Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
PHIL - "One of the most liberal cities in USA. It could be a mild cultural shock to many who come from other parts of USA." In your experience do you really find this to be the case? Maybe I've been here so long that I don't even notice it any more. I've never lived in the midwest, so I can't gauge it by that.
In the Mid-West there are two very significantly liberal small to medium cities which are "liberal": Madison, Wisconsin, and Ann Arbor, Michigan. Minneapolis and it's neighbor St Paul in Minnesota have liberal leanings but both are more associated with traditional "populism' and a wing of the Democratic party that was once lead by Hubert Humphrey (Trivia points just to show your age: Do you remember Senator H.H.H. --I'll take Humphrey Politics for 1000, Alex: The answer is "Edmund Muskie. 1968")

All three communities are associated with a Big Ten NCAA conference major University (University of Wisconsin, University of Michigan, and University of Minnesota) The other cities that host the universities of the Big Ten conference are not associated as being as leftist as the three I mentioned. Notably, Columbus, Ohio is more liberal than many communities of Ohio, but still Columbus is considered just plain Democratic, not leftist liberal.

To be honest, my 1st impression of Portland was an overgrown version of Madison. My 1st walk down Hawthorne street, I had déjà vu flash backs of the 10 years or so I lived in Madison back in the late 1960's and most of the 1970's.

Aside: there is difference between Liberal Democrat and Labor Union Democrat. Many cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and such are emphatically Labor Union Democratic metro areas, but are NOT, repeat NOT liberal democrat. Whole 'nother beast. Long thread in itself.

But it is way more that just my memory of my youth. There is the number of bicycles on the roads (trust me, in the suburb of Detroit I just came from, bicyclist had glass beer bottles thrown at them from passing pickup trucks. You just didn't ride a bicycle except on path in a city park or such.) And the list goes on and on starting with race, and racial divides, to local politics, the rule of the car and urban sprawl. vast shopping malls with literally acres of open spaces that had to be heated or air-conditioned. (Way beyond Clackamus Town Center; think about maybe twice the open inside space to be air-conditioned and what that energy costs is to the over all environment.)

I am not familiar with politics on the West coast. I know Berkeley CA is very liberal, and SF is reputed to be also. But the rest of the SF Bay area I am not familiar with. Ditto, Seattle, which could be a Union Democratic town as far as I know.

Sorry, I don't know if I responded to your specific question. Yes, as far as I know, Portland city is very liberal, when compared to other cities I have known. No, it may not be as liberal as specific communities on the Left Coast, but for me it is nice and refreshing to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
Phil-- Just FYI... That is the sort of "liberal" that you will find dominating throughout the West Coast, from Santa Monica to San Francisco, from Mt. Shasta City to Arcata, from Ashland to Port Townsend, from Eugene to Bellingham, Seattle, Santa Cruz, Berkeley, Olympia, and Portland...

However, the bohemian aspect and crazy goings-on of Portland is more limited in its reach on the West Coast. Mostly just to the mentioned Oregon cities, "Upstate" (Far Northern) California, and perhaps Seattle and Olympia to an extent. They may be as or more leftist in the Bay Area or Seattle, but they're not so... Weird? Yes, weird is probably the word I'm looking for. It's normal to me, and I enjoy it. But it gets old. I thankfully don't see the West getting any less liberal, but I'm hoping Portland will grow up someday.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
I agree, Portland is "different" liberal than other places I have lived. There are not the labor, race, and crime issues here that other major cities are facing. Really its quite wonderful to live in a place where people have time to worry about things like bike lanes and the environmental hazards of dish soap. Sometimes for us non-natives though it can be a little odd...

Old 12-14-2009, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 11,616 times
Default Looking in Portland, will commute to Vancouver

Help! We may be moving to the Portland area early next year and have been doing a lot of research.

Is the commute any easier if my husband is going from Portland neighborhood just across the river to Vancouver across the 5? We'd like to live in Portland itself, suggestions of neighborhoods would be welcome. Want good walkability to restaurants/shops, no kids so schools not important, want a house with yard for dogs so condos are not good. So far looking at Alameda/Wilshire/Rose City Park and the Reed area based on houses we have found.

Any info appreciated!

Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonic_Writes View Post
Is the commute any easier if my husband is going from Portland neighborhood just across the river to Vancouver across the 5?

The Portland/Vancouver commute is the worst in the entire area. I-5 is always a parking lot during rush hour.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:37 PM

Wow - the commute is worse living in Portland and working in Vancouver? That is not what I expected. Can anyone give me an idea of the typical commute time from downtown Portland to Just across the river in Vancouver? I'm wondering (hoping) your idea of a bad commute is not the same as mine into LA.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:03 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonic_Writes View Post
Wow - the commute is worse living in Portland and working in Vancouver? That is not what I expected. Can anyone give me an idea of the typical commute time from downtown Portland to Just across the river in Vancouver? I'm wondering (hoping) your idea of a bad commute is not the same as mine into LA.
The commute is worst going Vanc. to Port in the morning and returning in the evening.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:44 PM

Whew- thank you. I still don't really have any idea what that means compared to our typical commute now, but at least I'm not completely insane. My morning drive is 17 miles and it takes 30-40 min! My husband is arriving Wed morning just in time to experience what the commute will be like as he goes to an interview. Crossing fingers...

Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,796 times
With 2 small children I assume you would need 3 bdrm/2bth... Staying under $450K still opens up a lot of good neighborhoods with great schools. Most locals would not recommend anything E of 205, but there are some great homes/neighborhoods that offer large lots (15k sq ft- 1/2 acre) with newer construction in a somewhat rural setting.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:01 PM

11 posts, read 37,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomul View Post
Good to great schools
Lake Oswego has the top rated school district in the state. All 13 schools were rated 'exceptional' by the state of Oregon. No school district in Oregon is as consistently good as the Lake Oswego School District. Parents in LO raise around 2 million dollars each year to make their schools the best in the state.

Quote:
Good ammenities (restaurants, shopping etc)
Lake Oswego has a fairly new, upscale downtown area full of restaurants and shops.

Not to mention, Lake Oswego is VERY close to Bridgeport Village (one of the best places to shop/dine in Oregon).

Quote:
Low crime rate
Look at the Lake Oswego police blotter to see how much crime happens in Lake Oswego.

Quote:
We do not need to be in the City just close enough to an airport that flies to CA.
LO is very close to the airport. A half hour, 45 minutes tops. Just don't go during rush hour!

Quote:
LUSH greenery
To cut down a tree in Lake Oswego requires permit after permit. LO takes pride in its landscaped city.

The only downside is that homes in Lake Oswego are probably the most expensive in the state. I would NOT recommend looking for a house on the lake or in many of the upscale neighborhoods throughout Lake Oswego. Those houses range from 1 million to 8 million dollars. Your best bet would be to look for a ranch style house in the Lake Grove or River Grove areas of Lake Oswego. But even those smaller, ranch homes go for 400 to 600K in Lake Oswego. Location is everything!

West Linn is a close second...but they don't have a downtown area and their school district is NOT as highly rated as the Lake Oswego School District. But houses are cheaper in West Linn, so you could probably afford a bigger, nicer house there.

Last edited by JS00; 12-19-2009 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland