Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:31 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times

Advertisements

The Pearl is a LOT better than Lake Oswego and you may well find a squad of your co-workers nearby. If you had your family in tow I wouldn't recommend either (commute for LO, family size housing in the Pearl).

Been there, done that at NIKE. They off-loaded a lot of the workforce a couple months ago but odds are the workload did not diminish. Your hours will be long. You are probably wise to leave the family behind until you negotiate a reasonable work-life balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 03:14 PM

7 posts, read 22,853 times
Two more options just came open. Both are located in the Pearl District but are much smaller 2 bedroom units. One is the Kearney and the other is the Burlington Tower. Thoughts?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:21 PM

My Mother lived in the Kearney apartments probably 10 years ago. It isn't in the Pearl, it is in NW - another popular neighborhood. It is a real neighborhood where it isn't uncommon that a resident had been there for two generations. (Contrast with the Pearl which is a creature of urban planners.) The only reason she moved was to move to a retirement residence (in NW) although she did complain about the SYSCO delivery truck at early hours. Very convenient but the parking places are tight and street parking a challenge. Just off NW 23rd, a favorite small retail and restaurant street. Convenient to the Street Car. Quickest driving route to NIKE Campus: one block to Lovejoy, drive west on Lovejoy which becomes Cornell Road in about 4 blocks, stay on Corneel road over the hill, left off Cornell Road at Murray, south on Murray to the campus. It used to take me 25 minutes from my former home at 30th & Cornell Road.

I don't know the Burlington Tower, although my brother lived within a block in another building. There is monthly parking available under the 'Lovejoy Ramp' and a parking structure (where monthly parking MAY be available) within 2 blocks. A few blocks from the MAX extension to the train station. The route from there to NIKE Campus involves Hgy 26, which can be competitive. You could just head west on Lovejoy (see above) but they are local streets.

Either would work. I would opt for as large an apartment that is in your budget, your family may want to visit.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 10-01-2009 at 09:34 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 12:29 PM

There is a Kearney Plaza in the Pearl. You may have been talking about this building: http://www.kearneyplaza.com/

Not far from the Burlington Tower.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
I'd check them out for you but I'm in Toronto for a couple of weeks. Got a 5 month old grandson that needs cuddling!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:46 PM

13 posts, read 49,648 times
Default Maybe Check out NW 23rd Neighborhood instead of the Pearl

[SIZE=2]Instead of the Pearl, check out Portland's NW 23rd Avenue known variously as Nob Hill, the Alphabet District. Very nice homes, decent commute for you and more of a bustling and established neighborhood. If not, I'd choose the Pearl over Lake Oswego, just personal taste plus the desire to live in more walkable areas.
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland