U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:51 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,234,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanr View Post
Thanks for this great post. It will help me weigh pros and cons carefully before I make my move, hopefully in about 2 years time. I recently read that the unemployment issue was due in part to the influx of people into the city. I wonder, though, if those who manage to find jobs are able to hold on to them for a significant amount of time.
Very good question. I suppose some people are able to hold onto these jobs and live happily ever after. I have seen people move here for promised jobs only to find for one reason or another the job didn't work out leaving those people amongst the many unemployed desperately seeking work.

That's why I always suggest even if you have a firm offer of a good job or a transfer from a present one, be sure to have savings enough to fall back on for living expenses and to be able move to another city where the employment situation is better if necessary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 06:15 AM

7,375 posts, read 5,662,670 times
Minervah, look up the growth statistics on City Data. The population growth of Portland was 5.4% between 2000 and July 2008. That is not the annual growth rate but the total population growth for that period. Clearly there are more important reasons for the unemployment and weak economy.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:00 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,234,136 times
quote=jrkliny;12172483]Minervah, look up the growth statistics on City Data. The population growth of Portland was 5.4% between 2000 and July 2008. That is not the annual growth rate but the total population growth for that period. Clearly there are more important reasons for the unemployment and weak economy.[/quote]

I never said there weren't. It was not my intention to use my advice to explain the high unemployment rate. I was addressing suzanr's last sentence in her post where she asks "I wonder, though, if those who manage to find jobs are able to hold on to them for a significant amount of time."

Moving to any new city or town is a risk even if one has a job waiting. The job can go under or the person may find they don't like it. That is why I suggested she or anyone else who is moving for a job should have some reserve money to help them out while looking for another job. Since I have been living in Portland I have been laid off by four different companies due to cut backs or closure. This includes the one that moved me here from Chicago.

In my experience, though, the people I know who moved here but then had to move back or to another city for work didn't have jobs waiting for them when they came out here. They just moved in hopes of finding something. So of course it is better to have a job waiting for you because it increases your chances of being able to stay.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:15 PM

8 posts, read 22,065 times
Is it true that the public transportation is free?

Old 12-27-2009, 06:17 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,117,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofset View Post
Is it true that the public transportation is free?
No.
TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area

There is an area downtown that until Jan 3, 2010 which is fare-less mass transit. Parking problems downtown, lack there of.

Due to abuses, and complaints from taxpayers, the system will after Jan 3rd become fare-less only for Light Rail and the limited streetcar route in the Downtown area. Bus rides will not be free, but full fare.

For example; From the Convention Center it will be a free ride on the Light rail system to the high end restaurants and Hotels Downtown. Amtrak station to Downtown high-end shopping will be free. And I think from Portland State University to the Main Public Library or on to Powell's book store will also be free.

Think of it this way: city fathers would rather visitors spend their time and money in Restaurants and such than on fighting traffic and parking their rental cars. Out of town sports fans will be able to ride free from hotels in downtown to NBA basketball Trailblazer's games and back to hotel free and spend their money on drinks in the hotel bar where they can recap the game over and over.... (and no, or at least fewer, DUI for out of town sports fans.)

The Light Rail from Portland's airport to downtown Hotels will still cost $2.30 one way, or $4.75 for all day pass all buss and rail rides.

Phil

Old 12-28-2009, 04:52 PM

172 posts, read 487,695 times
The reason for perpetual high unemployment has to do in large part with the state's tax policies and lack of support for business growth. There is a mentality ingrained in many Portlanders about evil Corporate America and and the belief that everyone should give their fair share (i.e. keep raising taxes on individuals and businesses alike). The state is facing a massive budgetary short-fall. Their response is to again raise taxes on businesses which will lead to higher unemployment.

There is a myth that is perpetuated that the reason for high unemployment is due to all these people moving to Oregon for the lifestyle. The reality is that Oregon's population has only grown about 10.8% from 2000 to 2008, which is minimal - this rate is essentially the birth rate increase so on a net basis people are NOT moving to Oregon - people moving in and people leaving are a wash. Unfortunately the state budget from 2000 to 2008 has grown over 65%, from $30 billion to over $48 billion. This is way out of line from the population growth and without adding jobs at a similar rate (which generate income tax revenue from the workers) or cutting services you wind up with a massive short-fall. This type of "progressive" thinking is one of my biggest problems with the state.

I am really struggling with thought of living long-term in a state that even in the good times will likely have unemployment rate at 8% or higher and is not interested in doing anything to attract more companies and jobs to the state. Many people love to promote "buy local". That is great but there are only so many people that can own a coffee shop, thrift store or brewery and be succesful when 10% of the population aren't working and cannot afford to buy your product.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:54 PM

151 posts, read 201,692 times
"I am really struggling with thought of living long-term in a state that even in the good times will likely have unemployment rate at 8% or higher"

That's probably about right. The fact is that Portland doesn't have big industries. In general, people are here because they want to live here, not because of a job. It isn't the place for highly ambitious people.

I've heard this described as a place where you need a PhD to get a Masters job, a college degree to get a highschool degree job, and so on. That seems about right to me.

I share your concern with rising taxes not because I'm all that conservative, but because I haven't seen the returns on those higher taxes. Schools are perpetually in "crisis" here, both in funding and quality. I'm not sure what the state has spent all that extra money on since 2000.

I'm torn about eventually having to leave. I was born in Oregon and it's in my blood, but I see that the libertarian spirit that was here in my youth, has given way to progressivism, which seems to quickly be giving way to a general naivete about how the real world works.

I see our mayor, who hasn't held a private-sector job since youth, surrounded by a bunch of twenty-year-old urban planners, trying to sell a new streetcar line as economic development. There is so much to love here, but sometimes surveying Portland, I wonder where all the adults have gone.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,755 times
Someone mentioned that there seems to be a lot of angry, pretentious people in Portland. It seems to me there is a greater amount of educated people in the city with a low tolerance for ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland