Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:44 AM

89 posts, read 327,511 times

Advertisements

Portland Oregon Sucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:36 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,679 times
Portland is emphatically not for everyone, at every time in their lives.

Some people love the city at one time in their lives, and still leave a few years later.

And a trendy place for one generation, may not be of any use to the next cultural movement.

Let the writer of that link have his opinion, but take it as just his opinion, not anything more important than that. He made the arguments as holding up Portland as a perfect place, it ain't. The question is, for each point he made, what other city would be, overall, better than Portland, overall. Yes, specific issues will be glaringly bad here in Portland, but is there a city that does not have glaringly bad points? I don't know of any.

Phil

Old 10-06-2009, 10:59 AM

588 posts, read 2,828,503 times
I LOVE these kinds of articles. They help to scare off additional people from moving here. Portland is big enough already; there is no reason it needs to turn into Seattle.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:42 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,918,957 times
That was a good laugh. Traffic at 2:00 AM? LOL

And the best was when he complained that he had to drive 45 minutes for good recreation. What other city in the country is as close to recreation as Portland? None. Well, Seattle maybe.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:57 AM

666 posts, read 1,843,414 times
It also stated:

And while the summers can be dry and sunny, the sky lacks any real blue to it, instead being a constant shade of grey even on the nicest summer day. And it's not just me that noticed it, but a friend who moved from Montana said the exact same thing.

I've seen a lot of blue in the sky this summer. Maybe they were looking at the sky through a haze of "laid back" smoke.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:22 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,675 times
Some points are blatantly false (see above posts) while some - such as the slow drivers - are right on the mark.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:38 PM

341 posts, read 641,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Some points are blatantly false (see above posts) while some - such as the slow drivers - are right on the mark.
I spent vacations in Oregon (on the coast) and the first "surprise" was how drivers are polite. IMO it is the best "driving culture" in the USA for sure.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:00 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
It also stated:

And while the summers can be dry and sunny, the sky lacks any real blue to it, instead being a constant shade of grey even on the nicest summer day. And it's not just me that noticed it, but a friend who moved from Montana said the exact same thing.

I've seen a lot of blue in the sky this summer. Maybe they were looking at the sky through a haze of "laid back" smoke.
LOL @ the "laid back smoke" comment.
The sky here is a beautiful,clear blue and was most of the summer. A bit too sunshine for my taste; but I love the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
maybe people don't always need to rush,rush,rush through life?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
I spent vacations in Oregon (on the coast) and the first "surprise" was how drivers are polite. IMO it is the best "driving culture" in the USA for sure.
I agree and I've been all over the U.S.
The drivers in this area seem very courteous. If I'm in such a hurry that I require rushing through traffic it will be because I'm in an ambulance

Old 10-06-2009, 03:46 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,380,909 times
"Where other cities will get their precipitaion in large bursts and have relatively nice weather the rest of the time, Portland is simply dreary the majority of the time."

beautiful blue sunny Autumn day in the Portland region as I write this, but.....

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I LOVE dreary grey days. I understand many don't but it's hilarious when people make shockingly obvious comments about Pacific Northwest weather.

It rains! It drizzles! It's grey!!!

Oh snap!! Really?!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
That link is really amusing and really silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland