Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:28 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times

Advertisements

Tonight, since fall equinox has passed, I noticed a sharp decline in the amount of daylight in Portland since I moved here last summer.

Looked up Portland, and noticed Portland is further North than Minneapolis. So I Googled for daylight hours in Portland during December. I found the following site:
Sunrise and Sunset Calculator

Anyway, Portland has about 30 minutes per day less daylight during December than Chicago.

Portland has about 45 minutes per day less daylight during December than New York City.

1 hour, 20 minutes or so per day less than Atlanta, GA

1 hour 30 minutes or so per day less than San Diego.

This of course does not include or consider the effects of overcast sky. This is just the sun only making it about 21 degrees above the horizon. Sun Rise about 7:50 am and setting about 4:30 pm or so.

Enjoy September while you can.

Phil

Old 09-23-2009, 10:25 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Tonight, since fall equinox has passed, I noticed a sharp decline in the amount of daylight in Portland since I moved here last summer.

Looked up Portland, and noticed Portland is further North than Minneapolis. So I Googled for daylight hours in Portland during December. I found the following site:
Sunrise and Sunset Calculator

Anyway, Portland has about 30 minutes per day less daylight during December than Chicago.

Portland has about 45 minutes per day less daylight during December than New York City.

1 hour, 20 minutes or so per day less than Atlanta, GA

1 hour 30 minutes or so per day less than San Diego.

This of course does not include or consider the effects of overcast sky. This is just the sun only making it about 21 degrees above the horizon. Sun Rise about 7:50 am and setting about 4:30 pm or so.

Enjoy September while you can.

Phil
I guess I'm missing the point..........

Old 09-24-2009, 09:05 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
I think he is trying to warn us that winter is coming and to get ready for 6 months of gloomy, cloudy, damp, wet, rainy days (with occasional sunbreaks, of course!).

(But we all know that's a big myth started by people that want to scare other people away from moving to Portland!)

Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
I'd say the OP is from somewhere far to the south where the seasonal day length change isn't quite so obvious - it's always amusing to me that people are so stunned by the concept of length of day changes. Doesn't anyone study geography anymore?

Yes, we're also on the same latitude as the most productive vineyard areas of France, too.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Yes, we're also on the same latitude as the most productive vineyard areas of France, too.
Weren't those some smart Californians who thought the Willamette Valley would be the perfect location for vineyards? Or at least they were smart to take advantage of it.

phil...It's only going to get darker and rain-ier (sp). Honest. But most of us who stay here like it like that!

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 09-24-2009 at 10:19 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,129 times
Phil, the first two years after I moved here, I was bothered by the short days and long nights of winter. It bothered me more than the cloudcover and rain. By the third winter, though, I was fine, and winter here is just "normal" to me now.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
I guess I just don't sweat the small stuff or the things I can't control. I go with the flow. I moved to the area last November and supposedly the area had the worst winter in many years. I didn't flinch........kept right on ticking. It didn't bother me in the least and I enjoyed every minute of it. But then I enjoy every day here whether it's sunny,rainy,cludy,hot or cold.
I prefer the cloudy and cold and the rain doesn't bother me. The sunny days are a tad annoying but I make the most of each day.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:42 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
I love the seasonal changes in the fall and winter, especially the rain (can't wait for fog either).

My favorite thing is to watch the rain out my office window while eating breakfast and coffee before the day starts.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:59 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Interesting! Although quite amusing also.

I posted a piece of trivia factoid. No other motive except I couldn't find another tread on daylight hours for Portland on this forum, and I wanted to post the information.

However, by my act of just posting a trivia factoid posting, other forum members have assigned to me all kinds of where I am from and so forth. Or, I am trying to scare away other migrants to Portland.

Sorry, just trying to post a small factoid. No Point, No opinion, No agenda, Not complaining about anything, and the post had nothing to do about TriMet either. Just the facts, Ma'am.

If one wanted to, one could also compare days per year of overcast, partial cloudy and full sun of Portland vs., oh say, Cleveland, Buffalo NY, Boston, or Tampa Bay.

I sometimes mis-read a poster's intended post also, so I do understand, and am amused by, the attempts to figure out why I made my original post. I am just laid back and enjoying the fall weather.

Phil

Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
One thing about the darkness and rain of Portland in the winter..I get a lot more reading, work(inside) and studying done. In summer time and early fall when the weather is warm and clear, I'm outside doing a lot of activities--and every weekend there are multiple social events and festivals to choose from. By the time things start getting really dark around the time of Halloween, its kind of nice to have the pace of life slow down a little. In a way I feel more rested in the winter and its easier to sleep in on weekends too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: