Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:30 PM

11 posts, read 81,666 times

Advertisements

Visited for the first time in June, and really liked the city. Spent the better part of 4 days exploring, and enjoyed the accessibility and affability.

I grew up on a farm in WI, lived in NYC, and am now in Chicago, so I've seen cities across the board, and Portland really impressed me. Granted, I realize visiting in June means seeing Portland weather at it's best . . .

My family and I are now considering a move to Portland (job offer), and I got on this board to get some impressions of what people really think. You're scaring me!

Questions:

How bad -- truly -- is the rain?

How cold does it get in the winter?

How bad is the homeless situation?

How bad is the congestion -- (in Chicago's rush hour, it can easily take over an hour to go 13 miles . . .)

Anything else I need to be scared about?

Just looking for a friendly, outdoorsy place to raise our kids . . .

HELP, PLEASE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 05:37 PM

642 posts, read 3,064,593 times
I think the only thing that you should be wary of and this is only because some people don't tolerate it well others it either doesn't bother them or they love it--that is the gray skies and lack of sun for a significant portion of the year and the rain. All the rest is not a worry.

Traffic is always bad in our minds where we live and yes Portland is a city so you will run into traffic. I have never lived in any city that doesn't have traffic issues. It is not that big of a deal and neither is the homeless or anything else you mentioned. It sounds like your are looking for exactly what the area offers: friendly, outdoorsy place to raise our kids . . .

No worries. Just like any city find the right neighborhoods. I think you will love it if you can give sun up from Oct-May (maybe early maybe later) depends. I personally loved the rain when I lived there and I miss the gray. I say get excited. It will be a neat place to move to and to explore and I there will be plenty of stuff for the kids.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:21 PM

12 posts, read 95,537 times
Portland, as you found out, is beautiful, clean, cultural, and thriving. Anywhere you live is going to have it's drawbacks. Portland and the surrounding `burbs is wonderful. You could do a heck of a lot worse. =]

Old 11-02-2006, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 23,224 times
Default re: Is Portland really that bad?

We moved here from sunny calif in the early 70's. Found no one comes outside and very few BBQ friendly ppl. We've lived in 3 communities, still very few outside friendly. We stay because our kids raised and live here. If you think bad traffic, police shootings, car prowlers/thiefs, crooked politicians, way crowded schools, politicians living the good life and crying "we need more money", long winter rains, short gardening seasons will scare you. You won't be alone, but there doesn't seem to be any near-by planets to go to. Sandcandle

Old 11-03-2006, 01:43 PM

Given the choice, I would never ever live anyplace but Oregon, specifically the Portland and outer `burbs areas. I'll be home again within a year. Washington state sucks. =/

Old 11-03-2006, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 46,675 times
Default Why?

Where do you live in Washington State? And, why does it suck?

Old 11-03-2006, 02:38 PM

I live in Monroe, about 25 miles SE of Seattle.

Why it sucks is that it's just not where my heart is. Other than that,

* The government up here uses our tax money so poorly. They're really pretty clueless.

* Back home, light rail has been around for many years. They can't even get it together up here.

* The streets are dirty, unlike Portland's. They don't seem to take a lot of pride in their state.

Those are the main reasons I'd rather be home in Oregon.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:45 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,725,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertie View Post
How bad -- truly -- is the rain?

How cold does it get in the winter?

How bad is the homeless situation?

How bad is the congestion -- (in Chicago's rush hour, it can easily take over an hour to go 13 miles . . .)

Anything else I need to be scared about?

Just looking for a friendly, outdoorsy place to raise our kids . . .

HELP, PLEASE!
I live in Portland... close in SE... Westmoreland/ Sellwood neighborhood. Here's answers to your questions:

rain: it usually starts to rain around late October and stops sometime in June. So it is mostly gray for those months. HOWEVER, on the occassional sunny day that we get in those months EVERYONE is outside to celebrate the sun. The rain is usually a mist which means you can still get out and walk the dog etc. You get use to rainhead. My kids play in the rain in the winter. You just have to deal with muddy clothing. The summers are the bes in the country. Usually in the 70s to 80s (little humidity as the rain stops completely in June) and we have an occassional day of 90s. You can live outside all summer.... it's perfect!

cold: the inversion of the clouds in the winter actually keeps it pretty mild here. Normally in the 40s to 50s. Occasionally we get a cold snap or freeze. Doesn't last. There is snow up at Mt. Hood (1 hr from Portland), but rarely down here in Portland.

Homelessness: yes we have homeless people. I think all urban cities today do, sad, but true. However, I don't think it's any worse than any other city of similar size/ density.

Congestion: depends on the commute and if there is an accident. My husbands works near home so his commute is 15 mins. We live in close in SE and I use to work in Hillsboro (burb). My commute was 15 miles. On a good day it would take 30 mins on a bad day it would take an hour. Just depended on the time and if there was an accident. I personally think traffic is worse in the suburbs than the city. In the burbs traffic is bad 7 days a week. In the city traffic is not bad on the weekend and at odd hours. (I'm admitted biased.)

Anything else to be scared about? Hmmm.... theres the bigfoot myth. But I've lived in Oregon for almost 20 years and unfortunately I've never seen him! You'll read about Portland's meth problem. Yes, we have meth addicts. But if you find a family friendly neighborhood then you'll not experience the meth problem.... just hear about it on TV.

Oh our pro basketball team is VERY scary! They are the worst team in the league but number one in arrests. Other than that I can't think of anything scary about Portland.

I feel very safe here. I feel that my children are very safe here. We have a number of urban hiking trails that I take them on all the time. Portland has been rated very high in places to raise kids. There is OMSI (science musuem), CM2 (children's musuem), tons of parks, a diverse parks and rec system (Portland Parks and Rec... I don't know if the burbs have as good of a parks and rec system), and just tons of fun things for kids. Our library system checks our more books per capita than any other city in the US (including NYC and LA!) not to mention we have amazing children's programs at our libraries.

It's a great city! Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:09 AM

8 posts, read 95,903 times
quick comment here - anyplace is what you make of it. If to move to Portland (or anyplace else for that matter) with a positive attitude and outlook, freindly in nature and respectful to others then chances are you'll enjoy yourself. Portland is a big city and as with any city there will be some areas better than others depending on what you need.
Works in theory anyway

Old 11-06-2006, 09:09 AM

11 posts, read 81,666 times
Thanks, everyone -- esp. PDXmom. Your responses were very helpful. Nowhere is perfect, and you have to take the good with the bad. As far as traffic -- Chicago is rated one of the worst, so almost anything would be an improvement. I AM worried about the rain, but I guess all we can do is give it a try.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland