church is serving a meal. They really hate those people, even the ones who shower! They look down upon anyone who isnt as wealthy or high status as they are and it's just so damn obvious in this store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
IMO Portland is not really a yuppie-ish town. Go to Seattle to compare...or some place really yuppie like Dallas.

It is, however, a very hipster city. There is a difference.
I've been to 38 states in this country. Portland and Seattle are pretty up there with yuppies. Dallas? The only people I've ever seen or knew in Dallas were crack heads. And I have close friends from Texas (one from Dallas) and they've said the same thing. I probably didnt see enough of the city though. Who knows.

Don't get me started on Hipsters.... Who buys expensive clothing to appear poor... because it's "hip"? Luckily, coffee gives me the *****s, so I try to avoid the smell even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland