U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:17 PM

24 posts, read 70,013 times

Advertisements

i currently live in Arizona and talk about plastic AND pretentious! It's like a mini LA. I was on my honeymoon there and I loved it, though I have been warned that it can be depressing during the winter. I also heard that no matter the weather, portlander's seem to still be active in the outdoors. One thing I noticed is that everyone is so friendly (maybe because I'm use to rude all the time) and I thougth it had a nice mix of culture. Here we have super rich whites and a lot of mexicans who hate whites. I am in the middle, white but not rich, but still hated. Kinda funny.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 25,444 times
Default Great Climate

I have had a wish to move to Oregon since I was a kid. It only took me about 45 years to fulfill the wish. Here in the PNW we don't get the Winters of the Northeast. They are much milder with far less snow. The brutal Winters in MA and NH were enough to make the West more attractive.

The Rockies stopped my westerly progress and I ended up 18 years in Colorado. It was great and it was before the wave of evangelical crazies moved in. Colorado Springs now has the dubious distinction of having the most churches per capita of any US city. Toss in Pease AFB, Ft. Carson, the Air Force Academy, NORAD and the military industrial complex giant Martin Marietta and you get a powerful conservative influence, even though I never detected much of a conservative cadre in the general population.

Oregon, particularly from metro Portland, has terrific places to visit in day trips. The coast is spectacular, the Willamette Vally is magnificent and eastern Oregon is similar to the high country of Colorado. The lush, green landscape is comforting. It's peaceful. Even in the Portland metro area you'll find homes scattered in heavily to moderately forested neighborhoods. Even the City of Portland has not overlooked the value of having trees in as many places as possible.

The weather? Well, a friend of mine in Colorado once remarked that Seattle averages as many overcast days per year as Colorado does sunny days. Portland may have fewer, but it's a serious considertion if you're thinking of moving here.

Last edited by Massachusetts Yankee; 12-14-2008 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-14-2008, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 17,154 times
I'm planning a move to Portland, OR with my child in the next 6 months - she's 5(close enough). Any particular areas I should be looking in for apartments, church, etc..??

Old 01-12-2009, 02:34 PM

89 posts, read 300,002 times
I've been in Portland 10 years. For the most part I like it. My only problem with the city is housing cost, and traffic. Traffic seems to get worse every year, and housing takes a big bite out of your paycheck. I've thought about moving several times, but am waiting for the right opportunity. I would like to move back to Montana where I went to college.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:29 PM

9,792 posts, read 10,556,303 times
I might be movin'
to Montana soon
Just to raise me up a crop of
Dental Floss

Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
That I can sell uptown

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

Raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

Well I just might
grow me some bees
But I'd leave the sweet stuff
To somebody else . .
. but then, on the
other hand Iwould

Keep the wax
N' melt it down
Pluck some Floss
N' swish it aroun'

I'd have me a crop
An' it'd be on top
(that's why I'm
movin' to Montana)

Movin' to Montana soon (yippee y yo ty yea)
Gonna be a Dental Floss
tycoon (yes I am)
Movin' to Montana soon
Gonna be a mennil-toss flykune

Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,542 times
Portland has many diverse neighborhoods. The African-Americans live mainly in the N.E. part of the city (Lloyd District, N.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., etc...). The Asians live near the Sandy Blvd. area in N.E. Portland also many live in S.E. Portland as well as the suburbs of Beaverton and Clackamas. The Hispanics live in the suburb of Hillsboro, but I don't know where they live in the city proper. Whites are dispersed everywhere. according to Wikipedia Portland is on the list for U.S. Cities for large Chinese-American and Vietnamese-American populations.

Transportation: MAX (light rail), Trimet (bus), Portland Street Car, WES Commuter Rail

Shopping (major dept. stores): Nordstrom, Saks 5th Avenue, Nike Town, Marios, Macy*s)

Shopping (areas): downtown, Lloyd District, N.W. 23rd Ave., Hawthorne, etc...

Population (metro): around 2 million

Airport(s): Portland International Airport

Major Freeways: Interstaste 5, U.S. 26, Interstate 84, Interstate 205, OR-217, Interstate 405

Professional Sports Team(s): Trail Blazers (NBA, basketball)

Just Google it to see pictures

Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,422,077 times
Re acs.179's comment about the rural parts of the state influencing state law: that happens everywhere.

One thing that Oregon has, though, is a very well organized state code as compared to a randomized political mess of contradictory statutes where you can't really tell what's going on with the laws.

The Oregon legislative site says that everything happens through committee and there is citizen input. I don't know if it happens that way, but I do know very few states have what you would like: legal gay marriage or even civil unions. So to judge Oregon or Portland on one issue is not really fair to Oregon, which really is more liberally legally than many other western states. Not to mention any since this thread is about Oregon.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:47 AM

14 posts, read 28,506 times
I'd like to chime in. I lived in Denver for 12 years and have been in Portland for almost 7 years. I'm considering coming back to Colorado in a year or so. I love many things about Oregon, but I don't like the dreary weather, the crappy job market and the hipster attitude in Portland. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:29 PM

162 posts, read 475,676 times
Amy, I have thought about Denver in the past. As divine as Portland is when it is sunny and warm, such as right now, the continuous stretches of dreary weather are a bit monotonous. Could you give me a small comparison of both cities?

As dreary as Portland is at times, weather such as this right now makes this place one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 AM

21 posts, read 80,986 times
Interesting thread, particularly Portland compared to Denver. A few positives about Portland I wanted to mention: driving here is a dream. People are polite, they let you in, they drive cooperatively. After 10 years of aggressive drivers in LA it's wonderful. I think it's part of the community atmosphere here. Second, Portland is a wonderful place to raise a family. (At least on the eastside), so many coffee shops and restaurants have play areas, there are movie theaters with on-site childcare, several museums, the zoo, indoor playparks in the winter through parks and rec or private cooperatives (that are cheap), the list goes on and on. And if you live close-in, everything is no more than 15 minutes away.

That being said, the job market stinks in any economy here. THere are very few large companies here and high level jobs are hard to come by. Many of us are self-employed or (tele)commute to other cities. And the weather for half the year is awful. But summers are incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland