Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 PM

9 posts, read 20,085 times

Advertisements

well i saved a few bucks and can now move back to my favorite city portland.
i am a waiter with 20 yrs exp and want to hit the ground running when i get there.
looking at a lot of the posts i can say i am pretty worried about the restaurant job market in portland.
most posts are for tech jobs and non food industries and not much about restaurants so please
help a brother out with any good news you may have about what i can expect.
any info would help me out. i know it cant be all bad. i am willing to do what it takes. i love working and want to find something asap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:31 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times
Did you check craigslist yet? I thought there was quite a few restaurant jobs listed.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:03 AM

yes i have been on craigslist every day looking at jobs and rooms. it is a good site and i thank you for your suggestion. the only thing it does not offer is forum for local opinions and ideas. a friend told me about city data and i have been on since.
one thing i hear on these posts a lot is find a job before you get here but unfortunatly that just does not happen with non management restaurant positions.
so the most info i can get will get me a step ahead to being a gainfully employed addition to the city.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:31 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Dude:

A couple of weeks ago I saw an job opening for a cook and a waiter at an assistance living place for senior citizens. These jobs are hard to come by, but they do exist in Portland. No tips of course, but the hourly rate wasn't too bad, IIRC. Steady work; it's not as if Portland will run out of senior citizens any time soon.

Phil

Old 09-09-2009, 02:22 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Stay away for a while. On the Portland Food blogs people are talking about how they are getting HUNDREDS and in some cases thousands of applications for the most menial restaurant jobs. And not just career workers, but people who had highly skilled jobs with degrees.

Some owners have gotten to the point where they just randomly grab a bunch of resumes from the pile and pick through those because they do not have time to examine every one in detail.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:29 AM

well if employers ARE picking up app's then they must be hiring even if it is random piles. fortunatly for me i am willing to let the employers know i am looking and avaliable every week

Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyy View Post
well if employers ARE picking up app's then they must be hiring even if it is random piles. fortunatly for me i am willing to let the employers know i am looking and avaliable every week
Smitty, as someone else so elequently pointed out Somebody has to win the lottery even though the chances are million to one. You said you had a little money saved; it would be better to wait until you had a lot of money saved to hold you over until you "win" that elusive job.

Good luck, I hope you turn out to be that one in a million.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 PM

well
i won the lotto, i found a job bartending downtown. it slso does lotto so i guess there is hope. all it took was time,phone calls, some photos and luck and i now am employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: