Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:52 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,503 times

Advertisements

Just for fun - assuming you would ever want to live in a small town - if you were to pick one of these towns to live in (and assuming employment was not a factor), which would it be and why? All of these towns are small (some moreso than others), and I think they all have some similarities - a certain rugged Pacific NW feel.

Cascade Locks, OR
Sandy, OR
Boring, OR
St. Helens, OR
Scappoose, OR
Camas, WA
Washougal, WA
Stevenson, WA
Brightwood/Welches/Wemme/Zigzag, OR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times

They're on the mountain. Lots of winter snow and there're still a few of the old-timers around, those whose families have been on the Mountain for generations. I like that kind of history even though it's getting awfully crowded up there - but then what resort-type area isn't?

I am a big fan of woods, snow and cold weather!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,129 times
St. Helens. I find it charming, there a reasonably priced houses in the area, Portland is easily accessible, and it's that much closer to the coast than Portland is. (I love the mountains, but I love the coast even more.)

Old 09-23-2009, 06:48 PM

145 posts, read 687,507 times
wheres vancouver? its bigger then all of these i choose vancouver idc if its not on the list

Old 09-23-2009, 06:54 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboo<3seattle<3 View Post
wheres vancouver? its bigger then all of these i choose vancouver idc if its not on the list
To each his own ~

Old 09-23-2009, 06:55 PM

LOL Benny - I was going for very small and rugged - neither of which is Vancouver

Old 09-23-2009, 08:34 PM

716 posts, read 2,816,516 times
Very interesting question.

"Rugged River Towns" in that order:
Stevenson, WA
Cascade Locks, OR
St. Helens, OR

No these are just Portland suburbs in varying degrees:
Scappoose, OR
Sandy, OR
Boring, OR
Camas, WA
Washougal, WA

Mountains but more touristy then rugged:

I'd also throw Clatskanie and Vernonia into the mix and maybe even Banks. I might even say that Vernonia has the mix of mountain, river, rugged and close to Portland all in one.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:50 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Both Stevenson and Cascade Locks are very nice, but I wouldn't call them "rugged"..There are always tons of tourists when I visit either of them. That being said, of all the places on the list I'd pick Stevenson..It's got some decent restaurants, close to great hiking and kitesurfing and kayaking in the Gorge(and not too far to Mt Hood or Mt Adams) and it just feels laid back and friendly to me.

The Mt Hood towns(Brightwood, Zigzag, etc), I've always liked too--especially the areas up towards Lolo Pass road.

What about Estacada? It's at the outer edges of Portlandia, but it's a fairly rugged river town--although its got some weirder residents (and businesses) as well. The old Safari Club has changed hands, but its still got its taxidermed wildlife apparently.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 PM

858 posts, read 1,500,966 times
Why is Hood River not on that list? I personally think Hood River trumps all those listed. I am a little biased, though.. I grew up there.

Oh and Cascade Locks is a ****-hole.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:11 PM

Clatskanie and Vernonia - forgot about them! Haven't been to either of them in eons. Tell me more about Vernonia!!!

Estacada... yah... um, the Safari Club... I forgot all about that place. Scary. Very Scary.

I didn't put Hood River on the list because I knew everyone would pick it! I am already fairly familiar with it - so I thought maybe I could get some input on some other towns in the area that I don't know as much about. So yes, I agree - Hood River is a very nice town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland