U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,090 posts, read 11,171,488 times
Reputation: 4118

Advertisements

I can say after living in Boulder/Denver for 14 years, then here in Portland for a year...I want to go back as well. Outside of the weather and public transit though, I like the cloudy, wet weather compared to the unchanging manic sunny all the time...while Denver's public transit sucks. Everything else I have to give a thumbs up to Denver.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2009, 12:34 PM
 
162 posts, read 475,907 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I can say after living in Boulder/Denver for 14 years, then here in Portland for a year...I want to go back as well. Outside of the weather and public transit though, I like the cloudy, wet weather compared to the unchanging manic sunny all the time...while Denver's public transit sucks. Everything else I have to give a thumbs up to Denver.
While Denver does have the unchanging sunny all the time weather, couldnt you argue that Portland for 7 months has the unchanging dreary and rainy weather?

I am really interested to know how Denver and Boulder compare to Portland outdoors wise. Obviously the one thing that makes Portland stand out is it is close to the coast, which Colorado is not. However, as beautiful as the Columbia river gorge and the major volcanoes are, how do they compare to Rockeis in terms of beauty and recreation? I gotta admit, the view of Mt. Hood and St. Helens on a sunny and clear day is something pretty special.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2009, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,090 posts, read 11,171,488 times
Reputation: 4118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal2009 View Post
While Denver does have the unchanging sunny all the time weather, couldnt you argue that Portland for 7 months has the unchanging dreary and rainy weather?
They both kind of have the extreme ends of the same type of weather, I just like precipitation more (Denver has about 300 days of sun a year)....my wife likes the sun more. Too each their own really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal2009 View Post
I am really interested to know how Denver and Boulder compare to Portland outdoors wise. Obviously the one thing that makes Portland stand out is it is close to the coast, which Colorado is not. However, as beautiful as the Columbia river gorge and the major volcanoes are, how do they compare to Rockeis in terms of beauty and recreation? I gotta admit, the view of Mt. Hood and St. Helens on a sunny and clear day is something pretty special.
Colorado has huge outdoor activities, it's like having a whole range of Mount Hoods to run up and explore...all through the foothills like the Flatirons to the fourteener's like Longs peak. Hiking, mountain biking, skiing, camping...all extremely popular weekend getaways all over (you can see from I-70 blocked Sunday nights with people coming back to work).

You can't really do the water sports outside of the resurviors, and the seafood is sometimes so-so...but the clean dry air is so nice, few bugs, and the cold dry is not so cold I could wear shorts in the winter unless it was snowing (even then the snow usually melts by lunch time). Take a look at some of the pictures to get an idea if you like it, Boulder is a good bit closer than Denver but you can still see a good bit. It does get really brown in the dead of winter and height of summer too, most of the rain/snow comes in the spring, so if you love the green it might wear on you.

Of course, if you listen to the environmentalist's Denver will be a beachfront city soon enough!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 08:14 AM
 
84 posts, read 182,727 times
Reputation: 22
Default Good post ACS Thanks

We look forward to Portland . My wife wants a place with NO WIND, not high u.v. as Phoenix, Atlanta, or S.D. Too many of the posters here bring up money! I say, forget about turning your whole life on money and jobs ! We have had enough of Chicago and have "my entitlement to live on". We WANT a place where there are NOT so many diverse people that we feel resentful or fearful to be around. Some may put me in the same boat as the Calif. "Miss USA girl", but so be it ! I believe in what's right , not politically correct.There "should be some dress codes" in public as some ARE offensive. I have a 10 yr old daughter and I would rather see her be something in this world than nose rings and in the street. I will reread your post about the beauty out there. We like walking in nature, and my wife likes misty weather as long as there is little wind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,697 posts, read 25,251,722 times
Reputation: 35669
Quote:
There "should be some dress codes" in public as some ARE offensive. I have a 10 yr old daughter and I would rather see her be something in this world than nose rings and in the street. I will reread your post about the beauty out there. We like walking in nature, and my wife likes misty weather as long as there is little wind.
You won't soon be forgetting about money and jobs if you don't have either when you move here. That misty weather and walking in nature come at a price whether people realize it or not. And your little girl will see many, many nose rings and wild dress. They are here in abundance. I don't know where you think this is but it isn't what you think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 01:33 PM
 
12 posts, read 28,417 times
Reputation: 33
"NO WIND"? sorry, we ain't the windy city but this is a coastal region so....wind happens.

as for dress codes, being fearful, and diversity, you'd best stay far, FAR away from downtown P-town!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,090 posts, read 11,171,488 times
Reputation: 4118
I like how people dress out here, it's pretty average...but the weirdos are pretty interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Still in Portland, Oregon, for some reason
887 posts, read 3,263,250 times
Reputation: 724
My mom grew up outside Boston and has lived in Portland since 1980. She still hates the winters and has never gotten used to them. I was born and raised in Portland to be honest with you, the winters don't bother me at all.

What I've noticed is that transplants almost, if not ever get used to the winters while the natives are more likely to not be bothered by it. I'm not trying to sound jaded or superior...I'm just calling it like I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You won't soon be forgetting about money and jobs if you don't have either when you move here. That misty weather and walking in nature come at a price whether people realize it or not. And your little girl will see many, many nose rings and wild dress. They are here in abundance. I don't know where you think this is but it isn't what you think.
Amen. If you don't want to expose your little girl to or have her be around these people, Portland is NOT the place for you. I've been around them all my life and I have no piercings or tatoos, nor do I wear the clothes they wear. Just because children see them does not necessarily mean they will dress like them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Pacific NW
6,413 posts, read 10,959,050 times
Reputation: 5833
The concept of a dress code is so opposite everything I feel like Portland is. It's not a place to be judging any book by its cover.

What a sad, sorry world we'd live in if we only had contact with people who were like us, or like we think they should be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2009, 09:52 PM
 
Location: New York
5 posts, read 10,443 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks for this great post. It will help me weigh pros and cons carefully before I make my move, hopefully in about 2 years time. I recently read that the unemployment issue was due in part to the influx of people into the city. I wonder, though, if those who manage to find jobs are able to hold on to them for a significant amount of time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:32 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top