Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times

Advertisements

'Youth Magnet' Cities Hit Midlife Crisis - WSJ.com

Just wondering how to true to life this article is....Was thinking about relocating from Charlotte? From this looks of this article..maybe I should pick elsewhere....Feel free to "weigh in"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 01:04 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
'Youth Magnet' Cities Hit Midlife Crisis - WSJ.com

Just wondering how to true to life this article is....Was thinking about relocating from Charlotte? From this looks of this article..maybe I should pick elsewhere....Feel free to "weigh in"
It's very true. People flock here because it's a fabulous place to live, but don't even think about it unless you already have a job lined up.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:29 PM
h8n

64 posts, read 208,799 times
Great Read & very true.

I work in IT & have a good amount of experience under my belt. I moved to Austin, TX 4 yrs ago from Portland. Last year I decided I really prefer Portland & began looking for a job in the area. I got plenty of calls due to my experience, but they are all wanting to pay me 1/2 of what I can make in Austin. The industry in the area knows they can pay significantly less because of the number of unemployed.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8n View Post
Great Read & very true.

I work in IT & have a good amount of experience under my belt. I moved to Austin, TX 4 yrs ago from Portland. Last year I decided I really prefer Portland & began looking for a job in the area. I got plenty of calls due to my experience, but they are all wanting to pay me 1/2 of what I can make in Austin. The industry in the area knows they can pay significantly less because of the number of unemployed.
This is true of many industries in Portland. I think it always has been. But the cost of living is not in line with the low salaries.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:32 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times
From the WSJ's article:
Quote:
Yet, cities like Portland, along with Austin, Texas, Seattle and others, continue to be draws for the young, educated workers that communities and employers covet. What these cities share is a hard-to-quantify blend of climate, natural beauty, universities and -- more than anything else -- a reputation as a cool place to live. For now, an excess of young workers is adding to the ranks of the unemployed. But holding on to these people through the downturn will help cities turn around once the economy recovers.
There will always be young people more interested in ideals than finances.

Thank God.

Last edited by brubaker; 10-14-2009 at 06:52 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 07:48 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
This article has been posted before in this forum. It's completely true.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times
The article's a bit misleading in that it lists the cities by annual net migration of these young professionals as opposed to what % of the current population they make up. That would be a more accurate list I think as some cites just draw a lot of people (period) and 1,000 young people wouldn't be anything significant.

EDIT:
I mean c'mon, San Antonio is a Youth Magnet??

As far as I can tell, the main point of the article is that young people move to Portland disproportionately and that Portland has high unemployment.

Is that news to anyone? Or am I missing something?

Last edited by brubaker; 10-14-2009 at 11:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: