Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times

Advertisements

And if you can give specific streets/intersections as if you were drawing circles on a map for an idiot, that would be great . You don't have to though. And I know many threads have been made on this, but figure I will get a better response by creating a new one.

I've been checking out this site: Portland Oregon Guide |Portland Neighborhoods Guide

And it is great. Very informative. Guess I wanted personal opinion though.

The wife and I are strongly considering a move to Portland sometime in the early half of 2011 (doing early research). We will be visiting in early 2010 and will get around alot ... but start-off opinions never hurt.

Description: We are in our late 20's. If you have ever been to Saint Louis, we are the personality types that would live off a main strip in "The Loop"/"Central West End"/"Tower Grove"/"South Grand"/etc. neighborhoods. Guess to sum us up better (even though I hate generalizing), we are "Indie" I suppose? We like living within walking distance to bars that are down to earth, but cool (if that makes sense). Also would want to be very near a MAX stop. The wife is very artsy and works normal jobs. I work a technical job for a large company, but really want to get back into teaching middle school or high school (or even work a normal job if need be). We want to live in an urban area, but also want to be moderately safe. We can pay a decent rent, but do not want to be in a too-pretentious area. Slightly pretentious is okay I guess , but we would like to live around younger social people who most would classify as bohemian in nature. The busier the street with bars/shops/etc. the better.

Feel dumb typing all that, but if you have a good specific location for us to check out while visiting - it would be much appreciated.

Edit: And somewhere that is not too long of a MAX ride to Trailblazer games.

Last edited by Azalea City Man; 10-12-2009 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 01:20 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Hawthorne/Belmont District, except you're not close to Max. Lots of busses though. Hollywood District might be good, or if you can afford it, Pearl but then you might be too Pretentious.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:31 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
I think you should be made aware that the MAX light rail system is more intended for people on the outer edges of Portland to get quickly to downtown without driving their cars. Geography plays havoc with lack of parking spaces downtown. However, the Light rail system has few stops in between outer and business districts.

Also, there are several good places for you to consider, but I am going to suggest looking in the North-West Neighborhood boarding on Hillside Neighborhood; around NW 25th (+/1 a few streets) from NW Lovejoy to maybe NW Thurman. Bus line 15. I think a few graphic artist live in that district. Note this area is not as expensive as Goose Hollow or Nob Hill, but it is pricey compared to other places for what you get. It is not as "Trendy" as the Pearl so not as many 'hipster' youth. However, from what I have been told, those who live there tend to stay. Low apartment turn-over. Hard to find one available advertised anywhere.

Also do a Google for a store "Trader Joe's" in the Northwest, Glisan street, I think. Also a great place for an Artist.

Aside: neither place is 'flat', you are on the side of a large hill. Up and down hill walking. Very narrow streets and roads, even by Portland's less than generous standards.

Phil

Old 10-14-2009, 09:44 AM
h8n

64 posts, read 208,759 times
I'd say Hollywood (look on the NE where Hollywood meets Broadway). It's near the max, has a cool attitude, & the yuppies have not discovered it / begun their takeover. Hawthorne is great for what you describe but it is not near the max & those who live in Pearl are now moving in.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:01 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Aside: neither place is 'flat', you are on the side of a large hill. Up and down hill walking.
In other words, "perfect" .

Thanks for the great suggestions so far everyone. I do want to be near a MAX train stop, but guess I should see what the system is actually like before I assume that it is a "must". I'm not opposed to buses, but I know I have enjoyed here just walking a half-mile to the train.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
h8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Also, there are several good places for you to consider, but I am going to suggest looking in the North-West Neighborhood boarding on Hillside Neighborhood; around NW 25th (+/1 a few streets) from NW Lovejoy to maybe NW Thurman. Bus line 15. I think a few graphic artist live in that district. Note this area is not as expensive as Goose Hollow or Nob Hill, but it is pricey compared to other places for what you get. It is not as "Trendy" as the Pearl so not as many 'hipster' youth. However, from what I have been told, those who live there tend to stay. Low apartment turn-over. Hard to find one available advertised anywhere.
Phil
Just my opinion here, but I must strongly disagree. I moved to Portland from Houston, TX. In Houston, you had the Westheimer / Montrose area which was the artist / gay mecca. Around 10 yrs ago, the yuppies discovered how cool it was & began their migration. Today little is left that made it such a cool place. It is overpriced condos. They even got rid of the art festival because they didn't like living in what they envied.

21st / 23rd in Portland reminds me of much the same. You walk down the street & you have a large number of yuppies drinking their Starbucks (sad day when Coffee People closed the door) walking their chihuahua with their pink bag trying to look like Paris Hilton. This is not hip or alternative. Now, you do still have some artists in the area but overall I feel the great vibe of the NW is gone & turned into yuppieville.

as said... just my personal opinion.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:02 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
h8n:

You made some good points.

However, the OP used the word "Indie" to describe themselves. That and 20 somethings, plus artistic bent, lead me to believe they would fit into either Hawthorne or NW near NW 23rd or 25th. Exactly as you described the way it is now. But overall, for any couple wanting to start a family, Yes, NE Broadway just east of Hollywood you are so right on the money, IMHO.

I could be wrong, most likely I am too, but I would have pegged the area of NE Braodway, NE 42nd, and NE Sandy BLVD as somewhat post-Indie age group. Kinda of where those who outgrow the Indie music move to. You know, post "Peter Pan the the Lost Boys" crowd. But I could be wrong.

Phil

Old 10-14-2009, 04:35 PM
h8n

Great points... NE does tend to be more houses vs apartments. Suppose I am older than I thought

Old 10-14-2009, 06:58 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Maybe St. John's or Linnton area? Linnton is along old highway 30, headed toward Astoria. Some places have great views of the Columbia River. Next big "in" neighborhood if my friends are to be believed .

This looks like a pretty good site. I just found it so haven't checked through it much. It may be worth taking a look at ~
Portland Visitors & Tourist Information - Travel Portland

Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM

120 posts, read 279,254 times
A couple of points

1) NW 21st/NW 23rd is NOT "Indie" or "hipster", it is as yuppie as you can get. The same is true for the Pearl which is mostly youngish corporate types and wealthy retirees who sold their house in Lake Oswego after the kids went off to college. Nothing wrong with either neighborhood or any of the above mentioned groups of people, but I get annoyed when people seriously mischaracterized things like this.

2) I live in the Hollywood neighborhood. It is pretty convenient to MAX. It's not quite indie/bohemian, but it's a great area, and I think the OPs would feel pretty comfortable here IF they could afford it - it's mostly houses, some condos and not inexpensive. It's got a great farmer's market, a fair number of semi-hip if not quite indie/boho 30-something couples with kids, old timers who've lived here a long time ago, a fairly large lesbian presence. I guess I'd sum it thus - if you live here, you probably voted for Obama (and Kerry before that and Gore before that), drive a Volvo or Subaru, listen to NPR, drink expensive coffee, consider yourself outdoorsy, are well-educated, eat organic food...I think you get the picture.

3) In my opinion, the most "indie/bohemian" areas in Portland currently are Alberta Street and the N. Mississippi area. Alberta is not close to MAX, but N. Mississippi isn't terribly far from the Yellow Line. I'd advise the OPs to check that area out.

4) Southeast Portland would also be a good fit - I'd say roughly anything between the river, Powell, Burnside and the SE 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland